Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah boat insurance requirements
never been to Mantua I take it?

Used to suggest they needed the funds for the Policeman's ball's, but was informed they have none, so . . .

One thing that struck me, as I met with the prosecuting attorney on the second trip (after pleading not guilty, then nailing a bunch of trout at the inlet - from SHORE! No wake - guaranteed!) was how shocked he seemed at seeing a "clean record" such as mine. Guess they aren't used to that.

Still cost me a couple hundred that I could have WELL spent otherhow.

As far as insurance - trailers. As I understand it - you only need to license a trailer if it has a double axle. Don't know what that means for insurance.
It has been suggested I should remove the old Nevada plate from my trailer, since (1) not needed (2) Nevada has quaggas...

So - now I gotta check, do I not need the Progressive insurance, if the homeowners could cover it?
Signed up through the same insurance group, but it went out to Progressive.

Maybe we should ask Troutbumdave!
Yote I have the same question, I was told that I needed a separate liability coverage and so I had to go to a different company and I don't think my agent was getting a kickback from them since it wasn't the company he represented. I'd love to save a hundred bucks a year if my other umbrella policy would cover it. Lets get an insurance rep or state guy or gal to join in this conversation and let us know how it should work. Thanks J
[signature]
The way I presume it works is - to "HAVE" a boat, say in your driveway - your home policy probably covers the boat if -say - the tree the neighbor killed were to drop on it and damage it.

But to "OPERATE" the boat, you need insurance coverage, liability, injury, as well as damage, replacement.

But I'm no insurance expert.

I could have got a lawyer and forced Barney to "prove" what kind of wake was made. (but where was he when a big sailboat almost ran us down!)
Easily would have cost me more than the fine. Entered a "plea in abeyance" (if that's spelled right) - where you basically accept guilt without really admitting guilt. Then if you keep your nose clean for - 6 months I think it was - then charges are dropped. Otherwise - it falls to your "record", subject to points and all that good stuff. Normally - ANY other violation during that period (stop sign, speeding - any "vehicle" citation, even if it's not in a boat) would kick in the guilty plea.

With the clean record, judge was kind enough to narrow that threat by limiting it to another of the same violation. But I still watched my tail passing thru that speed trap!

IF the officer who entered the citation doesn't show up in court - chances are good the whole thing gets thrown out.

But typically - the "system" will still get their piece of flesh.

Oh - and if comes to word of mouth - your word vs an officer's word - um, guess who the judge will side with? And don't ever diss a judge. Laughing at or flipping off a judge, um - not a good plan (article last year).

Generation "Y"= why should I?!
[quote Goldster]
A DNR field officer inspected my boat and issued me a citation for...
G[/quote]

[quote UTmuddguy]one more interesting tidbit is that under allocation rules 85% of boating fine money is allocated to state parks so state park rangers have some incentive to write tickets ...[/quote]

[quote CoyoteSpinner]never been to Mantua I take it?

Used to suggest they needed the funds for the Policeman's ball's, but was informed they have none, so . . . [/quote]

Make up your minds guys. Goldster claimed the LEO was "DNR". Not State Parks and not "Police". DNR. If this is correct, then the DNR CO would have had NO incentive to falsely write citations in anticipation of some added benefit to him personally.

I don't buy it fellas. I just don't believe for 1 second that the citation was written out of spite, or for some kind of personal gain by the LEO. Lack of understanding of the rules? Probably. Mistake? Sure. False accusation for personal gain? No way.
[signature]
I once had a judge tell me that she weighs more for the officer than the individual - I was told that IN COURT!
[signature]
Yote my understanding of insurance is similar to yours, I think we need something to cover if we do something to damage someone else or their property and I don't think the homeowners policy does that away from your home, but I could be wrong as well. Later J
[signature]
PBH,

I suspect that few people (other than maybe yourself) really give a damn WHY the officer gave the ticket. Let me make it simple for ya here ... what's got most of us torked off here is that he shouldn't have. Just because he can, doesn't mean it was right for him to write the ticket.

Shame, shame, shame on him. Anyone in a position of public trust should KNOW better. And shame on anyone (judge, jury, or BFT poster) who defends those actions.

Yea, I know, you aren't necessarily defending him ... just trying to have an intelligent disscussion.
[signature]
good grief Coot.

I'm not defending his [LEO] actions. I simply disagreed with the original posters theory that the citation was written in an attempt for the LEO to have some kind of personal gain out of falsely citing people. I don't believe that for a second.

I do, however, believe that the LEO may not understand the law with regards to boat motor size and insurance requirements, which is a shame!

I still don't believe that this is some kind of conspiracy.

Call it what it is: a mistake. That doesn't justify it by any means, and the original poster certainly has a legitimate gripe on his hands -- but it's not a conspiracy!
[signature]
I don't know if it's a conspiracy, or what - but my Facebook has been infested by pop-ups that get past the pop-up blocker...kinda ironic, cops, insurance, donuts . . . what can I say!

Anyone else run into this (or know how to get RID of it!):

[inline "pigs n donuts.jpg"]
<--- Independent Insurance Broker for eight years.

Lot's of questions here; very few answers.

100% of boat owners should own an insurance policy. Period. End of story. Most are less than $100.00 a year. My commission on 95% of my boat policies: $6.00 per year, give or take $0.50. I simply HATE it when someone calls me to insure a boat, because it isn't even close to worth my time, but because I'm such a stud-muffin, I usually get the rest of their insurance so it's no big deal. I only tell you guys this crap because I'm not trying to gain anything by telling you to insure your boats.

Secondly, every company out there has a different way of insuring "stuff". Some automatically cover certain things, while others don't. If you are with a captive insurer (Farmers, State Farm, All State, GEICO, etc) then I can't help you -- if you're with Bear River, Safeco, Auto Owners, Progressive, Cincinnati, United, Hartford, Met, etc. then give me a shout and I can find out for you.

If you've got specific questions in general, let me know and I'll either give you my two cents, or find out from the horses mouth and let you know.
[signature]