Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some good news on Utah Lake
What's your problem with my post bro? You watch and see...more and more channel cats and other species of fish in utah lake are gonna be getting caught now because there's not as many carp to try getting the bait from. I don't know the history of when the first carp were in Utah Lake but i'm guessing it's been 50+ years and changing the way its been in a ecosystem for 50+ years isn't the way to go.

Strawberry Reservoir has way smaller Rainbow trout now as well. 4 to 5 years ago 18inch rainbows were the average catch and now when ever we go up there, that's usually the biggest one... More and more people fish each year and like i said, watch and see the size of the other fish in utah lake go down.
[signature]
Or maybe they will get bigger once the carp are gone and stop eating up all of the natural bait in the lake. Then the natural vegitation could grow back creating better habitat for the bait so that there is even more bait for the remaining fish to grow even larger.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
In theory that could work but when they advertise how few carp there are in the lake and how crystal clear it is (if it actually gets that much clearer) the lake will become more and more popular to fish and people are gonna over fish the lake. The reason why you catch big channel cats and such over there is because they were able to remain uncaught for a large period of time because of most of your catches being carp.
[signature]
I catch very few carp in Utah Lake. I do snag a few and have caught a couple. Recently someone was asking for a good carp bait recipe because he was targeting carp and not catching them. It isnt the carp rushing to the bait causing an issue. They are however devastaing to the eco-system. You see large pods of them rooting anywhere you go.
[signature]
[quote FishingLunatic]In theory that could work but when they advertise how few carp there are in the lake and how crystal clear it is (if it actually gets that much clearer) the lake will become more and more popular to fish and people are gonna over fish the lake. The reason why you catch big channel cats and such over there is because they were able to remain uncaught for a large period of time because of most of your catches being carp.[/quote]

[#000080]Deleted[/#000080] No need to get into it with you, as you've pretty much stated that you don't know the history of the lake, or the carp. I'm one of those guys that actually spends several days a week targeting carp, as they're one of my favorite species to catch -- and Utah Lake is one of my least favorite places to go for them, as they're not real interested in eating "the bait". In fact, with well over 300 hours on UL this year, I've caught a grand total of 5 carp, two of which were snagged on accident.
[signature]
I've never fished UT lake but I've fished billions of lakes with carp in them and the jordan river coming from it and put on a worm on your hook, a worm with a small bread ball on it, plain bread ball or even power bait...Carp are the easiest fish to catch. If there where you're throwing it, they'll take it anywhere.
[signature]
Unless they dredge the lake out it will never be clear again. In the natural life of a true lake in the end they always turn turbid from being shallow. The wind can churn up the water enough to keep a muddy look to the water at all times. While it may get better after the carp are thinned out it will never be clear again.

I must have a very different fishing experience from there than yourself. It is very rare that I have carp take my bait or lures while fishing there. Most of the carp that I have caught out of there have been foul hooked when the get in the path of my lure on it's way back.

It will beinteresting to see how this will play out as the carp numbers are reduced.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
[quote TroutBumDave][quote FishingLunatic]In theory that could work but when they advertise how few carp there are in the lake and how crystal clear it is (if it actually gets that much clearer) the lake will become more and more popular to fish and people are gonna over fish the lake. The reason why you catch big channel cats and such over there is because they were able to remain uncaught for a large period of time because of most of your catches being carp.[/quote]

[#0000BF]Deleted [/#0000BF]No need to get into it with you, as you've pretty much stated that you don't know the history of the lake, or the carp. I'm one of those guys that actually spends several days a week targeting carp, as they're one of my favorite species to catch -- and Utah Lake is one of my least favorite places to go for them, as they're not real interested in eating "the bait". In fact, with well over 300 hours on UL this year, I've caught a grand total of 5 carp, two of which were snagged on accident.[/quote]

Really? It has been a few years, but back on our first of a total two trips out to UT lake, I hooked up on five. I thought it a rush and blast, but also very easy. Has it changed?
[signature]
The only good carp is a dead carp. I've never seen a nastier ugly looking fish. I have fished UL more than your average angler, and even with all the efforts to clean up the carp...it's my opinion that only a small dent will be put into that population. They lay so many eggs and grow so fast and widespread that it is very hard to make progress. But like it's been mentioned, any effort is better than none.

