Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm Pond Cat Tips?
We just got permission to fish a nieghbor's pond. I am told by the owner it is heavily populated with catfish. I checked it out yesterday and the water is murky!

The owner tells me his boys used to fish them using a simple bobber and chicken livers. I have some stink bait on hand but since the water is so murky, should I try a different rigging?

Many thanks in advance.
[signature]
It depends on what type of catfish are in the pond.

If you want the channel cats try your stinkbait on bottom or night crawlers or liver (chicken, turkey or even beef).

If there are flathead or blue cats in that pond you might rig up a float with waxworms and try to catch some small bream or sunfish (2" to 4" check your states regulations on using them as live bait!). Then use a small knife and just puncture the bream right below the dorsal fin all the way through so they just bleed from it but don't die quickly. Fish them on bottom Carolina rigged. Hook them above the puncture you made below the dorsal fin.

If you can't use bream in your state get some goldfish, live shad or large shiners from a local bait shop and fish the same technique.

If the water clears up you can fish the bream or other live baits without the puncture, just hook them about 1/2 inch below the dorsal fin so the fish will move about and stay alive longer.

In the image below the channel cats were caught on Premo Blood "Super sticky" stink bait and the blue was caught on a 4" bream.

[inline Catfish1_June08_2008.JPG]

Good Luck!
[signature]
Thanks for the reply! My boys were getting bites on plain worms as well as stink bait and plastics. I want to try a few other things this coming week.
[signature]
well most ponds are stocked full with channel catfish, and the best source of information that I have found for them is easily http://www.squidoo.com/channel-catfishing

so why don't you check it out and give it a try, they got a lot of good tips and tricks that I have used to catch numberous fish
[signature]
Do the owners of the pond fish it? If so ask them what they have luck on. I started fishing a pond this year, and tried various baits the first time I went there with no luck. The owners told me that their 8 year old daughter catches alot of fish just using worms. I took worms with me the next time I went, and I've been catching more fish than I can handle ever since.
[signature]