Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle 9/23
Checked out Jordanelle today to see how the fishing from shore is coming along. Turns out, it was a nice outing. The conditions weren't good when I arrived: choppy water, fish weren't active yet, wind. After what seemed like an eternity of casting, the evening came along and the fish came out to play. The first 4 were perch.

[Image: Perch1_zpsb9cf5204.jpg][Image: 2perch_zps7f7af335.jpg][Image: 3perch_zpsb5856dc5.jpg][Image: 4perch_zpsfc19e89b.jpg]

Then I got a rainbow and another perch on the Al's Goldfish:

[Image: 5rainbow_zps62af405c.jpg]
[Image: 6perch_zpse07850c7.jpg]

After that last perch I lost the goldfish, and switched over to a mepps comet. On the third or fourth cast something big took the comet. I couldn't get it to budge and it was taking drag like it was nothing. I couldn't handle the suspense. I got a glimpse of it, and thought it was a brown. After getting it close enough, I saw that it was a behemoth 20+ inch sucker. When I tried to net it, he took off and broke my 4lb line. Bummer. Some folks say suckers are trash fish, I say that was a hell of fight and that sucker kicked my butt.

A smallie took a spoon:

[Image: 7smallie_zpsf9dd51d2.jpg]

Then I got another perch and a rainbow, and had to call it a night.

[Image: 8perch_zpsf8ba4e4f.jpg][Image: 9rainbow_zps315b7369.jpg]
[signature]
Nice report. Love fall perchin. Seems you hit the right time and place.
Hit Jordanelle this weekend as well. Couldn't keep the perch of the lines. But the Sad part is none of them had any real size to them.
[signature]
I wish someone could give me their input about how/why the bass population at Jordanelle is so crummy. Where is BASSRODS when I need him?!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It's all the DWR's fault. They don't stock enough bass or chubs.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
There is a number of why's..

The two biggest is keeping bass over 12" and the poor spawning the bass has had over the last 3 to 5 years, But the main one is keeping bass..

Some say the bigger bass witch would be the older fish have died off, and that may be true but where did the 15" 16" 17" and 18" and 19" bass all go as well???
[signature]
Like moths to a flame...
[signature]
No bass good deal !!! maybe i'll try fishing it now but be sure if i do get some they are going home up to a limit!!!
[signature]
Haha, I guess Jordanelle is a controversial place when it comes to bass. I wasn't really targeting them. Just thought I'd throw a line and see what bites.
[signature]
I thought the biggest why was the round the clock, 365 days a year spear fisherman that are always at the nelle.

But on a more serious note for the original poster...................

Nice work on the perch at the nelle. Been a while since I have seen some perch from the nelle in a post. Nice that you got them on a spinner too. I sure have not done that yet. I hope that the nelle freezes up this year so we can enjoy some browns and perch!
[signature]
[quote TyeDyeTwins]
Nice work on the perch at the nelle. Been a while since I have seen some perch from the nelle in a post. Nice that you got them on a spinner too. I sure have not done that yet. I hope that the nelle freezes up this year so we can enjoy some browns and perch!
[/quote]

I'm guessing it didn't freeze up last winter? I bought an ice auger and pole recently. I haven't ice fished since I was 10, but I'm excited for this season. I hope it freezes up too. If it does, it'll be on my hit list for sure.
[signature]
[quote harlin][quote TyeDyeTwins]
[/quote]

I'm guessing it didn't freeze up last winter? I bought an ice auger and pole recently. I haven't ice fished since I was 10, but I'm excited for this season. I hope it freezes up too. If it does, it'll be on my hit list for sure.[/quote]

The few times I went by it was a no go, but I am sure soemone went. Targeting the browns was the goal of ice fishing it. Now some perch could be on the hit list this year.
[signature]
The Rock Cliff arm almost always freezes over. The Hailstone area is quite iffy. RC usually offers some decent trout action but it is hit-and-miss for perch unless it freezes quite a ways up the arm, reaching deeper water.
[signature]