Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jacob got his antelope
Well today was the first day of Jacobs first antelope hunt. It was also his first time to hunt them with a muzzleloader. We have scouted a lot this summer and saw a lot of bucks. As his hunt grew near the water and the bucks in the area were in short supply. To top off a little bad luck it rained the last couple of days so the antelope were not on water, and I forgot Jacobs’s shooting sticks. Well I found a couple of alder sticks on the road to his area, and made a set of shooting sticks with a string.

For this hunt we decided to try a new tactic. We were going to hunt scrapes. We found a spot that had a lot of sign and the bucks had scraped and peed there a bunch. We sat up a blind and we set out a decoy. We saw a few does at first light. At about 9:30 I look over and told Jacob that a buck was here.
He asked about shooting it and I told him it was his hunt he would need to decide for him self. Soon he said I am going to try it. I was watching out of a hole in the blind. I had used the range finder and he had the yardage, he set the sight for 86 yards, and all that was left was to get into shooting position without being seen. This is what the antelope saw.

[Image: Jacobshunt06.jpg]

He eased the rifle up and the antelope had him pegged. The buck stared at us and I thought at any second he would bolt. The buck turned his head and Jacob got the big 50 on the shooting sticks. I heard the hammer cock. I heard the set trigger snap. I eased my finger into my left ear and watched. At the shot I saw the bucks whole left side sink in. I saw the buck thrown sideways a step. A huge hunk of hair was hanging in the air. I also saw the bullet skip at least four times across the dirt and grass kicking up dust. The buck was on the run now. Jacob said I could not have missed! I said, “you didn’t”. The buck wobbled and I saw the blood coming out of a hole in his ribs. A couple more steps and the buck was down. The big 460 grain Paper Patched slug had done the job.

He was so happy he had a Smile all over his face. He had just killed his first Muzzleloader antelope buck. I was way more than excited for him. Ron

[Image: Jacobshunt11.jpg]
[Image: Jacobshunt07.jpg]
[Image: Jacobshunt08.jpg]
[Image: Jacobshunt02.jpg]
[Image: Jacobshunt05.jpg]
[signature]
Right on! Sounds fun! Congratulations to Jacob.
[signature]
Yahoo! Congrats to Jacob. Now onto the monster muley. Good luck
[signature]
Tell him I said congrats. That is awesome.
[signature]
Way to go Jacob! You guys are awesome.

Nothing like high fivin' your pops over a dead buck. Those are always memorable ones.
[signature]
Very cool
[signature]
very nice with the muzzleloader...Congrats
[signature]
Thanks guys. This was a super hunt for me for so many reasons. Jacob is such a great kid he deserved it. He has been a life guard for a couple years at the city pool. This summer he taught swimming lessons for free for his Senior Project, and he started a fund raiser to install a new diving board, slide, pool filter, and new life guard equipment. He spent all summer working three jobs and fund raising which he raised $15,000 for the city pool upgrade project. He was so busy that he only got to go fishing a couple times. This hunt gave us several scouting trips and the hunt. Like I said he is a good kid. Ron
[signature]
Wow congrats to Jacob and you for getting him out there. He sounds like a great young man. Looks like you both had good time.
[signature]
Cool. Looks like a nice set up and a good time.
[signature]