Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield has been a blast this week.
I guess the Chub talk has really soured a lot of the local anglers on Scofield.

I've taken a few trips up there now and had great fishing. Yes the average trout size is smaller than you'll find at Strawberry -- but the big ones are there.

Today my father and I caught the largest trout we have caught in the state of Utah.... a 24+" Cutthroat trout. He was measured, photographed, and released to go eat more Chub.

During the morning (approx 4 hrs of fishing), we caught a total of 18 fish -- mostly Cuts between 12-14 inches.

But we did land this monster and another Cutt that was just over 18" -- both well fed fish.

I've included a picture of me with the fish... and there is some story to the photo. The blood on my fingers is from a freshly killed chub we were going to use later for bait (the big fish was not caught on chub meat).

If you notice, the pole behind me is bent and the line is tight. In the process of landing the monster, we didn't notice there was a fish on the other line until a few moments after the photo when I released the fish -- I laughed when I noticed that in the picture.

Once we switched to Chub meat for bait, the fishing was fast and furious -- in the right spots. We probably would have doubled our haul for the day had we started using that tactic instead of trolling and casting lures.

Anyway -- an AWESOME day of fishing up at Scofield; rivaling our best days this year at Fish Lake -- but probably a second still to Lake Powell that is a unique kind of fun.
[signature]
That is a mighty fine cutthroat. Congrats!
[signature]
Solid fish! Nice to see some saying a length of a fish and the photo actually showing it! Good to see there are still some hogs in there.
[signature]
Now thats one big cutty for Scofield! Great fish guys!
[signature]
Nice Fish. I agree it is nice to see some smaller lakes are producing big fish. I guess I nees to try Scofiled this year. Thanks for the pic.
[signature]
Nice catch! I love the big broom tail.
[signature]
we were there today and fishing was good but slow. Three of us got 29, 22, 16 respectively. The biggest was 22". A cut and one tiger that was 20". Not a 49 fish day like last trip, but still a great trip. Sorry, I don't do pictures. To busy catching fish. We tried catching chubs for bait, but not even one. Tried every known chub technique and only one on. It got away. Nuts, they are such good bait.
[signature]
Odd... our Chub bait plan actually came up because we pulled one in on a Jakes while targeting the trout.

What do you do to target them? Do they hit worms? I've heard power bait will catch them quickly -- usually.

They are constantly feeding on the top at Scofield... which makes me wonder if small flies might be the trick.

I've also heard they are easier to catch in the river below the dam....
[signature]
There are some massive schools of chubs down in the river. I always caught them while fishing for trout there on bead head nymphs.
[signature]
Cool... I have a couple bead-head nymphs. Thanks for the tip!
[signature]
What a pig! Nice fish!
[signature]