Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new member/equipment advice
Hi guys, Ive been an on and off fisherman for a few years now, but only go out on party boats. Recently I had been looking to get my own setup, and today i went out and bought some stuff. I was initially looking for a 6 foot ugly stik, 6 foot being because thats the only thing Ive ever used on a boat (Gull rods and I forget the other major brand used).

Anyhow, the store (modells) only had bigger ugly stiks and I didnt really find anything that either met my price range (<100 with a reel) or even at the length I was looking for. What I did buy was a South Bend Black Beauty 2 model # BB2-601MTCM 6' 1 piece medium-action casting rod. Line wt is20-40 lbs . Then since it didnt come with line, I went out and got 30lb line. Also I should mention, that what I was/am looking for is a rod/reel combo that is slightly better than the rental rods. I couldnt really find any reviews on this rod/reel combo and was kind of rushed (had to take my sister to work), and Im not sure if Im going to keep it or not, but the price was directly at what I wanted to spend total (65-70$).

Every time we go out its either for Fluke, Porgy, or Striped bass. So I suppose my question is: Should I have bought this combo, and should I keep it?

Also, my budget is <=100$. I was suggested a 6'6" 15-40 lb Ugly Stick (BWLB113066) casting rod and either a Shimano TRN-200, but I cannot find the rod online without a combo.

Thanks for the help!
[signature]
Welcome to the site Steve. You should give the set up you bought a try and see how it performs, my guess is that it will work fine for the type of fishing you plan on doing. Some times when looking for the idea set up it takes a lot of time and you have to start some where, sounds like you made a good start. Please let us know how it works out.
WH2
[signature]
Looks like a good middle of the road setup. I use lighter for porkys and heavier for srtipers, but on a party boat you can't bring three poles. Use it and good fishing.
[signature]