Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preferred Head Cement/Glue & Looking For A New Vise
Just wondering what you experienced fly tiers prefer for head cement/glue when tying? I have been tying for 4 years now and havent really found one that i like too much to alway buy.

Also, I am in the market for a new vise and was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to look for or purchase? Or even if someone has one they are looking to sell by chance.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
[signature]
Zap-A-Gap all the way. A little on the thread just before the whip finish. And it is one of the only waterproof super glues on the market.
[signature]
I'm no expert fly tier but I will second the zap a gap! That stuff is awesome!
[signature]
I tied for 4 years on a Cabelas kit. I tie lots of big streamers. This year I purchased the Dyna-King Trekker. I really like this vise. If I had not purchased the Trekker, I most likely would have purchase the Peak Rotary vise.
[signature]
Missed that part[Smile] Renzetti here and have been for a very long time. Has to be a Rotary Vise for me. Only other vise I would consider is the Nor.
[signature]
Clear finger nail polish is what I use now.I know I'm cheep,but it works just fine. I'll second flygoddess- Renzetti.
[signature]
+1 Sallys Hard as nails works Great and its only 1.50 at Walgreens [Wink]

@Cwoodson, Im a fan of Griffin vises Ive been tying with the Griffin Mongoose and I haven't had any trouble with it just place hook and tie [angelic]
[signature]
Zap a Gap is good stuff, but I can't put it on the thread before the whip finish because I use my fingers for that.
I also do my gluing when I'm finished with a tying session, all the flies at one time, so as not to be clog the glue container and need to remove and replace the cap for each fly.

Anyway, I use a small drop of Krazy Glue on a needle or pin, and then touch that to the head of the fly, and anywhere else on the fly I want something a little more secure. Just a TINY drop, don't try squeezing direct from the container to the fly. Touch the needle or pin to the drop of glue at the opening and use that to the fly.

I use Krazy Glue on both flies, and larger plastic lures as well, and have never had an issue with water proofness. I glue up soft plastic baits with it for lake trout, and can catch dozens of toothy fish with one lure. The glued parts never get chewed up again!
[signature]
I said Zap was one of the only waterproof glues, Krazy is and so is loctite.[cool]

I tie a lot of 28 to 32s and the glue on the thread keeps it clean. I also use SHHAN on larger flies.
As I mentioned on another post, I have bought the inexpensive bulk flies. I put a tooth pick dab of Zap on the head and they are just fine.
[signature]
I do that with all the flies I buy, like the Orvis "Kenya Special" parachute adams and other standards I'd rather buy than tie. The "super glues" are definitely fly fisherman's friends. Definite must on my saltwater flies too.

As for the vise, I've only owned two in my life. A Thompson "A" back in the 70's as a beginner, and an HMH Standard I bought around 1980. That one has ended up being the vise for life. Rotates, adjustable angles, clamps anywhere, has a pedestal just in case, holds 6/0 to 24's (I'll never use a hook smaller than 18 for the rest of this life!)
[signature]
I have a Dan Vise like this one I'd sell just pm me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN9KERwtG9A

I also use super glue from just about any manufacturer.
[signature]