Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Submerged tree question.
I've been fishing a local lake with some friends. I have a particular place I like to fish at (We don't have a boat, so we fish from the bank) which is right in between 2 submerged trees. The great thing about it is that I always get alot of bites there. The fish seem to love those submerged trees. I caught about 6 fish on our camping trip Saturday and Sunday, including a nice bass and a big channel cat.
The problem though is getting my line snagged on those trees. I've lost my hook, bobber and worm to one of the trees at least 3 or 4 times in my 2 outings at this location.

So, getting to the point, does anyone have any advice about not getting snagged, or advice in general about fishing around submerged trees? Thanks in advance.

Also, funny story about getting snagged yesterday. I got my line stuck on the same underwater limb that has claimed my hook and bobber several times. I was frustrated, so instead of trying to get it untangled, or breaking my line, I just set the pole on the ground and cracked open a cold one. About 10 minutes later my pole started moving toward the water. I had to chase after it to keep it from going in. Then I reeled in about a 4 or 5 pound channel cat. I guess the fish untangled my line for me.
[signature]
Oh, and I wanted to add that I'm interested in any kind of fishing. I've mostly been using worms. But I'm tempted to throw a bass lure in there too. I just don't want to pay for a bunch of lures and then lose them. But the area with the submerged trees is the spot on this lake where I've found the most fish, by far.
[signature]
Sometimes while fishing near brush there is nothing that can be done about losing a few hooks but your story about letting it sit and a fish unhooking it from the brush is a good thing to try again. Do you fish with one pole or more? If you fish with a second rod, you could always let the one pole set, maybe with a rock on top of it[Wink], then use your second pole. There are plastics you could use, that you could rig weedless style and it will reduce the chances of them getting hung up in the brush. A lot of bass fisherman fish this style but there is nothing that I know that is 100% snag proof. Hope that helps and post a report of your next fishing trip, on either the Missouri board of the Freshwater fishing board, thanks.
WH2
[signature]
Thanks for your reply. I have only been fishing one pole. But I'm planning to buy another decent pole in the near future, and start putting 2 at a time in the water.
[signature]
Whenever I'm fishing near a bunch of submerged structure that's hungry for gear, I'll usually keep whatever I'm throwing moving.

Maybe switch to jigs that you can tip with a piece of worm and keep them moving just enough to stay off the limbs.

If you've caught some bass in the pond, go ahead and throw some bass gear at them. By now, you know where you'll run into snags, so keep the rod tip high and buzz it a little faster through that area.

Good luck.
[signature]
You've discovered a great secret of fishing - fish like cover. Always a good place to check on any water.

As Wiper mentioned - you can rig various worms and plastics, swimbaits even - so the hook tip ends up embedded in the plastic. Check into Texas, Carolina riggings for example.
There are also some hooks that have a wire-weedguard that can help.

One other idea - if you're pitching cranks baits or other hardbody lures with treble hooks - you can get o-rings that will give if you pull hard enough. You'll lose the treble, but save the bait-body.
Another options with cranks that have a treble under the body, and one off the tail -you can either bend down the bottom hook of the treble, or flat out remove the upper one - and you'll have a lure less likely to snag.

In Utah we have to purchase a second permit for a second pole. But if you're in Missouri - that may not be the case. I dunno.
I'm pretty sure that we can have up to 3 poles per person in Missouri. I appreciate everyone's advice. I will try to use this knowledge and let you guys know what I catch next time I'm there [Wink]
I was thinking of trying a couple topwater bass lures. Because I've caught a decent bass there. And that way I can keep an eye on my lure and make sure it doesn't hit a tree limb. What do you guys think of that idea?
Thanks.
[signature]
Do it! Take some pics of your catches.
[signature]
next time i get snagged on a tree / whatever I will try your crack a beer technique. Hopefully I am as lucky as you, if not the beer will help calm me down!
[signature]