Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring invasion of Stripers Tips on what to use!
It's time to stock up for the spring invasion of stripers. Here are a few choice lures that I use and would not go without. Let's start with the spin casters. #1, Berkley inshore power pogy 4" chartruse w/a black back riged with a 1/2 oz. lead head and hook. Works great especially in the rivers. Cast out, let it sink and reel slow. #2, Fin-S split tail herring 5" silver body w/a blue back. Rig this with a 5/0 or 6/0 offset long shank hook. Great surface action. Reel slow with a few light jerks keeping the bait fluttering up to the surface and your sure to nail'em. Great for rivers that produce a lot of herring or alewives. #3, Chrome Creek Chub Popper 5" with white buck tail. If you plan to use this on the Sheepscot or Kennebec remember to take off one of the trebles. <br><br>For the fly guys/girls I have had a great deal of success using Chartruse clousers on a super fast sinking line 9wt. rod with a 12lbs. leader. Also try these color combos on streamers, silver body with blue, green, pink, and chartruese backs. Brighter colors for further up river where the water is more brackish. Here is my all time favorite. 9wt. floating WTF rocket with 12 lbs. leader using a chartruse slurper or top water popper. Use the action of your rod with the retrieve. The best thing since sliced bread on schooling stripers.<br><br>Well, gotta run. Good luck this season<br>Tight Lines,<br>Capt. Rick <br><br>