Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Built Fly Rod
I want to do something very special for my Son who will turn 21 in a couple months. He's gotten into fly fishing. He's reading, reseraching, and teaching himself. He's also gone out with other fly fishing anglers and learned a whole lot. He has bought everything himself. I did get him a net.

So I'd really like to do something special for him for his 21st Birthday and see about having a custom 6 wt rod made for him. Including having his name on the rod and he likes camo so would like a camo style rod.

So anyone out there build fly rods and willing to chat with me about having a custom fly rod built for a soon to be 21 year-old. Or could you recommend someone I could contact.

Thanks in Advance,
K2
[signature]
I think that is an awesome idea... not sure about the camo idea but its worth a shot... Id love to see the results of the work once you have it done..

MacFly
[signature]
I forgot to add that if you do some searching on the net you can find kits or just blanks at a good price.. one is baston rainshadow, and you can also get blanks or kits for most of the major manufacturers like sage... you may also want to check with your local fly shop and see if they know of anyone that builds rods from blanks or kits..

I will tell you though that if you get a blank you will need to also purchase the other parts like reel seat, guides etc ..

good luck and as I said before Id love to see pictures of the final product..

MacFly
[signature]
K2, you will want to find the right blank. The camo end will come from thread and maybe reel seat. Brown or Black blank for Desert Camo and Green for Forest Camo.
The blank will have to be the action/flex that he likes. Next would be the cork handle. Big hands, or smaller hands. On a 6 wt a full well could be a nice choice.
Reel Seat and hardware plus wrap will be cosmetic.

I have built rods and would love to help you out, but I do not have the time to do this, and it does require it. Specially for the cause.
Good luck friend and wonderful thought.
[signature]
Well I haven't a clue about Fly Fishing. Found a few places on Al Gores Internet. Had a smart recommendation made to me at work today by an avid Fly Angler. Take him to a Fly Anglers store pick out a rod and get the vitals...blank, rod flex he likes, rod seat, grip, guides etc and ask them for help. So that will be the plan.
[signature]
Basically what I was saying. Stay in touch on this one, k?
[signature]
Will do as I'm on a quest to make this happen. If I'm successful I'll for sure post up pics of the rod. [Wink][Wink]
[signature]
Okay I'm sure one of many questions:

Guide Recommendation:

Single Foot Guides or Snake Foot Guides?
[signature]
My opinion, Single foot are easier to put on obviously, only one per guide. It is thought to lighten the rod up but I don't see it. They are not as durable as Snake.
I have only built a few rods, and one has the single foot. I don't notice as difference in the weight or performance.
Like I said, the only TRUE difference "to me" is durability.
[signature]