Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ever Heard of LEE & Son Bamboo Fly Rods
Was just given this weekend a Bamboo 9' 3 parts / 2 different tip ends made by LEE & Son of Redditch in UK.

Can't find much on Internet, even under vintage bamboo fly rods.

Anyone kow this products, history, quality, etc.?
[signature]
Here are some pictures.
[font "Century Gothic"][#008000][size 4]Hi LeGrand - There is a fellow in Calgary that is selling the exact same rod for $85.00. That is all I know about this company.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[url "http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=401912988"] [/url]
[url "http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=401912988"]
View larger image
[/url]
Date Listed 04-Aug-12 Price $85.00 Location Calgary
am selling my very old and collectable bamboo fly rod,they are very hard to find these days,it was made by M. LEE and Sons ltd,Redditch, England,it is 3 sectons ,aprx 9ft,and is in very good cond.
call Ron @ 403-
[center][/center]
[signature]
Yeah the rod has some similarity, but the handle is different and his looks like a 2 piece rod, instead of a three piece. We can see the small logo on the rod, it's the same as mine. also as can be seen with my added photos the varnish and tread are similar color.

Here we go. Some pictures did not turn out as expected.

I added a Canadian dime to compare the size in pictures.

Was wondering how a fly line could go through the red ceramic inners.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]The guy in Calgary did mention in his note that he had a 3 section rod. I thought that your original question asked "has anyone ever heard of LEE & Sons Bamboo rods. To that end I couldn't find any background on this company as to whether or not they are still in business, their size of operations, etc. Since then have you picked up any info?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
You are right. Was looking for information. I don't believe the company Redditch is still in operation.

I'm noticing that my photos don't appear. Got to figure out one of these days on how to proceed.

I need to do some small repairs on mind. Knowing the model and the potential year. Would enable me to try to match the type of ferrures to order some where.

My handle is not all cork. Also the end tips have a red ceramic insert where the fly line comes out.

Thanks for the contact. It's a beginning.

Cheers.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Hi LeGrand,
To post a picture just follow the instructions below.e.g.
On the line that states Attachments, click browse and find the folder that contains the picture that you want to post. Next click Upload attachment. Add any comments that you want to make then click Post Reply. If you want to insert the actual picture in your post, then it will be necessary to check the Inline box, click upload attachment, then click the little picture box on the left side of the tool bar and follow the instruction indicated there.
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[signature]
Thanks DryRod. TubeDube also provided me the link to his post giving the instructions on various methods.

Presently on IPhone, so I'll do it later on latop.
[signature]
OK corrected the links on previous posts to attached pictures.

I'm still looking and joined a specialized fly fishing Forum on Bamboo rods.

Hope to hear from members in UK.
[signature]
Many Bamboo rods come with two tips. They can be different weights depending on the rod, but in most cases, the extra tip was meant to be rotated when fishing the rod so no chance of a set forming in the bamboo.
That rod is definitely in prime shape, and I am guessing a six weight. As for the guides, many have inserts in the eye of the guides to keep them smooth. In the old days, "silk" line was used which is smaller diameter than todays lines.
May I suggest you post these pictures up on "Clarks Vintage Fly Rods" No one knows more about bamboo rods than these guys.
[signature]
Thanks FlyGoddess.
Will check that referred place.

Just checked the site. It is now called the "Classic" which I had already registered to two weeks ago and enquired on my bamboo rod. Still waiting for more details.
[signature]