Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruel Stanyer
Anyone familiar with his custom built fly rods?
[signature]
So many people build rods these days, myself included. Nothing comes up for that name.
[signature]
Well he was well known back in his time, mainley for the stanyer ducktail but he made rods for some preety famous people, I've been told. Had he had a shop here in Twin Falls. I met him in '79 when I moved here from South Dakota

The rod I just got was made especially for Leonard Miracle, I believe as the last name was spelt Miriacle, which might be the author of the Complete Book of Camping, written in 1963 the same time and in googling I found an article that Mr. Miracle had about floating the Bruneau and putting his fly rod together and fishing. Anyways, not sure if that's a connection or not, but it was interesting

I guess one of my questions was going to be how to decyfer the number he had put on this 8' 2 pc fiberglass rod (#280 197), not sure anyone would know but I thought I would ask. Thanks FG for responding.
[signature]
Very cool. Always nice getting a Legend. I am checking on those numbers for you.
I am thinking the 280 is the 2 piece 8 foot, it is the 197 I am looking for. Could be a taper, or some kind of weight.
[signature]
Hey Michael, I have asked some collectors and still getting answers, but the most popular is the 280 is as I said the 2 piece 8 foot and the 197 is 1970es. Any thing say the weight of line?
[signature]
No mention of weigth or line
[signature]