Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FLAMING GORGE CATCHING!
My buddy and I have been to the Gorge many times. We were concerned going this late in the summer but all that concern went away when we started fishing and catching Kokanee. We fished last Wednesday thru Friday. Wow!

We took my buddies nephew that is going on a mission in one month and he had never caught too many fish before. He just kept mumbling to himself. "I can't believe we caught that many fish. I can't believe how big they are. I can't believe how hard they fight. This is really fun!"

We fished Brinegars Ranch, Anvil and Hideout which all produced fish. Some days were just plain amazing with 2 and 3 lb fish. Weather was great and the wind was never terrible. We used mostly RMT dodgers and lures and squids. Pink is still the color. We did get some fish on the green wedding rings and a couple of other spoons.

The best was one evening we went out to catch rainbows near swim beach. Ridiculous how many fish we caught and the size of some of them were big. We caught 40 rainbows in 2 hours. All were caught on rainbow garlic power bait. My pole was never quiet for more than 2 minutes the whole time. I have never seen rainbow fishing that good that I can recall. The flesh of the rainbows are very red. Good eating I am guessing. We kept a few to find out. [Smile]

I have attached a couple of photos to look at. Of course the kid caught the biggest Kokanee - as it should be.
[signature]
Wow those are some nice fatty bows congrats on a great trip!
[signature]
Talk about a sweet trip! That's how to get-r-dun.
[signature]
Thanks KillerBee. Can't wait to get back up there and catch more big fish. I really want to catch a bunch of laker pups but I hear that you have to wait till the water cools and they come up a bit. Anyway, that what some guy told me up there when I said we did not catch any incidental lakers. Kokes should be changing red by now.
[signature]
Awesome trip!!! Way to catch em' up!
[signature]
Gioing this week with my grandsons. Great report. PM sent.
[signature]
Looks like a great send off trip for the missionary. Nice report I'm getting ready to head down for our annual trip with my Dad and brother and that report helps feed the anticipation. Thanks J
[signature]
Enjoy those days you get to fish with your Dad. My days with my Dad ended in 2006 and I really miss them. Hope you have good weather and good fishing. Be safe.
[signature]
If you don't mind my asking, were you tipping your lures with any bait?
[signature]
Yes. There is a secret bait that works really well for Kokanee on the Gorge. It is something you would never think of. People on the lake come over and ask us what we are using to catch fish because they can see we are constantly busy catching. I tell them we are using pink squids. The Sad think is, that is one key bit of information out of 5 that have to be right to catch Kokes.

Are you ready? White Berkley maggots! Tip your squid or lure with one maggot and there you have it.

Now if you want all five secrets you can PM me. [Wink]

As a honorary member of the Rocky Mountain Tackle Team due to the hundreds of dollars I have spent and the hat I have, I strongly recommend there stuff.

Good luck with those little maggots.
[signature]
PM sent
[signature]
Enough to make a fellar drool with jealousy.

The problem I have with going fishing is that I have to come home.

Good Job.
[signature]
Very well done, my friend. Jealous!
[signature]
I forgot to ask. How was the power boat crowd? When we were up there a couple of weeks ago they were terrible. No respect at all.
[signature]
Thanks, I made you jealous once and but you have made me jealous 20 times over the years.

By the way, how did it go at Strawberry. I ended up having to work and get ready for the Gorge trip. I was thinking about you at Soldier Creek catching all the massive big cuts. Any success? Did you figure out those finicky fish?
[signature]
I like your quote about having to come home. I hear ya. I never get enough fishing.

The boats were not bad. We fished Wednesday thru Friday and the most we saw around us was about 7. Now after I say, not bad, I just remembered that a brain dead boater was going to go right across my lead lines about 30 feet back. Downriggers and who know what else would have snarled us for sure. I yelled at him and pointed out our lead lines. He cut sharp and turned away. Close call.

So, actually, there was some terrible boaters still out.

Oh, one more thing, one boat said that if we caught one more Koke, they were going to come over and sink our boat. I think he was kidding. Wasn't he? Probably jealous. I hear that alot. [Smile]

Peace to all
[signature]
Wow sounds like you guys kicked a$$. Have fished the gorge quiet a bit, mostly after the macks. Have yet to figure out those dam kokes, good job man. Any secrets would be much appreciated(pm is good for me) Thanks bro for any info.
[signature]
Usually the macs are hard to figure out. Kokes are easy. Especially this year !
[signature]
I sent you a PM. Hope it helps.

By the way, these aren't really secrets as much as 6 things that have to be all there in order to catch more Kokanee.

Enjoy
[signature]
Thanks alot man that info is really helpful, I will be sure to try some of them out next time i make it over there. Well thanks again and good luck on your fishing ventures.[Smile]
[signature]