Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing around Long Island
I will be spending considerable time around Long Island and would love to do some fishing while I am there. If you would be willing to show a person from the west how to catch fish back east please either reply to this post or send me a PM. Thanks
[signature]
Plenty of fishing all around Long Island, but it is different on the north shore from the south shore and from the west part of the island to the east part of the island.

Where will you be on the island.

Yes it's me from the Utah board. I spent most of the first 35 years of my life living in NY.
[signature]
I will be around Melville, and I have no idea where that is located, but I should become very familiar with it.
[signature]
Kind of in the middle.

You will want to head mostly east and south to get away from more people than you are used to. Fire Island National Seashore can provide for Blues and Stripers near the inlets. Surf gear is used, but the rigs you have for shore fishing sturgeon will work.

There are a lot of piers on LI. your standard bass rigs will work on them for Mackeral, Pogies, Toutaug and other pan type fish. Rigs are available locally and shrimp and blood worms are preferred baits.
There are piers on Jones Beach, just south of Melville, Captree state park, a little farther east.
[signature]
Thank you.
[signature]
I visit Long Island frequently and would enjoy getting out fishing with someone during one of my trips. If interested reply to this post or send me a PM.
[signature]
Wish I had known you were there. I was a little north fishing for stripers. I would have had you come up.

Maine lobsters were $5 each steamed, up north, are they priced like that near the city? I ate one every day.
[signature]
It would have been fun. I haven't checked on the price of lobsters while I have been there, so I have no idea what they are going for.
[signature]
I started this original thread in 2012 and the last activity was in 2013. The Sad part is my thread is still on page 1.[frown]

I have long since quit traveling to New York, once a month.
[signature]
I agree, I've seen this same thing happen on several BFT boards, it's really too bad other BFT state boards, like this one, never took off. I guess no one in the state cared enough to put in the time to contribute and make it a worth using, like we did on our state board[Sad].
[signature]
Well, this thread brought back a lot of memories. Unfortunately, they were all for traveling to New York 44 out of 45 months and none for fishing in New York.