Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shore Lunchin Munchin Trout?
Ok well I have realized that in this horrific heat that if I hike in and plan on keeping fish I have to eat them "shore lunch style" in the mountains.

So what are some shore lunch recipies?

I will be taking a MSR stove and a heavy duty pan. I am open to other options to cook them. I plan on carrying any ingredients that you all suggest too.
[signature]
a lemon, and salt and pepper
[signature]
Dry ice?
[signature]
BACON and lemon
[signature]
Lemon, diced onions, salt, pepper and butter. You should be good to go then.
[signature]
[quote Fishrmn]Dry ice?[/quote]

With all the miles I cover I don't want to carry ice. Plus ice adds to the expense of the trip.

My brookies from Catherine went bad by the time I got home. So at White Pine Lake we decided we had to release our fish. Well that is when we thought "why the hell are we not eating them up here?"
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]BACON and lemon[/quote]

I guess I could freeze the bacon before heading out.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No fry pan necessary. Take some aluminum foil and wrap one or two fish in the foil...after salting and peppering the inside cavity. A wrap of bacon and a slice of lemon only makes it better. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Make a good fire and let it burn down to the coals. Lay the foil wrapped fish on the coals and turn once a few minutes into the cooking. The fish steam in their own juices...and the foil is your dinner plate. Just be sure to wrap up the remnants and pack them out.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
As soon as the fire regulations are lifted...that will likely be the way we cook em up. For now, in the cottonwood canyons, only stoves are allowed.

I am liking the lemon, salt, butter, pepper, onions, and bacon (likely have to bring bacon bits tho).

Great suggestions everyone. Thanks and keep them coming!
[signature]
There is Canned bacon, but Pre-cooked is light weight, less messy and requires NO refridgeration. There is also Bacon salt, even bacon majonase...things taste better with bacon[Wink] Bon [#000000]Appétit [/#000000]
[signature]
Fresh mountain air is the only condiment that trout need. A small plastic bottle of olive oil, some salt and pepper (pre-mixed) and trout is all you need. For luxury, bring a lemon to squeeze over the cooked fish.
[signature]
[quote TyeDyeTwins][quote Fishrmn]Dry ice?[/quote]

With all the miles I cover I don't want to carry ice. Plus ice adds to the expense of the trip.

My brookies from Catherine went bad by the time I got home. So at White Pine Lake we decided we had to release our fish. Well that is when we thought "why the hell are we not eating them up here?"[/quote]

Militia travels light and fast. Though a bit heavy, it's not a consumable like ice. I pack an two 48 ounce wide mouth Thermos bottles.

One can have drinking water (optional because water is heavy and can be found and pasteurized) and the other can be empty or carry the frozen bacon or other food with no need to carry heavy ice to keep it freezing cold.

The militia trains to be able to be instantly on the move. Similarly, you might not want to devote any more precious fishing minutes to cooking than necessary, so to be ready to move fast to cast your lure into the next boils, simply boil your water with fish and put it into the thermos bottle with whatever seasoning foods are already in it, screw on the lid, drop it into your backpack and you are ready to move on, hike and fish and be unencumbered by typical cooking with pots and stove, etc. Fish stew cooks as you travel. There isn't even the aroma of cooking to give your location away (militia parameter) or attract a grizzly bear should you be fishing where that is a concern.

As you hike, you can collect wild eatable plants and add them to the boiling hot fish stew and it too will continue to cook with the rest. Then when you stop moving or fishing for a moment, you can enjoy a hot seasoned cup of fish stew with healthy vegetables.

What is really nice is you are instantly ready to move again as you don't have a stove out or pots to clean and put away and best of all, you can eat that cup of fish stew and put on the lid and throw the Thermos in your backpack with the remaining five cups of hot fish stew kept hot (to keep good -- above 140 degrees) to continue your hike and fishing with your next meal ready for when you want it without any further preparation to take precious fishing minutes away.

Carry a second or third empty Thermos bottle on the trip and you might be bringing home plenty of hot fish stew to cool off and be put in freezer containers in the freezer for future meals. Sure, the Thermos bottles have weight, but not as much as ice and unlike ice, they are not consumables and will be there to use again and again for a lifetime.

Ronald Smile
[signature]
Unless you're staying overnight leave the backpacking stove and fuel container plus/minus pan home. Just not worth the trouble. Bring some smoked salmon, trout or other fish along. Smoked fish will last the day without refrigeration. O rbetter yet stick it next to a drinking container that has lots of ice. Nothing like a cold drink and smoked fish on a hot day.
[signature]
[quote riverdog]Unless you're staying overnight leave the backpacking stove and fuel container plus/minus pan home. Just not worth the trouble. Bring some smoked salmon, trout or other fish along. Smoked fish will last the day without refrigeration. O rbetter yet stick it next to a drinking container that has lots of ice. Nothing like a cold drink and smoked fish on a hot day.[/quote]

But I wanna keep the fish I catch. Eating them right there over taking them home.
[signature]
But the bacon is not only for flavor, but instead of oil, butter, grease, whatever,
The Bacon will keep the fish from sticking, plus it adds a smoky taste and seasoning when wrapped around the trout, and adds moistness like butter, when stuck inside the trout.
[signature]
[quote TyeDyeTwins][quote riverdog]Unless you're staying overnight leave the backpacking stove and fuel container plus/minus pan home. Just not worth the trouble. Bring some smoked salmon, trout or other fish along. Smoked fish will last the day without refrigeration. O rbetter yet stick it next to a drinking container that has lots of ice. Nothing like a cold drink and smoked fish on a hot day.[/quote]

But I wanna keep the fish I catch. Eating them right there over taking them home.[/quote]
I guess but the smoked fish can be from fish you caught 9 months of the year when heat isn't an issue or when you have easy assess and spoiling isn't an issue. To me just not worth the trouble and I generally like smoked trout better than it fresh. Salmon just as good either way.
[signature]
With Utah's possession law, you would only be able to freeze/can one limit (whatever that may be). So if the limit was four trout, that would be all you can have in your possession, until consumed. Right?
[signature]
I read in the paper that the fire restrictions were set to be lifted on most of the national forests today Aug. 4th

If these areas that you are fishing are on the forest then I would give them a call to see if you are in luck. It seems a little early to me but I don't set the rules.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Found the link.

[url "http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=21545539&nid=148&title=camp-fires-allowed-on-national-forest-land"]http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=21545539&nid=148&title=camp-fires-allowed-on-national-forest-land[/url]
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
8 if at least 4 are brook trout in the Uintas but yes 1 possession in Utah even if processed.
[signature]