UL is a unique system. Shallow and covering many miles. I just have a feeling that carp will habitat that lake for a long, long time still.
[signature]
Uhh dude I'm 18 years old and don't have a job and fish several days a week to. I catch tons of carp in the jordan river near the cities that isn't even close to utah lake. My favorite ones to catch are utah suckers and they always are in areas where the water looks a certain way. Most of the time I purposely avoid going to the spots I know where the carp will be. Utah Lake is the big pond supplying to carp which travel down stream. There's gonna be more of the carp near the lake than in the city. I got the pictures to prove it. When it comes to fishing I know what I'm doing.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]
Really? It has been a few years, but back on our first of a total two trips out to UT lake, I hooked up on five. I thought it a rush and blast, but also very easy. Has it changed?[/quote]

Well, I will say this, you present your flies a hell of a lot better than I do, and I could learn a thing or two. The only time I can stick 'em with a fly rod is when they're slurping on the surface and I can sight cast them -- other than that, I can't get them on the fly. (in UL at least) I'm always dragging a bait of some kind in UL while I fly fish, and I've only caught 1 or 2 that way this year. On the other hand, I've caught hundreds of cat fish.

So, I guess everyone's experiences will be different, but I doubt the 18 year old has much of an idea of what's really going on. Or he could be a genius and I'm a bitter old curmudgeon.
[signature]
LOL to anyone who thinks carp are a good thing for any lake around here. They are proven habitat destroyers and will change any ecosystem for the worse. It's not just fish that suffer from the carp. Go take a look at mudlake where there used to be tons of vegetation in the shallows for migrating waterfowl to feed on. The stinkin carp uproot it all and leave it a mess. KILL ALL THE CARP[mad]
[signature]
[quote EvilTyeDyeTwin]
The company I work for says that they do not want you to mention your place of employment on the web...............
[/quote]

Wait. You have a job?[:p]
[signature]

. I'm one of those guys that actually spends several days a week targeting carp, as they're one of my favorite species to catch -- and Utah Lake is one of my least favorite places to go for them, as they're not real interested in eating "the bait". In fact, with well over 300 hours on UL this year, I've caught a grand total of 5 carp, two of which were snagged on accident.[/quote]

Have ever cut some open to see what they are feeding on?
[signature]
[quote FishingLunatic]Uhh dude I'm 18 years old. When it comes to fishing I know what I'm doing.[/quote]

LOL! Ahhh, the good ole days. I miss being 18 and knowing everything.[:p]
[signature]
[quote castnshoot]
Have ever cut some open to see what they are feeding on?[/quote]

You know, I really haven't. As much as I enjoy fishing for them, I'm not a real fan of handling them. To most of your dismay, I'm sure, I release them as well. I wouldn't go as far as to take them from a drying creek and move them, but if I'm on the water, I just let them go. I have, on rare occasion, I've given them a TubeDude-ectomy, but I just don't like killing things. (unless it's bunnies, and then, damn... game on!)

I have my go-to flies that work pretty much anywhere there are carp, but I just haven't figured the carp out at UL for some reason.
[signature]
ive caught 3 carp on the jordan this year all caught snagged in fins or bellies just running themselves through your line and getting foul hooked, heck this morning on the jordan my friend caught a carp, and what do you know it was foul hooked. the carp need to be removed and i dont know how much of an impact one angler say harvesting one fish per trip does but if everybody has that mentality maybe it could make a slight impact along with the carp removal program. Maybe the dwr should make reg there saying all carp must be immeadialty killed but then you have the prob of dead fish floating around and on shore.

tightlines
[signature]
Are you drunk on carp loven ? carp are the evil in every lake that we have to fish . carp are no good worth nothing fish !!!!

+++++1 to every one who has a hate for every carp in every lake we all fish !!!
[signature]
Carp herpes might work great in Utah lake. It has really hammered carp in some places.

A light treatment of copper sulphate at about 65 degree water temp can really wipe them out if the herpes is present in the population.

The sulphate really makes it kick in for some reason.

The herpes only kills carp type fish, the copper sulphate will slow algae growth for a short time and is harmless other than that.

Too many dead carp in a small stagnant water can be toxic.

On a larger water a die off can be good for the over all biology and nutrient load from the dead fish themselves.

I don't know how it would effect the June sucker, it looks pretty much like a carp to me.

http://www.thefishsite.com/fishnews/1069...arp-deaths
[signature]
ya...... if they could do that without the water getting toxic that would be cool, then you could just go out and skim em off the top of the water with nets, you cant know till its tried. i wonder if the dwr has thought of that.

tightlines
[signature]