Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need a master fly tier
I've searched forums high and low and I've not been able to find anyone who can tie one of my favorite patterns- the Sandy Mite. The Sandy Mite has other names and varieties and was invented by a German hair weaver named Franz Potts. Angler's Inn used to carry them, or you could find them around but not anymore. I've tried ebay, and other internet sites but no go...especially for the sizes and colors I'm after. From what I've read on other forums is that people don't want to spend the time weaving flies anymore.

Anyone here, what about you FG, know how to tie it? PM me if you know how to tie them.

Here are a few links...

[url "http://www.theweeklyfly.com/TWF/?s=sandy+mite&sentence=AND&disp=search"]http://www.theweeklyfly.com/TWF/?s=sandy+mite&sentence=AND&disp=search[/url]

[url "http://shop.jimmysflyshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75_101&products_id=233"]http://shop.jimmysflyshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75_101&products_id=233[/url]

gaetz
[signature]
I know how to weave but it is a lot of work. This with the horse mane is insane. The whole jig deal....sorry, not my cup of tea. Good luck.
[signature]
Thanks for the look FG. I may have to resort to getting my own tools and supplies and learning the craft myself!

gaetz
[signature]
I could tie them but you'd have to show me where you caught that massive brown and they cost about the same as those listed in Jimmy's website.
[signature]
I just don't have the time right now. Maybe this fall/winter I could give it a go. I do need the horse hair though. But, I definitely WOULDN'T charge you for them. Don't charge family.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]As a kid in Idaho the "mites" were about the only flies used by my dad and uncles. They fished them on old undressed fly lines and their presentations were anything but finesse. But those things caught lots of fish and they were sturdy...holding up to lots of big toothy trout. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am sure they still work today but it has been many years since I had one tied on my line. Like many fly flingers I have "evolved" to newer patterns that use different materials and are easier to tie. In fact, I can find no rationalization for even using them except "tradition". [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The Potts flies were developed before the use of marabou (turkey blood quills) became popular and were so widely available...cheap. It is hard to beat the fish-attraction of marabou. And there are so many new synthetic materials that also make some fantastically effective patterns.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When you come over for the rod repair thing I can show you some options and sample you on some patterns to try...as potential replacements. I can also show you what is involved in the weaving process...just in case you are masochistic enough to want to persist in sticking with the hair flies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I respectfully suggest that sometimes it is more important to just have basic colors, size and presentation skills rather than an exact pattern. The Potts flies are strictly "representational" patterns that can simulate a wide range of potential food items. It's not like they match any hatches. So other patterns of similar size, shape and color will generally get similar results. And substituting modern sexy colors and more active materials can even improve on the originals.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I still have a to read twice at times to visioning you TD as a fly fisher.
I was thinking some alternative material as well, but it all comes back to nothing beats the original.
There are some old school English nymphs that just don't work the same with other material. Plus the fact that different hair, feathers, even synthetic have their own properties. An example, rabbit will become water soaked and sink, Muskrat looks the same but is water repellent. Not all hair is hollow which means some is better for dries than others. Foam, if wrapped tied looses its floating ability because it is compressed. So on a with different feathers.
I have heard of this Mite and it is special indeed. Again, I will keep an eye out for Horse hair. Sure there are other flies that might fit the bill.

Tight lines
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are definitely some patterns that were designed to perform in a specific way...and to imitate specific food items. And the original designs included materials that would make the pattern work exactly as planned by the master fly tyer. As you say, it is sometimes hard to improve on the original.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]However, I think all of us have had days when anything of a general size and color wanted by the fish would get enthusiastic acceptance. And most of us have had times when the more chewed up and unrecognizable the fly became the better it worked.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have long believed that a good angler can catch fish on the "wrong" fly or lure...and a poor angler may have trouble catching fish on even the hot lure or fly. Ultimately it often boils down to a combination of experience and confidence. The better you are able to properly present the fly...and fish it with confidence...the more likely you will be to catch fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah...about me being a fly fisherman. That is what I was before I grew up. Contrary to what some elitists would have you believe becoming a fly fishermen is not the upper end of the evolutionary cycle of angler progression. It is an enjoyable and productive method of fishing...but so are many others. And yes, it does require many elements of skill and refined tackle to realize the best results. But to me fly fishing is only one of many ways I may choose to go forth upon the waters. And in recent years it has taken a back seat to other pursuits. I still love it...but not as much.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Guys and Gals-

Thanks for your input on this matter. I cracked up at your "masochistic" comment....it really must be a bugger to tie. I'm neither an elitist or traditionalist and don't really care about the presentation or color of the fly, it's just nice to have a little variety. But there is one thing I do believe, and that is when you strip that mite back upstream towards you and that horse-hair colar pulsates, it's drives the browns crazy. Having said that, there is also something about the nostalgia of it since that is what I caught my first fish on over 30 years ago. It also is a great pattern for my kids to use behind a bubble.

TD, I would love to see some of your ideas. I'll ring you after the 4th. Hopefully baseball will be over by then.

Regards,

gaetz
[signature]
Hey Old Troller-

I would love to show you where that brown came from but I'm afraid it's water that is no longer accessible to me. It's Sad when all the big corporate outfits like Orvis and the like come in, buy it up, and lock the gate behind them. Don't know if I'll ever be able to fish it again, unless it's from a boat. Not a bad idea, but the big browns don't come out until after dark.

If you are serious about the flies, I'd love to buy some off you. PM sent your way.

thanks,

gaetz
[signature]