Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Koks
Spent a very fine weekend at Strawberry in pursuit of those illusive kokanee. After a substantial search and trying many of the traditional kokanee lures and techniques finally did score on a few, six in all of perhaps three year classes. I found them in the open water at Soldier Creek primarily at 25 ft depths, trolling at 2 mp with a fluorescent wobbler that I won't name. The thermocline begins at 20 ft and progresses down to 35 where it settles at 50 deg F.

While attempting to catch the koks, I hooked up on many cutthroats and rainbows. It's amazing how spoiled we get. Years ago I would have been thrilled to catch 1/10 th the numbers of even smaller fish but now I feel like they are a nuisance because they make it hard to get one's lures out for the koks or the biggies.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I am planning on going up there on sunday to fish for them. My wife wants to chase tags so maybe we can do both.
[signature]
Good Luck. Since the tags are on rainbows that tend to orient to the shore, your chances for koks could be reduced. The rainbow bite was odd. I had one evening with a strong NW wind that rainbows dominated the catch, quite different most of the weekend. I did catch fair number in the open water. Most fishers on Sat were concentrated inshore which I interpreted as being on the hunt for those tags.
[signature]
Went to the berry this past weekend. Went out of strawberry bay for the first time...usually go to soldier creek side. Not too impressed. Like the fishing over at soldier creek better. hooked up with a bunch of cutts from 20-30 ft. in 50-65 ft. of open water. No luck with kokes but I will keep on the hunt for them at the soldier creek side this year.
[signature]