Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spincast gear ratio
About six years ago I was badly injured in a car accident. My motor skills are very limited, and I have found spincast reels to now be my best option for bass fishing. I have found the quality and performance of these reels to be inferior, when compared to a typical spinning or baitcast reel I used before. I have tried several models of spincast reels, most of the nicer brands including, Pflueger, Diawa, Abu Garcia, and Zebco.

One of the biggest diSadvantages I have found when using these reels, is the gear ratio. I believe the highest gear ratio I have found, in a spincast, is 3.6:1. This creates a slight problem when I'm trying to burn a spinner bait. [Wink]

I have been doing some research on how these reels are designed, looking to build a better mousetrap. Before I delve into this any further I thought I would ask, has anyone has tried to tackle this before? I appreciate any information, or suggestions you guys can offer.

Thanks,
Josh
[signature]
Hi Josh.

Sorry to hear about your accident and the resulting limited motor skills... [Image: sad.gif]

I used spincast reels when growing up... and "graduated" to baitcasting reels when - at the time - I too needed a faster retrieve ratio in order to burn spinnerbaits and buzzbaits.

Although I now use both spincast and baitcast reels - depending upon the circumstances/techniques - unfortunately, I don't know a solution to your problem.

I've seen some that have a shade over a 4.0 ratio, but nothing that really approaches the 6.0 or higher that's available on a lot of baitcasters... sorry!

I guess if it was me, I'd just make do with what works best for "me". And if that's a spincast, then that's what I'd use. Personally, I use the Zebco Omega (7 bearings) and the Zebco 33 Platinum (5 bearings). Both are quality reels and reasonably priced (~$65 & ~$35 respectively).

Good luck to you!! [Smile]
[signature]