Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
yuba 6-8
I had to try for a pike, I'd never caught one, it's not every day I can cross something off the bucket list. I also caught some carp, but they seem like a different sub species, for one thing they have a barbed spike on the dorsal like a catfish.
[signature]
Well good job checking one off the bucket list, it's nice to see that Yuba is starting to make a comeback. Wow that is one nasty lookin carp, is that normal for them to lose scales like that ?
[signature]
Mirror carp.
[signature]
[quote walleyebob]Mirror carp.[/quote]

And yes it is normal for them to look that way.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
We used to call them leather carp, I've seen some with only a couple of scales the size of a beer can. I just couldn't remember if they all have the spike on the back. By the way I cooked the pike, the carp and some white bass in the some oil and they were all good, I have to say those pike are a challenge to debone.
[signature]
bad bob! bad!! never eat the bait! bait is used to catch fish that are for eating.. chub, carp, anchovies, squid, worms, are bait and you should never eat them!! yuck vomit,, lmao.. [sly][:p]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]All carp have that strong serrated dorsal spine. That is how a lot of people end up snagging carp is in that spine. It also gets tangled in nets and can tear your tender flesh too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I once got three large carp (accidentally) in my fine mesh cast net when throwing for minnows. They got that net tangled in their spines and when they started thrashing and rolling around they totally trashed my expensive cast net. I stomped their heads to mush and released them unharmed.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the answer, I guess I haven't looked that close lately, They were two size groups one foot and three feet, You don't think there are more than one sub species in utah?
[signature]
I know, it's a poor fisherman that eat's his own bait, that's why I quit using Velveeta.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Both are common carp...with the same scientific name...Cyprinus carpio. Not a separate variety or subspecies. Just some genetic differences that pop up randomly...even in the same batch of eggs from the same female. Wherever you find regular carp you will usually find some mirrors too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In days of old...when carp were just one of the mix in Yuba, and largely kept under some control by the predators...a high percentage of the carp seemed to be the mirror type. On many fishing trips we would try to catch one or two before fishing for perch walleye or catfish...and we would cut them into strips for bait. We usually tipped our jigs with strips of carp meat and caught all species...even other carp.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey Pat dont you have an old post on how to take the y bone off pike ? You should repost it for those who dont know how to fillet a pike so they dont end up throwing the fish away because of the bones.[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I included some pics of the skinless boneless fillets from some pike on an old post but I have never done a step by step tutorial.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]However[url "http://www.pinesunsetlodge.com/how-to-remove-pike-y-bones-video.htm"] HERE IS A LINK[/url] to a great 4 minute video showing the process of finding and slicing out the Y bones. The pike in the video is a small one...about the same size as the average being caught at Yuba right now.[/#0000ff]
[signature]