Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone fish from a kayak?
It looks like fun. Anyone know where I can get a test drive fishing from a kayak?
[signature]
Sorry if this is off topic, but the only kayak that comes close to a tube or toon is the Freedom Hawk type:

http://www.freedomhawkkayaks.com/index.php

It retains the speed of a kayak and SOME (not all) of the hands free, stability, comfort, etc. advantages.

Hope this helps.

Pon
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are quite a few BFTers who fish from a yak. In fact, there are several I know of who have both a yak and either or both a tube or toon. There are advantages to all, depending on where you fish and what your style is...if you have any style.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?category=73"]HERE IS A LINK[/url] to the Kayak board on BFT.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Use your search engine to look up Kayak Fishing and you will be reading for days.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks TD, BTW the green chair of the three you let me borrow is the answer. I fished Mirror lake today (caught 51) from 10 til 6 and never got out of the seat. Thanks and I will be returning the other chairs one day soon. Sooner if you need them right away.

OH and that copper fly you gave me slayed them at tibble the other day.
[signature]
We were at Butterfly. HOT action in the lillies. Three of my favorite flies were the ticket. Wulff, Caddis and Prince Nymph. Nice big Tigers too.
Sorry we missed ya, didn't see any boats on the water when we drove by.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad we got you comfortable. I also liked that green contour plastic chair when I needed one. Just goes to show you that a slight difference in fit and tilt can make all the difference in the world in being able to stay on the water longer. No rush on the other chairs. But it is gonna cost you dearly to adopt "greenie".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad the "copper pat" worked well. It has been the best pattern for me on Deer Creek this fall too. It is the favorite color for jigs used by the guys who hit the Boulders and Uintas for big troutskis. Something about that color combo of the copper chenille and the root beer hackle and tail.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well, i fished 2 or 3 times from a kayak, but motion sickness beated me [crazy]. It´s not very confortable if you have this problem. I´m talking about saltwater. I guess it should work well in a river.
[signature]
I totally understand that! I have got motion sick out on my pontoon numerous times!

I can see a Kayak for Salt Water or very shallow mucky water. and even moving water where you don't need feet.
I thought about a small one for the Jordan River.
[signature]
A couple years ago I went to Alaska. I was out on some rough water over 20 foot waves. I got sick as a dog and stayed that way until I got home. After I got home I was a CJ strike in my float tube. A wind hit from the east and I was in 2 foot rollers. I got sick again.
It hasn't been a problem since but my wife has trouble in the pontoons. Ron
[signature]
Ron, if you want help with the motion sickness, try ginger pills. You can get them at Walmart herb/vitamin dept. They work wonders for one of our daughters who has serious motion sickness issues. She just takes a couple about 15 to 20 minutes before we go on the boat or even take a long drive. It has completely solved the problem for her.

Old Troller,
I don't know where you can rent one to try, but you might check with some of the stores that sell them.

I have used kayaks before, and I do still own an inflatable one. I like kayaks for their speed and maneuverability. They are great for getting from point A to point B. But I don't like them as well as tubes and toons to fish from.

They are easily affected by wind, and there is too much wind here in Idaho to be fighting it all the time. I found it was a case of either having the paddle in my hands or my rod. I was constantly having either to anchor or paddle back into position. In a calm they were fun to fish from. In Washington they were great, but in breezy Idaho I like a tube or pontoon better to fish from. I can constantly adjust my position with my fins and not have to mess with a paddle.
[signature]
I sill like the looks and stability built into the freedom hawk kayaks.. [url "http://www.bearsden.com/page1085.html"]http://www.bearsden.com/page1085.html[/url] .. the only problem I see with them is me being clumsy and falling out as I tried to stand or sit.. [cool]

MacFly
[signature]
[Image: 405caf.jpg]
Alaska... one in a billion photo
The photo was taken at the entrance to Katlian Bay at the end of the road in Sitka , Alaska .
[Image: ?ui=2&ik=d8d69faf65&view=att&...amp;atsh=1]
The whale is coming up to scoop up a mouthful of herring (the small fish seen at the surface around the kayak).
The kayaker is a local Sitka Dentist. He apparently didn't sustain any injuries from the terrifying experience.
The whale was just around the corner from the ferry terminal, and all the kayaker could think at that moment
in time was: "Paddle Man--really fast!"
The whale's mouth is fully open with the bottom half under the boat.
If the whale had closed his mouth before he furiously paddled away -
He might have been LUNCH!!!
Look at the picture again - He is in the whale’s MOUTH!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Dr. "Jonah"?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Never heard of a dentist that dedicated to checking teeth before.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
As my dentist, Dr. Ahab, used to tell me, "Say, 'Ah,' now, and hold it open just a bit longer. There's something fishy here."
[signature]
Old Troller, PM me sometime this spring/summer and I'll let you have a test ride in my Hobie Pro Angler. But I warn you, you WILL be spoiled compared to anything else.

[Image: SV400362.jpg]
[signature]
Will do.
[signature]
can you go forward and backward in that? How about wind and hands free fishing?
[signature]
There's no reverse while pedaling, but they do supply a two-piece kayak paddle you can use either double bladed or single-bladed with the handle.

In normal mode, you pedal with your feet, steer with your left hand on the rudder tiller - and fish with your right hand. You only need your left hand on the tiller to move it, so both hands are free at least 50% of the time. It is MUCH better than a standard kayak or canoe for fishing.

It's the Rolls Royce of fishing kayaks - and just as heavy and pricey, LOL!
[signature]
But, you can only go forward, right? Fly Fishing, I would think you need to go backwards.
I see pontoons with motors going forward and they troll with the line over there shoulder. I think it t is much easier going backwards and line out in front of you.
[signature]
Pretty cool that you can use your feet. Kayaks/canoes are fun machines.

But can you turn around in your boat length, have good stability from broadside hits of wakes, just stand up on bottom to hold position in shallow water, simple mount/dismount like getting in and out of a chair, frequent portage/pack in to/between streams, 100% hands free fishing, etc..... All starting at just over $100...

Tubes/toons are designed particularly for fishing, not as an afterthought.

That's the way I see it, anyway...

Pon

[quote RockyRaab]There's no reverse while pedaling, but they do supply a two-piece kayak paddle you can use either double bladed or single-bladed with the handle.

In normal mode, you pedal with your feet, steer with your left hand on the rudder tiller - and fish with your right hand. You only need your left hand on the tiller to move it, so both hands are free at least 50% of the time. It is MUCH better than a standard kayak or canoe for fishing.

It's the Rolls Royce of fishing kayaks - and just as heavy and pricey, LOL![/quote]
[signature]