Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass on the fly, help?
I'm itching to try something new, and bass (or panfish) on the fly looks to be a blast. Just wondering what flies I should be tying up? I'm here in central Utah, so clear lakes would probably be where I'm fishing if that helps (although if anyone has suggestions on where to go around here I'd definitely take them!)

[#bf0000]Users are not allowed to post links to personal blogs ... please delete the link to your blog in your signature..[/#bf0000]
Found this thread

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=601280;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...d;page=unread#unread[/url]

and am still looking...
I am sure someone else will throw in some expert advice but here's my 2 cents..

I have been working on the bass/panfish thing myself. You can get really complicated with your flies if you want but wooly buggers work just fine. Try tying them in natural colors. Brown/black/olive.. I have had good success with black body and tail with olive hackle over the black body. no matter where your fishing the bass are most likely in deeper water this time of year so sinking line will help. I basically use the same thing for bass,perch and bluegill. just go smaller if your after bluegill. Id say #2 hook for bass and I tie smaller buggers with a size #10 hook for gills. Also a popper with a nymph about 18" below works wonders for bluegill.

Hope this helps.
[signature]
I agree with everything JLG said. However, have some poppers too. I have been doing well with Bass using basically short body woolly Bugger with dumbbell eyes and rubber legs. But they have also hit California Leech, and Hot Chocolate bugger. Haresears attract both bass and gills. Bead Head Prince Nymph and ZUG BUG.
[signature]
What size hares ear's do you tie for bass? Ive caught a random baby bass here and there on nymphs when there mixed in with the gills.. but nothing with any size.Just wondering how big of a nymph would you need to get the attention of a larger bass? I know a huge trout will take a microscopic fly... are bass the same?
[signature]
I think they can be. I like a #12 or #10 on the nymphs. Bass eat bugs too. The canal out by the Great Salt Lake use to house some nice bass. I caught a 19" LM on a haresear. I caught a 19" SM on a #14 Chironomid.
But as I mentioned, Bead head Prince are Zug Bugs are great bass flies. Took White bass out at Utah Lake and Small Mouth out of Pelican and Jordanell.
Come to think of it, I need to try it on the Jordan river.

But you are the Bass master here. You have been doing great!
[signature]
I did ok in the spring but not so much lately...ugh. I might give PV a try this week. I haven't fished it in almost a month.
[signature]
There you go, make those guys sorry they didn't invite to[cool][Wink][laugh] Just kidding, sort of. I am betting you will do just fine on the fly...just leave the spinning gear at home[laugh][laugh](again, just kidding)
[signature]
Haha! I do usually leave the spinning rod behind these days but to be honest im sure glad I took it as a backup last sunday or id probably still smell like like skunk..
[signature]
Well, I went out yesterday evening to try my luck @ redmond. Got the big skunk! I'll try and make it out again soon and let you know how I did. (probably somewhere else this time!)
Got to just get out there and keep trying. Fly fishing can be frustrating at first. Are you fishing from shore or a boat/float tube? I wish I could help more but I have never been to that lake. Just look for structure and keep in mind with the hot weather the fish will be deeper.

Just a thought.. Maybe try it again using a spinning rod with lures bait etc.. just to locate the fish then once you have found them give the fly rod a shot.. just an idea.
[signature]