Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crappie Fishin
Hey anybody out there, I'm new, just got started, a buddy of mine, Poncho from Utah turned me on to this web site . I live on Lake Pomona do a little fishing there, anybody out there been tearing up the crappie out there lately ? Poncho and I went to Melvern the other day and got into a few nice crappie & white bass.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Pomona, welcome to BFT. And thanks to my buddy Poncho for turning you on to our fishing circus. I got your PM and I will be sending you some BFT stickers to put on your forehead...or maybe your vehicle or boat.

Normally you would get your stickers from the moderator of the board for your state. But...when I checked out Kansas...I was surprised to find there was no moderator. Maybe you guys can do some more recruiting and get some activity going. Then, If you are a masochist and we like your style, maybe you can even take on the job. Doesn't pay anything, but it can be a lot of fun.

I am the moderator for the float tubing board. I live in Arizona and am also a moderator for the Arizona site. But, we ran out of water and fishermen in Arizona and don't get too much activity. We do have a lot of fun on the float tubing board, however, so if you do any of that stuff, come on over and chime in.

Hey, Poncho, howya doin'?
[signature]
Hey tube, i'm doing good getting in alot of fishing time and catching lots of fish. Having a good time in Kansas, it's nice to have water to fish. Caught a couple of big drum at the spillway yesterday also some white bass. The winds been blowing for the last 3 days so i haven't had my boat out, i think the wind is supposed to lay down tomorrow. I hope so. That's it for now talk at you later.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, those drum are lots of fun and good eating too. They are inland cousins of the famous "redfish" in Atlantic and Gulf waters. I have taken some chunky ones...on lures...that made me thing I had something a lot bigger on my line...like a record bass or catfish.

Did you get those on jigs or spoons...or dragging crawlers?

Hope the weather gives you a break. I am waiting for the weather to stabilize here too. It finally dropped in temperature, but the transition of seasons usually brings more wind than I like to fight..expecially in my Fat Cat (float tube). Hopefully next weekend will bring both cooler water and calmer breezes.

Good luck and keep those fishies busy.

You should post those pics on the Utah board, if you haven't already. Those troutaholics out there will probably lump drums in with carp and suckers. Although there are more warm water fans and even some other transplants who already know about drums.

By the way, down in 'Nawlins they calls dem drums "gaspergou".
[signature]
Hello Pomona,

Welcome, glad to hear your gettin on the water.

Although I'm not in Kansas I did do a bit of crappie fishing the other day. Well we weren't really crappie fishing we were actually catching the crappie on a fly (pretty samll ones) and fishing them for bass bait on a local private lake (great bait). We typically can't use crappie as live bait but it is a private lake specail deal until Nov. 3rd.

I do like to fish crappie besides bait but there isn't really great crappie fishing local here. They are mostly in the Bass lakes and don't live to get very big due to high bass populations.

Look forward to seeing your reports, good fishing!
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
I caught the drum on 3in. yellow curly tails. Already put the pictures on the Utah board.
[signature]
[cool]Yeah, I went over and looked after making this post.

You know, I used to do a lot of damage with the 3" yellow twisters. They worked especially well on Willard Bay, for walleyes...especially when fishing in the muddy water where the wind was blowing onshore. The channel cats loved them too, and I found them to be a cood night fishing color. I fished them mostly with dark red heads...but sometimes used hot red.

Down in the salt marshes and canals below New Orleans I caught tons of redfish on 3" white twisters...with a white head and hot red eye. In the murkier water, I switched to chartreuse sparkle with a hot red head. Here's a pic of a catch, including a 33" red that weighed out at 13.5 pounds.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage0011035.jpg]

Those other 4 fish are "specks"...speckled sea trout. All mighty fine in the pan. I had some days when I released at least 50 each of the reds and specks on a good moving tide.
[signature]
I have been itching for some crappie action. they haave been hanging just out side my casting area, I may have to wait till ice to be able to reach them.

I expect a good crappie season this year.....

by the way I am in michigan....

look forward to hearing of some hookups....

and welcome to bigfishtackle.....
[signature]
yo' was up ? welcome to the site !

going after the crappies ? i'm giving them a try this weekend too ! the pearch have headed out into deeper waters on the huron and the papermouths have come in . big uns' too , 12 to 17 " of course i'm thinking the 17" size is a fishermans boasting , but i'll give them a try anyways . watcha using for a set-up ? bait , spinners ?
[signature]

Hey there Pomona,

Welcome to BFT and our many resources and message boards. I'm wondering what subspecies of Crappie (White, Black, or Speckled) you're catching?

Here in California, we have several subspecies ourselves. Up in a number of lakes in central Califorina, we can fish for them with live bait. We use a bobber and live-line a minnow till WHAM! You can tell how big the slab is by either how fast the bobber travels across the water or violently the bobber goes down! Lots of fun.

Again welcome

JapanRon
[signature]
[#800000]Hey there Lonehunter thanks for the welcome.[/#800000]

[#800000]We been using 1/8 oz. lead head with a plastic jigs, whatever color's working at the time, we let it sink to the buttom and lift it up a couple of cranks. We caught some in the 12 inch range, but there's bigger one's down there, 17 inch would be nice, did you get any? [/#800000]

[#800000]Are you a deer hunter,starts Dec 3 rd. around here I'm ready. [/#800000]

[#800000]Catch ya later[/#800000]
[signature]
Hey Tubedude thank's for the stickers just got back from a trip to Texas and they were in the mail.
Planing on go down around San Benito Tx. in March and try a little ocean fishing can't wait don't know what we'll fish for but shiuld be a blast.

Thanks again
Pomona
[signature]
Hello there JapanRon.
We have black & white crappie here I use minnows and or jigs and a bobber here in the spring,when there spawning. This time of year we usually use jigs close to the buttom we use minnows some. This time of year they usually don't slam em, but in the spring they hit em hard.

Thanks for the welcome
Catch ya later

Pomona
[signature]
Hey there Davetclown nice to hear from ya. We don't get enough ice here for me. When it does freeze up we see some people out there on it, not me i'm a coward, i'll stick to the boat!! Gonna try this weekend if were not getting a strong Kansas wind.

Talk at ya later.

Pomona
[signature]
yes i am [Wink] . so far this year i have harvested three for the freeser .

our opener for rifle is the 15th , saturday . i'm taking a young lad out for his first buck . i just returned from the area i prepaired for him and it looks like a 4' tall beaver has chewed the trees up !

hopefully the bucks will still be challanging each other over ownership of the small plot . [Smile]

i won't be hunting the opener , i'm going to give this kid the full atention he will need to make his passage into proper sportsmanship behavior . nothing less will do for me .[cool]
[signature]
welcome to bft and let me know how they are biteing
[signature]