Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trout Fishing
Hi! I am new to fishing and close to a high mountain lake with trout. Does anyone have advice about trout fishing in this type of environment?

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum. If it's a high mountain lake, it shouldn't be very hard to trick them into biting almost anything.

I would start by throwing lures of some type (spinners for me) and moving around the shoreline. If that's not working, maybe a fly behind a bubble (or use a fly rod, if applicable). Good flies to use for that would be small nymphs, parachute Adams, renegades, and other small bugs.

If all else fails, throw a worm under a bubble and wait. Still nothing? Fill the bubble with water and heave it back out there to rest on the bottom.
[signature]
For this type of environment I prefer small spinners in Chartreuse and for some reason the gold blades typically produce better (but I'm sure this is dependent upon a lot of variables). I would second a fly behind a casting bubble escpecially at dawn and dusk and using a hatch guide to assist in finding the right fly for the job, there are numerous good ones online. I've also had the small trout nibble type of bait work well in locations where the trout are stocked.
[signature]