Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginner Advice
Hi all,

I picked up a fly rod at a yard sale recently and am going to start my journey into the wonderful world of fly fishing. I wanted to pick your brains- what advice do you have for a true beginner? How difficult is fly fishing? What are some essential supplies/tackle? Etc. I would love any and all information that you are willing to share.

Thanks!
[signature]
You tube was a big help for me, I didnt know anyone so I just went on their to learn how to cast, then its just learning what to use and where and how to use it that is the hardest part. I would start out with casting and go form thier, im pretty new myself only about a year into it so others im sure will have better info but youtube is a good place to start and ask alot of questions and follow this board lots of good people on here good luck!
[signature]
What type/size/weight rod did you pick up? That might help in steering you towards the type of water that it is suited to and/or the types of flies that it will cast well.

To answer your core question - NO, fly-fishing is not overly difficult to start out in... just different.

Here is a terrific book that can literally be had for pennies that will cover all the basics from rigging, casting, and fly types to reading water, rise forms, and insects. I highly recommend it if starting from scratch.
http://www.amazon.com/Orvis-Fly-Fishing-...ly+fishing
[signature]
Patience
tapered leader
tippet
a few flys
strike indecator
floatant
small sinkers
nippers
forcepts
Learn a couple knots and have fun!
[signature]
If it was "easy" so many would pack a spinning rod, just in case.
If you want to just fling a fly out there, you could catch a fish, but remember there is no scent so, a little tuffer.
Yes, fly fishing is technical...to do it right!. Learn PRESENTATION!!!!! which means fish on or not.
Rod, reel, are for your enjoyment. You can land 3" fish with an 8 wt.. People go different weight for comfort, that is all. A reel is a place to hold line. Some will tell you a good drag...maybe. I have reels with NO drag. You learn how to use your hand.

My suggestion, if you want to get into fly fishing, DO IT! The rod, and reel as I mentioned are not a main issue. Line, leader and fly however are everything.. As I started off with Presentation is the key. You can wave a fly overhead and plop it on the water and MAYBE catch a fish, but to to it constantly, takes practice. You can drag/troll a woolly bugger behind a tube and catch fish, but sometimes, you have to cast into that clearing...practice.
Laying a dry fly down so delicate.

Out of over 100 or so trips, I have walked away from one with not landing a fish.

Fly fishing requires some knowledge of entomology to be able to fish anywhere.
[signature]
elk hair caddis, prince nymphs, black ant, black wolly buggers, zebra midges.

Those are my fav to use
[signature]
But you also use spinning and bait[Smile]
[signature]
Howdy,
You are gonna love fly fishing. When I started, I was like a bull in a china shop. I was trying to muscle the flys out and that don't work. Learn to cast from someone that knows how and willing to teach. I took a flyfishing class at Granger High School through the adult education program. It consisted of Casting , knots, flies, and presentation. It was one night a week for six weeks. Lots of time for practice in between classes. Best 50 bucks I ever spent. I think fly shops offer this service also.
Equipment can be overwhelming. It really is geared toward your needs. There are 1000's of flies out there. Start with a few and learn to use them is my recommendation. I started with 5 dries and 5 nymphs. The dries were Adams, Yellow Sallies, Renegade( my go to still) Royal Wulff, and the Blue Winged Olive. Had a few sizes of each from 18 up to 14. Had descent success with these. The nymphs were Bead head hares ear, bead head pheasant tail, prince nymph, copper johns,and WD-40's. Again assorted colors and sizes.
Take your time and learn correctly. Don't get discouraged, and practice practice practice. The reel is just a place to hold the line. DO NOT SKIMP on the fly line. To me that is very important. My one and only recommendation is Scientific Anglers Sharkskin GPX taper. The weight will have to match your rod. This line costs right at 100 bucks, but it is well worth it in my opinion. I have had one of mine for 3 years and it still has no memory, and casts great. Hope this helps.[Smile]

pa
[signature]
Thank you all!

This is why I enjoy this site- good people that are willing to share advice and wisdom, I really appreciate your input!

Just an answer to a question- I picked up a (I hope I'm reading and stating this correctly) a 8' three piece 5/6 weight rod.

I previewed and ordered the Orvis Fly Fishing Book and have watched a few youtube videos.

Thanks and keep any pointers you have coming
[signature]
REALLY!!!. I was giving him some fly choices. >-<
[signature]
Where are you going to be fishing I will be down in utah county next mon and tues if your down in that area or the rest of the time im up in weber county if you ever want to go out just send me a pm
[signature]
Quick update,

A fellow BFT'er took the time out of his day and took me to a community pond to show me the basics, many thanks! I "quickly" learned that I am a very "slow" learner Smile, but eventually I was able to successfully get a little line out and had a great time. My WRIST and muscle memory is definitely geared to trying to cast a hook, line and sinker a mile. I have some serious homework to do, but I'm looking forward to getting the basics down and landing a few fish!
[signature]
Great news. So who was the BFTer?
[signature]
Plenty of patience, a few bucks for flies, and lots of practice! It took me a while before I could read the water, match the hatch etc. but once you figure it all out I couldn't stop! Fly fishing is so much more gratifying than hooking a fish on powerbait ( for me anyways) Set up some paper plates at a park and practice casting to them and that will help your accuracy alot... Gradually move further away from the plates and that will help with distance. And I second you tube... I watched alot of lefty kreh videos. They have some at most libraries as well. But most Of all just enjoy every minute of it!
[signature]