Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorge Report 10/18 & 10/19
Headed out early Saturday and was on the water at 10 a.m. - About 20 boats in Linwood. 3/4's were trolling and the rest jigging. After talking with my brother that went up Thursday and fished all day Friday - he said he had a few hits on the old pop gear and worm and nothing on all the flatfish colors he had tried.

After making a couple of trolling passes it was apparent that is alot of fish stacked up in the bay. About that time my brother motors over and showed us a nice 20 lber. that he caught on the pop & worm. It was a nice fish caught at 80' in 90' of water.

So, I put one outfit down with pop gear & worm. I'm sure we all have had days where only ONE rod goes off over & over - this was that kind of day. The old pop & worm combo was hooking them but my release wouldn't let them go. After loosing my third hookup I was needing a strategy change. So I went back to my Kokanee release - the Rubberband and naturally I never had another biter that day.

Sunday was only about 10 boats and all but 2 were trolling. I had my first hook up within 30 minutes - a nice 23" eater - the ones they want you too take. Then in about 30 minutes we hooked up again and my wife looses it near the boat. Then 2 more good bites but was unable to hook them.

So weekend totals - 8 good bite - at least 6 were on a few seconds and one fish.

Camp ground and marina will be closing on Nov. 2nd. Weather was great - no wind and warm - very usual for Wyoming this time on year.

This was my first time targeting just Macks and I have to say that I did learn a lot about feeling the bite at 70' to 100'. And about how important the release is in fighting a fish.
[signature]
I am sure you have enough expirience and have figured out what you want to do, but heres what has worked for me, just in case you or anyone else can benefit.

I have found that if you put the line half way in the clip, and just close it until it clicks twice, theres enough tension to get the hook set in the mouth, and also pop the clip. But I use fireline instead of mono, and it slips through the clips easier than mono.

Most of the time, the fish we do loose are due to bigger fish than the tackle can handle and something breaks, few get off after hook up.
[signature]
Hey Lundman,

Sorry you were unsuccessful in getting a few more fish into the net. You mention that the marina will be closing November 2nd. This doesn't mean that the ramp will be closed does it?
[signature]
Hey Predator, I appreciated reading about your release method, since I've never used a release before. When I bought my used boat I was given a downrigger with it, and wondered just how tight that release needs to be. I guess experience with the particular release is most important, but I might have to miss a bunch completely before finding just the right tension. Do you generally put the line right through the middle of the pads, then snap it down a couple of clicks? Would I be better off buying one of those rubber band types? (Sounds like a lot of money for a little plastic thing and a bunch of rubber bands!)
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I use rubber band releases on my Big Jon Riggers. We also stack with bands. They work great on mono but superlines are another story. I've experienced slippage with superlines. I like rubber bands especially if smaller fish hit you can see the strike. The tip bounces where a regular release makes it hard to detect. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]You can buy all sizes of rubber bands at Staples or Office max to match any situation. Make sure you don't leave them in the sun for extended periods of time. The rubber deteriorates in no time.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Hey lundman, thanks for the report.Wish you could have gotten into more and bigger fish. I put the boat a way for the winter because of the hunts coming up (deer and pheasant) So i enjoy reading other reports since I wont be back to the gorge until next spring. Just wanted to comment on releases for the down rigger. I cant stand the cannon release that clicks,so I went with a release made by off-shore tackle. Sold at Sportmans. They come in light and medium tension. I think it was $3-4.00 or so. Any way give it a try I think you will like it.
[signature]
Yo Lundman! Thanks for the report. Did you notice whether any of the jiggers were catching any fish? How late in the Fall does the good laker fishing last in Linwood Bay? I was hoping to get back up there before mid-November, but I don't know whether it would be worth it. I'm strictly a jigger. Thanks for your help.
[signature]
Yup the jiggers were catching alot of littler fish in the 20" to 25" range. I had my wife with me and she is not a jigger so we trolled the whole time.

The camp ground and marina store will be closing on Nov. 2nd. The ramp is open year around - just watch the east side of the ramp - the concrete has about a 15" dropoff that will hang your boat trailer tires and you will have to un load your boat and move over to get over it.

Thanks for the tips on the releases - they are the key to downrigger fishing.

Have a great day and watch for fall it is coming this weekend...
[signature]
I was in a Green Lund inboard with gold trim and a white top. I have a pair of Scotty downriggers and we didn't get on the water till about 8:30 on Sunday. Sounds like you had a great day. Since it was my first time going after the macks I still have a lot to learn.

Did you get to go through the Game Checking Station on the way back?

Remember to leave a piece of skin on the fish if you filet. You have to be able to identify the species or you can win a $$$ TICKET. My brother got a warning on his 20 lber.

Look forward to your report - Stay warm out there this weekend - and watch the wind - it is supposed to be blowing pretty good.

Here is the weather site for Manila: [url "http://wwwa.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/local_index.asp?zipcode=84046&partner=accuweather"]http://wwwa.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/local_index.asp?zipcode=84046&partner=accuweather[/url]
[signature]
40 mph wind gusts on Friday and 37 mph gusts on Saturday doesn't sound like ideal vertical jigging weather!
[signature]