Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Record Brookie
Im referring to "World Record Brook Trout Caught in Canada" post. Obviously no Arctic Char around Boulder Mountain.
[signature]
The angler who caught the world record, might not be interested in the record -PBH. Thats the problem any more everyone is so intent on being the best and having their name in a book. Just like big game the first thing people ask is- what's the score. I'm not nocking anyone who gets their records scored and measured. Just be prepared for those few people to discredit you and and your prize. (I would have kept it) That said I would be interested in some of our states records. They have no girth/length listed. Who accepted them as records. You think the state record cutthroat was verified on a proper scale? Did you even need a witness to the measurements being taken? What about pictures?
[signature]
[quote Bigphilj]The angler who caught the world record, might not be interested in the record -PBH. Thats the problem any more everyone is so intent on being the best and having their name in a book. Just like big game the first thing people ask is- what's the score. I'm not nocking anyone who gets their records scored and measured. Just be prepared for those few people to discredit you and and your prize. (I would have kept it) That said I would be interested in some of our states records. They have no girth/length listed. Who accepted them as records. You think the state record cutthroat was verified on a proper scale? Did you even need a witness to the measurements being taken? What about pictures?[/quote]What you say is very enlightening. Guess we just have to take the old records as truth. Kind of like DNA testing finding criminals innocent. One thing for sure though, Milton's brook trout WAS a brook trout! No splake or tiger trout around Utah in 1971, unless there was a chance natural hybrid in fishlake.
[signature]
In Robert Benhke book on trout he says referring to charr "there is no other group of fishes which offer so many difficulties to the ichthyologist with regard to the distinction of the species" I other words Chars are hard to identify
[signature]
[quote Bigphilj]The angler who caught the world record, might not be interested in the record -PBH. Thats the problem any more everyone is so intent on being the best and having their name in a book. Just like big game the first thing people ask is- what's the score. I'm not nocking anyone who gets their records scored and measured. Just be prepared for those few people to discredit you and and your prize. (I would have kept it) That said I would be interested in some of our states records. They have no girth/length listed. Who accepted them as records. You think the state record cutthroat was verified on a proper scale? Did you even need a witness to the measurements being taken? What about pictures?[/quote

Wow I couldn't agree more. I think that when it comes to a new state record fish it should be weighed, identified,and measured by th Utah DWR. If you can't trust them to be non-biased and legal who can you trust. I have often wondered about some of our state records. I question some of the angling methods on some of them also.
[signature]
Hello everyone.

The Division of Wildlife Resources apologizes for mishandling this process. As you would imagine the Springville hatchery were caught up in the moment and emotions that flow when an awesome fish like this fish comes in. We have discussed this issue internally and will address it at a meeting on August 1. There is a process in place and here it is:

1. Several pictures should be taken of the fish immediately upon catch this helps because fish tend to lose color quickly. Having a measuring devise along the fish helps.

2. The person with the fish should immediately take the fish to a certified scale at a butcher shop, post office or grocery store. Fish do lose weight quickly so don't take it any further than is absolutely necessary. DWR offices don't have certified scales and I am thankful for not having one. It removes subjectivity from the process.

3. The fish should then be brought into a DWR office to be measured for length and girth and proper identification by a qualified DWR employee (fisheries biologist).

4. After the first three steps are completed the properly completed paperwork is submitted and makes its way to my desk. I, for better or worse am the final judge and jury on all record submissions.

This fish is awesome!!!! I commend the person who caught it on the fish of a life time. If it is a record great!!! If not, then it is still an awesome fish and the envy of many anglers including myself.

It is my job to make sure that when the day ends that the DWR gets the job done correctly and when records are broken that they are legit. I assure you that we will get this one correct.

Drew Cushing
Sportfish Coordinator
Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
[signature]