Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flygoddess how to tie?
[#502800]Hey Flygoddess ....... What is your take on how to tie the nose of this fly?....... Is it spun hair or is it eggyarn that is cinched down, or what?[/#502800]
[signature]
I don't wanna be too rude and answer a question that is specificallly for FG, but...

I guess it could be egg yarn, but I'd say its most likely rams wool.
[signature]

A little blurry, but, how would I tie it? With spun deer hair or wool. Wool would be easier to work with. I have made perch patterns using both. I say which ever you are most comfortable with. The wool could absorb more water than the hair too.

[Image: 2006-06-08002.jpg]

[Image: Perch3.jpg]
[signature]
[#502800]OK thanks everyone....... I haven't done much with wool, but I might as well give it a shot ...... As you say the picture is a little blurry so I couldn't detect what kind of material it was tied with ........ I had even heard that they have come out with fuzzy sculpin helmets, but I am pretty sure that is not one.[/#502800]
[#502800][/#502800]
[#502800]Good looking flies ........ Is that congo hair on the bottom one?[/#502800]
[signature]
Orvis Super Hair. Thanks
[signature]
It could also be spun craft fur.
[signature]
If the original posters pic is one from a catalog, I'd say they use the cheapest, least expensive materials....if it's a picture that a fly tyer has posted, then the material/time it takes to make each fly wouldn't matter as much.

FlyGoddess' full body spun hair fly,(although beautiful) most likely won't find itself on the market to buy- its too time consuming to mass produce.IMHO

I tied 4 wool headed streamers today(at work)- and with a little help from a couple Sharpies, I threw some un-needed "flash" into the heads--too bad my camera won't take a macro pic..because the result was very close to what was pictured.

It "looks" good...but all the faded colors are just wasted time, unless you are fishing crystal clear, slow water, where the fish has tons of time to look at the fly for minutes.

Wool is easy to tie in, less messy than hair, but it does add wet weight.
[signature]
Go to Hobby Lobby and buy the little pom pom fluffs they sell. Thread it up the hook , tie the body of the fly into it and wrapp it off. [Wink]
[signature]
Be careful with some materials. They might not be water proof or fade. I tried some hobby store Ostrich...olive, it is now white and fish are no longer interested.[cool]

This fly could be achieved with foam too for the head. But again, different action.
[signature]
Yeah it seems like their feathers are not so good on the dye jobs there. I bought some different color mariboo at a hobby store and they all eventually bleach out.

The cloth/yarn stuff seems to retain the colors though.

Good tip! [Smile]
[signature]
i wonder if you soak the material in vinegar, it may keep the color from fading as much. It works with other things that i have dyed.
[signature]
Good idea. And Vinegar is cheap. Works on easter eggs...LOL
[signature]
Might work, but then how do you get rid of the vinegar smell? Or would the fish even care?? Guess I will just have to try it and see.

The dye washing out isn't too big a deal though. I just ended up throwing the fly away mid way through the day and tied on another one.
[signature]
"get rid of the vinegar smell..."

Are you kidding me? Gawd, I was wet wading last weekend and farted while waist deep (t-baggin). If, that didn't cause problems, nothing will. All I'm saying is Double Bacon Blue Cheesburgers w/ Bourbon sautee' onions rock, until the next day.....
[signature]