Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fly Line
What fly line do you guys like, I just got a new 4wt 8'3" rod and new some line. Will be fishing mostly smaller rivers and smaller lakes. Looking for a floating line and will be mostly using it for trout with dry flies and small nymphs.
[signature]
Sharkskin[cool]
[signature]
along with one of your furled leaders that i still need maybe I can meet up with you this week [Wink]
[signature]
sure! (as in yes)[Smile]
[signature]
+1
[signature]
Have you ever had problems with the sharkskin ripping up your fingers?

I have heard a lot of good reviews and even tried casting with the sharkskin and I loved it...But I had a guide share with me that you need to wear gloves with it because if you hook a good fish and it runs hard on you the line can be like sand paper on your fingers...just wondering what your experience has been
[signature]
I have had fish run, but, I am not holding the line when they do. I palm the reel though.
I fished with SS 7 to 8 hours a day for 7 days straight last year. The combination of the line texture and water, I did end up with a cut on the crease of my pointing finger. But I have got this before from regular line. The wet PVC coating.
I have been using it for a very long time. It floats better, cast easier, last longer. All of this is fact. I love it, but they do sell finger gaurds for line burn which as I said, can happen with any line when water is added. I got a lnasty burn with my clear camo Intermediate at Henry's one year when a Tank hit and ran[Wink]

If I meet up with any of you I would love to let you swing the SharkSkin. It is amazing.
[signature]
[quote FishingRookie]Have you ever had problems with the sharkskin ripping up your fingers?

I have heard a lot of good reviews and even tried casting with the sharkskin and I loved it...But I had a guide share with me that you need to wear gloves with it because if you hook a good fish and it runs hard on you the line can be like sand paper on your fingers...just wondering what your experience has been[/quote]
Only if you have girly hands and fingers. Or you're stripping in for 6 or more hours. The other line that's almost as good is the Mastery Textured GPX line. It's a SA line too, but for girly man fingers[Wink] and about $20 less expensive.
[signature]
Ive been using it on my 7 weight for over a year now and no need to wear gloves.
Yes if you rip through your hands it will burn but even regular fly line with give you a small burn.

The only thing I dont like about Sharskin is a zipping noise but then again I don't like the clicking noises reels make so potato, patato.

If you can get Sharskin at a good price well worth it but in my book Rio Grand cast and floats better and not the hefty price tag.
[signature]
I have never claimed to have the manliest hands...but I was just wondering from what I heard from someone.

I have cast the lone and it was a very noticeable difference, I just never hooked a big enough fish to really rip lone out so I was wondering...I would recommend it if you can afford it...I can't yet so I stick to my other sci angler lines.
[signature]
[quote sinergy]Ive been using it on my 7 weight for over a year now and no need to wear gloves.
Yes if you rip through your hands it will burn but even regular fly line with give you a small burn.

The only thing I dont like about Sharskin is a zipping noise but then again I don't like the clicking noises reels make so potato, patato.

If you can get Sharskin at a good price well worth it but in my book Rio Grand cast and floats better and not the hefty price tag.[/quote]

The reason Rio Grand casts so well is the same as the GPX. It is one half size larger.
I thought they were discontinuing Grand, but there is still a bunch out there.

I do like RIO lines, but I am at a stand still with that brand at the moment. I have the TypeVII line by rio. The outer sheeting separated from the inner core. Very visible defect. I sent it back to Rio three weeks ago and have not heard anything. I am presently out the cost of the line AND the line. Their ball park now and yes I registered the mail and I know they have it.[mad]
[signature]
ha ha ha if it does that to my fingers i would never buy that line. plus i wonder how painfull after a long day of casting wollies and stripping super fast red marks wouldnt be fun at all.
[signature]
That stinks I haven't had any problems as of yet going I'm going on my 3rd season. I do switch out my spools and lines for winter. Hopefully you get everything worked out
[signature]
FFL, the line is guaranteed to add distance to your cast. I am sure if you got a chance to cast some, you would be mowing lawns to buy some.
It is the only dry line I use and out of 5 years of using it, one week (again, this was 7 to 8 hours a day for a week)I ended up with a small cut in the crease of my stripping finger. Any wet line could have done this.

I finally got a package from Rio today. I sent them, clearly marked several times, that this was a TYPE VII.
They received it on the 16th. They shipped out on the 23rd, a TYPE VI. Big difference!!!!
So I called them. Now I have to wait for them to send the RIGHT line and a return sticker for the VI.
So disappointed in Rio service.
[signature]
Maybe late in life when I got $100 just to spend on it ha ga ha u might try it
[signature]
I think the fly line is the most important part of fly fishing next to fly and presentation.
You can use a $14. rod with SS and look a like a pro, let alone feel like one.
[signature]
Does anyone no anywhere that it might be on sale, Ive checked ebay, amazon and just about everywhere else and cant find it for any cheaper than 96.00! Must be good stuff if it doesnt go on sale. Went to sportsmans in riverdale and they dont carry it, who might have it if I end up buying it, I need new line by next saturday so Im going to be gettting some line by then.
[signature]
I have never got it on sale. Cabela's
[signature]
Do they not have it at the sprotsmans in salt lake either?
[signature]
I don't think so. Fish Tech might have it.
[signature]