Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uinta Lakes question
Does anyone know, if there is a way to find what lakes the DWR stocks with fish? There is a lake in the area I elk hunt that I've never thought about seeing if there were fish in it, cause well I never really fished until recently. And it is quite a hike to get to it and I don't want to hike all the way down there for there to not be any fish. I've googled the lake and all I can really find is were it is, but no real info about it.
[signature]
Does it have a name? Not asking you to write if it does, but you could find it on this chart:

http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/dwr/fishs...report.php
[signature]
Even if the DWR isn't actively stocking, that doesn't mean it couldn't have a ton of "wild" browns or brookies in it. Depending on how far up it is, I hear there are even greylings to be had in the high high Unitas (never caught one myself, on the bucket list though)! Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge most of those little lakes in the Unitas are all interconnected and I'd expect most to have some sort of trout in them?

I've had too many experiences where I've gone to the places getting the best reports of the most fish - and then had a crappy day. My absolute favorites are the times I've gone to those random places where I have no idea what to expect! My point is, sometimes you never know until you try.

If it doesn't have a name, you can call it "Jake's Lake"[:p]
[signature]
Sent you a PM.
[signature]
You can also look for it in the DWR Uinta booklet for the drainage it is in.. The booklets are older, but if it was stocked before it might still a reproducing population.

You can see the booklets online here:
http://redrockadventure.com/fishing/uintas/
[signature]
[quote Kim-n-Kota]Even if the DWR isn't actively stocking, that doesn't mean it couldn't have a ton of "wild" browns or brookies in it. Depending on how far up it is, I hear there are even greylings to be had in the high high Unitas (never caught one myself, on the bucket list though)! Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge most of those little lakes in the Unitas are all interconnected and I'd expect most to have some sort of trout in them?

I've had too many experiences where I've gone to the places getting the best reports of the most fish - and then had a crappy day. My absolute favorites are the times I've gone to those random places where I have no idea what to expect! My point is, sometimes you never know until you try.

If it doesn't have a name, you can call it "Jake's Lake"[:p][/quote]

Don't have to go that far up. Washington has Grayling, Albino, Brookies, Tiger....not sure I have seen any Brown, however. So does Mirror, so I bet several of the lakes between have them as well.
[signature]
has anyone heard of Moslander Reservoir?
[signature]
I'll go out on a limb and say Utah DWR has never stocked Moslander Creek. You do know it's just across the Utah border in Wyoming[laugh]. That is the boonies. I doubt too many people have tried it. The creek never looked good so I just keep driving when I'm passing through on the North Slope. If you want to know go get a Wyoming License and try it. Sulphur Creek or Meeks Reservoirs could always be your backups to hit if you get skunked. I always liked the stream Black's Fork on the Wyoming Side for size but not necessarily number of trout caught.
[signature]
The Moslander Reservoir I'm talking about is on the Utah side of the border(I think there is a Moslander in Wyoming too.) and there are a couple creeks that flow into it, I just never took the time to look to see if I could see fish in it(I was always to busy looking for elk). I guess if I go elk hunting up there this year I will take a look. It seems like it would be a decent lake for fish, but wouldn't surprise me if there weren't any in there.
[signature]
What creek flows into it out of curiosity? The one I'm talking about is on a branch of Muddy Creek upstream from the ghost town Piedmont? Probable 2 reservoirs in the same general area named after the same person.
[signature]
I'm not sure the name of them, but this one is definitely in Utah, I shot an elk several years ago just a few hundred yards from it and had a DWR officer check my tag and ask were I shot it when I explained by a lake at the bottom of a bowl he then informed me it was named Moslander Reservoir. So I googled it and found there was one in Wyoming as well the closes place I could explain were this is at would be by Bear River station and Elizabeth Ridge.
[signature]