Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Identification Crisis!
Hey guys! Last week I tried my chances on the Des Plaines River. I had doubts about the fishing success I would have there but to my astounding surprise I pulled out what appears to be a juvenile tiger muskie. It was quite a moment - this is my first "real" fish besides bluegill - and to think it was lurking in the Des Plaines!!

I've read numerous books and articles about deciphering a tiger muskie from a northern pike and a muskellunge. This gorgeous fish shares characteristics of both species. It has 10 or 11 pores under its chin, rounded off fins and unique markings. It was approximately 16 inches long. Can anyone help me with classifying this fantastic fish? Is it truly the elusive tiger muskie?

[Image: photo2-1.jpg]
Here we are!
[signature]
I've seen a few juvenile tiger muskie and I doubt that is what you are holding, more likely northern pike or a muskellunge. By the way, welcome to the site.
[signature]
That is most definitely a tiger muskie.
All the pike I have ever caught (hundreds) always have had five pores on each side under the jaw for a total of ten. Muskies and tigers vary, can have six to ten under each side but always more than five, never just five.
By the time a pike gets that big it has the distinctive markings of a northern pike. The great lakes strain muskies in the Niagara river and lake Erie near me will by the time they are that big have spots and usually no bars. The Chautauqua muskies that size have a mix of bars and spots but the bars are wider than on your fish.
I guess all I can say is once you've seen enough of all three you will immediately know which one you are looking at.
Juveniles smaller than that can be difficult to tell apart because they are all similar when less than a foot or so long.
No mistake about it, I am positive that is a tiger.
[signature]
Great looking fish!!! I would go with Northern pike or pickeral?
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
nice posts........
[signature]
pretty fish, I am thinking its a pike
[signature]
that is one of the coolest color variations of a tiger musky ive ever seen. i grew up next to a resevior that was solid packed with musky(the natural "eastern" strain), and northern pike.ive caught thousands of each and with the bars and spots you have , with the orange fins, you definetely have a hybrid.this is usually a sterile offspring of a male northern and female musky.it will never breed, but is agresive like a pike with the ability to grow large fast. i agree with lungemaster this is definetely a tiger.pretty fish l, keep on fishin, and keep the pics comin.
[signature]
I can't help you on your question, but you look almost exactly like my friend Brittany! Beautiful fish too.
[signature]