Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
blue cats
Heys guys can anyone tell me some tips on catching nice size blue catfish from the shore. And I will be fishing near dallas tx. Thank you
[signature]
If your going after big ones first advice is have the right equipment and have all equipment complimenting the other. This is my setup for 20-40lb range. 8/0 circle hooks. The cheapest hooks to buy that are good quality are on ebay. I buy the offshore hooks. I get a 100 for 15.50 and pay $3 shipping. Depending on the current I use 3-8oz No-roll sinkers. Small current 3 oz will be ok. Buy far the cheapest sinkers are online. Can google "sinker man". I buy the assualt pack which will last you years but you sink $81 into it. anything over $25 you buy from him is free shipping and he has alot more than norolls that are cheaper. I had to buy some from walmart saturday till mine came in and these were 4 sinkers for almost $4. Those sinkers online are .20 a piece. The rod as long as its a thick rod will handle 20lbers all day long and you can find a $22 rod at walmart. Ugly sticks are good cheaper rod for around $35. And it just depends on if you want a baitcaster(good cheap one is tidewater) or openface. 20lb line is ok for20lb fish and i use berkley biggame line because you get alot of tough line for cheap. The heavier the current is the shorter of a leader i have. General use 12-16 inches is good leader size. Make sure all your knots are palomar knots. Look it up on youtube if you dont know how to tie it. Molofilament line or braid. If you use braid make sure the real is qualified for it and the first 20 feet should be mono if you use braid and just tie the braid and mono together, if you try to put braid straight onto the reel it will slip and never be able to reel in a fish. Make sure to get a bigger swivel and put a bead between the sinker and the swivel or the weights will damage your knots. Bait wise bluegill is good and cut it a little. I always cut the top fin off because thats one thing that can get in the way of a good hookset. When you put your bait on make sure to wipe off the tip of your hook also so you can get a good hookset. When you do get a fish biting dont yank to set the hook with circle hooks just barely pull up and reel at the same time. The reason i use circle hooks is if you plan on releasing a fish it doesnt gut hook them. If you use a jay hook make sure to get a bet yank on the hookset. Goodluck
[signature]
Live bait has been my best way to catch the blues.. I use a cast net and get some huge shad .... 4" to 6".

hook them right behind the top fin and not anywhere near their organs so they stay alive.

I have caught huge blues that way.

Don't know about Texas though.

When I lived there I fished for red fish and other saltwater fish in Galveston bay and the getties in in Galveston.
[signature]
I agree with both posts above, Im a firm believer in whole hooked bait fish, if i cant get that or cut bait ill use raw beef stew meat. Id go with a carolina or modified 3-way.
I have been wanting too test the santee rig.
[signature]