Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keeping warm on the ice
Okay... let's keep this as simple as possible for this simple-minded person.

Clothing:
What do you suggest I get to keep me warm out on the ice?
[signature]
I layer up.

Upper body is thermal shirt (military issue), T shirt, hooded sweater, and a Gortex Jacket (military Issue) and I will carry a Flannel jacket with me incase the wind picks up.

Lower body is thermal bottoms, Levi's, parachute pants and Gortex Pants (military issue).

My feet are the key to keeping warm. Once they get cold I'm froze for the rest of the day until I take a hot shower. I usually wear one pair of thin socks, a pair of thick wool socks and some cold weather boots. I also throw in some toe warmers and they do the trick for the day.

**Edit** and a flask of J.D. always helps lol
[signature]
[Wink] BOOTS !!!!! I HAVE A PAIR OF ICE KINGS BY LACROSSE , AND THEY KEEP MY FEET WARM FOR HOURS IN REAL COLD WEATHER , AND I HAVE BAD FEET !! THE MAIN THING YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER ABOUT KEEPING WARM , YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !

FLAGMANONICE.....
[signature]
vary important!

do not wear tight clothing.

ristricting blood circulation is the number one factor to maintaining your body heat. do not dress so worm that you are caused to swet. once you start sweating your colthes will begin to freze and ultamatly you. hence the loose clothing under your out door thurmals.

wear several layers. if you begain to get worm shed some layers. as you get cooler add layers. lifting or dropping your hood is usualy enough. the reason for this is that you loose 90% of your body heat through the nougin.

I wear both a think knitted stocking hat and my hood

I wear rain tree barand thermal winter outer garments, both over hauls and jacket. they are not water proof so if I get rained on, I get wet. just so long as I am dry I am good to -60 degrease below 0.

same with my feet. It dosnt matter what I wear, if they get wet then my feet will get cold, even if the wetness is brought on by sweat. vary vary important to keep your feet dry. some folks use bread bags between thier light socks and heavy socks prior to placing them in their boot liners.
[signature]
Hermans Survivors - The best boot I've ever worn. 1200 Grams thinsolate. At about $70.00 there a great value too.
[signature]
[#ed0700][size 3]Salsa & chips lots of it!!!!!!!!!!!![/size][/#ed0700]
[signature]
you will want this on your list of thinds to pick up while you are in the woods. you will need a piece of root from the sassifrass tree.

one small piece a 1/8 inch in diamiter about a inch or so long will last you the whole winter. place it in a microwaveable cup and bring it to a boil in the cup. this may require you to turn it on for two minutes then do it again. leave the root in the cup add one heaping table spoon of honey and a little sugar to taist. I end up with about a teaspoon of sugar.

this is vary hot and will stay hot for a long time. this will help keep you healthy when you are spending nurmous hours out in the friged cold. helps with pnimonia and eases the broncial passages. if need be you can add a shot of bacarty rum or other high quality rum. (no cheep stuff) this will break up that junk caught up in your throught.

the sassifrass tea you can start drinking before you get the bug to help keep it away all together.
[signature]
Thanks for all the information. I'm mainly lookin' at the clothing aspect. I've got me the boots. Pretty much the same as what is mentioned above. They've got a comfort rating of -120 degrees and are waterproof, reach up just below my knees.

Think I should wear a dry-suit for ice-diving? Hehe.

What kinds of materials do you recommend for the various layers? What about gloves?
[signature]
Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Hehe. I can live off of chips and salsa if the stuff isn't too salty.
[signature]
[size 2]well I covered gloves on your other post, but I can reitterate it here, no problem, no inconveince, dont mind the effort, its what I do....[sly][/size]

[size 2]in the for mentioned post I had said you will want at least two pair of gloves and a muffler.[/size]

[size 2]you want the heavy gloves to get you out on to the ice and again off of the ice. this pair should be a heavy pair of mittins. this way you keep the circulation in your hands. you dont want any thing that restricts the blood flow to your hands. these gloves will keep you in good shape comfort wise so that you wont already be forzen once you have reached your fishing destination.[/size]

[size 2]for your second pair of gloves a thin pair of cotton gloves will provide you with the needed comfort level and manoverability in the cold to handle fish and remove hooks. here is where the muffler comes in to play. the muffler is like a large tube sock open on both ends that hangs around your neck like a perce. when you are not in action while fishing on the ice you hands will be resting in this muffler.[/size]

[size 2]a good quality muffler will be insulated and both the inner and outer liners will be made of animal furs. muskrat or mink is the best for the inner liner and your long haired furs for the outer liner. (best is wolf, but that is a protected fur, so cyote is next best then folowed by cariboo)[/size]

[size 2]note these are if you are the die hard angler and are going to fish out in the open in the eliments like I do. I dont venture more than a hundred yards from my house to fish so you will need to do as I say and not as I do....[/size]

[size 2]if you are going from a car to a shelter then back to your car then you will not need as much weather protection from the eliments as suggested here. for example those boots that are rated for -120. you feet will sweat and freeze at wormer tempritures. it dose not matter where the water comes from, weather it be from stepping in to a puddle or snow melting on top of the boots or sweat from the inside . the key is staying dry.[/size]

[size 2]cotton layers are best for undergarments 2 or 3 large t-shirts will give you lots of protection against getting your outergarments wet from sweat.[/size]

[size 2]I wear two t's then a sweat shirt then another t' over top the sweat then I pull my winter coat over that. I am able to set out on the lake for hours after my fishing buddies are back in their homes trying to thaw.[/size]

[size 2]same with pants. wear sweat pants under your geans then your overhauls over your geans and drop the legs of your overhauls over top of your boots and close them off with eather provided snaps or attach a shoe string device that will close them around your boods this will keep drafts from entering from below. [/size]
Out here in colorado we wear whats called a "poopy suit" its a one-piece CARHART suit. Wear some poly-fleece type stuff underneath(couple layers) The boots you got will be fine.As for gloves I always bring 2 pair,1 pair big like ski gloves and a pair of thin fleece gloves.This way you're ready for any weather.I second the comment about the neck gaiter-you can also wear a "head sok" its what some snowboarders wear-really warm.If you fish in a hut you dont need as much.Ihave 2-huts but rarely use them-Ilike being outside in the weather and its easier to be mobile. Also I'VE NOTICED ITS EASIER TO STAY WARMER IF YOU'RE CATCHIN!!
[signature]
hmmmm , no life vest ? i use a thin one that fits under my coat . it adds a little protection for core temps , and a whole lotta protection for the unexpected swim ! lol !
[signature]
I just started carrying ice spikes last year after 25 yrs of ice fishing.Never thought about flotation and never seen anyone else using them.It'll never happen to me ,you know?
[signature]
dont forget a slim long rope about 50 - 100 feet long in your sled is a life saver as well. you will want a sinkable ball at one end of the rope so that if your buddy goes down the ball will go down to him. many ropes will float on top of ice cold water, you need one that will go down in to the water relitivly fast.

a golf ball works well. drill a hole through it and put an eye bold through it. also tie a large loop at the ball end so that your bud can rap it around him quick, remember his fealing and movements will fade in a madder of seconds, not minutes.
[signature]
i've seen fishing vests and shirts with a co2 charged personal floatation device sewn right in . they look just like the regular articals but cost about $20.00 more . it's a pretty good investment for a persons future if they ever needed to use it .
[signature]