Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone fish from a kayak?
I have owned and fished from a tube and a pontoon before buying this boat. There are a few places where launching my boat would be very difficult, and either a tube or 'toon would be better. But that's about the only advantage they hold - in my view.

I can stand and fish in my ProAngler. It's faster than either a tube or a 'toon, with longer range. Lots more storage space. It turns in almost its own length. It is extremely stable in all wind and wave conditions. I'm always dry. And if I need to, I can even pee.

Designed for fishing? It isn't called a Pro Angler for nothing.

As to the reverse gear aspect, you CAN turn the pedal drive around and move backward to "back troll" but it takes a few seconds to change from one to the other. To just back away from something, it's easier to use the paddle.
[signature]
Rocky:
Your pro works for you for what you do, and you are very happy with it, good for you! I am not saying you would be better off with a toon/tube, just that I lose versatility in one.

A toon/tube doesn't work as well in big water unless it is
adapted as an afterthought, with say a 2,5 Merc that weighs in at 28#. That would match/surpass speed and range of a kayak at less/similar weight and less space. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa8WjVnfCQc (30 sec) You can also stand up in a float tube, but I would rather just rent/borrow or go with friends on a big motorboat for big water-safer to stand up and pee. I didn't see a stand up grab bar on the Pro, or realize you could turn in your own length by foot pedaling with one hand free. There are pontoon products that have stand up bars and lots of storage space. What I meant is the Pro is a good fishing machine, but based on a kayak which can't match a toon for stability, bad back comfort and utility, imho. Since you have to use a paddle with the Pro anyway, what do you think of the freedom hawk kayaks? http://www.basspro.com/Freedom-Hawk-Kaya...007992ce49

Pon

[quote RockyRaab]I have owned and fished from a tube and a pontoon before buying this boat. There are a few places where launching my boat would be very difficult, and either a tube or 'toon would be better. But that's about the only advantage they hold - in my view.

I can stand and fish in my ProAngler. It's faster than either a tube or a 'toon, with longer range. Lots more storage space. It turns in almost its own length. It is extremely stable in all wind and wave conditions. I'm always dry. And if I need to, I can even pee.

As to the reverse gear aspect, you CAN turn the pedal drive around and move backward to "back troll" but it takes a few seconds to change from one to the other. To just back away from something, it's easier to use the paddle.[/quote]
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]I have owned and fished from a tube and a pontoon before buying this boat. There are a few places where launching my boat would be very difficult, and either a tube or 'toon would be better. But that's about the only advantage they hold - in my view.

As to the reverse gear aspect, you CAN turn the pedal drive around and move backward to "back troll" but it takes a few seconds to change from one to the other. To just back away from something, it's easier to use the paddle.[/quote]

I thought I heard you could turn the peddling around. Thanks.
I will agree they are faster, but never been an issue to me. More storage and longer range? Not getting that. Dry, okay, but hip waders are really no problem[Wink] In fact you only need Knee Highs in a pontoon. Those fins on a windy day to stay in one spot...pretty big plus. I hate anchors though.
[signature]
Each has its place, as I think I've said before. In its niche, each is "better" than the rest. Outside that niche, no.

A ProAngler is like a common kayak the way a Toyota Tundra is like a Prius - not much. Look at a few videos of them, either at Hobie or youtube. You'll see.
[signature]
I have looked at these boats very closely. As far as Kayaks, they are very nice. I can see why you enjoy it.
I am just saying that the only advantage I see is they are faster.....but I never race.[Wink]
If you want to compare, then you need to also look at some Youtubes, but look at equal. A 14' pontoon for $3,000.
[signature]
Me neither, sis. But because it's faster, I can get from here to there an less time - which translates to more actual fishing. If I'm chasing a wiper boil on Utah's Willard Bay, I can actually get there while it's still happening. (Well, sometimes.)

It's also as effortless as walking, which I never thought about finning a tube or 'toon. I was probably doing it wrong, but I found swim fins painful and exhausting. In the Prangler, a comfortable walking rhythm on the pedals is not only effortless but equates to the perfect walleye trolling speed.
[signature]
That is what the motor is for[Wink] But in all seriousness, the oars can get me to a spot fast. We have definitely got to meet up this year, bro. If nothing else, hook some wipers and eyes.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]
I see pontoons with motors going forward and they troll with the line over there shoulder. I think it t is much easier going backwards and line out in front of you.[/quote]

That is not just for fly fishermen. When I am trolling for walleye I enjoy going backwards. I can watch my poles better and when you get those times when a fish crashes the plug or bait close to the surface it is cool to see. Ron
[signature]
Makes sense.
[signature]
Rocky:

I can see where you're coming from, kayaks can be works of art.

The Tundra and Prius are both 4 wheel land vehicles though. A toon/tube is a different concept, like a hot air balloon compared to a 4 wheeler. Without alterations, they can go places and do things that a kayak can do as far as fishing, but slower and more precisely. Plus their niche is much larger because of smaller packing, sitting stance benefits, and increased stability as well as other advantages previously mentioned. They can more easily be adapted to the physically challenged and elderly.

JMHO.

Pon

[quote RockyRaab]Each has its place, as I think I've said before. In its niche, each is "better" than the rest. Outside that niche, no.

A ProAngler is like a common kayak the way a Toyota Tundra is like a Prius - not much. Look at a few videos of them, either at Hobie or youtube. You'll see.[/quote]
[signature]
[quote pontoonman]Rocky:

I can see where you're coming from, kayaks can be works of art.

The Tundra and Prius are both 4 wheel land vehicles though. A toon/tube is a different concept, like a hot air balloon compared to a 4 wheeler. Without alterations, they can go places and do things that a kayak can do as far as fishing, but slower and more precisely. Plus their niche is much larger because of smaller packing, sitting stance benefits, and increased stability as well as other advantages previously mentioned. They can more easily be adapted to the physically challenged and elderly.

JMHO.

Pon

[quote RockyRaab]Each has its place, as I think I've said before. In its niche, each is "better" than the rest. Outside that niche, no.

A ProAngler is like a common kayak the way a Toyota Tundra is like a Prius - not much. Look at a few videos of them, either at Hobie or youtube. You'll see.[/quote][/quote]

My built in walker[Smile]

[Image: IMG_0306.jpg]
[signature]
Well, just to emphasize once again - this is NOT an argument.

Hobie makes an H-bar for the ProAngler, too. It does exactly what the bar you showed on that 'toon does.

My Tundra/Prius analogy is based on the fact that they are both wheeled vehicles, but do vastly different things. That's just as true for 'tube/toons and boat/kayaks. They're all watercraft but they fill different roles. Example: if I were going to fish only in Willard's north marina, a tube or a 'toon would be peachy keen - and I have done so in one. But if I want to go outside the marina and troll for walleye and wipers, my Prangler is a whole lot better choice. In Texas, Florida and Kali, guys regularly fish miles out on the ocean in kayaks - but not ever in a tube/toon.

My friend, I'm 66 and no weightlifter. Even the massive 100-pound Prangler is no sweat, either fishing from it or loading it atop my Durango.

The invite is open to all. Come try mine sometime. You might begin to appreciate it - maybe almost as much as your well-deserved love of 'toons.
[signature]
Well you can see from my X5 I need but one boat in or out of marina (via electric or gas motor), But still fin power for cruising shores

IF I fished the ocean or critter infested waters, that boat of yours would be the icing on the cake. But I just fish rivers and stillwaters inland and any of the inflatables do perfect, and fit in my car[Wink]
[signature]
Well, once we start talking about hanging a motor on it, we're in a whole 'nuther kettle of carp. Having to register the thing tops my list of reasons why not.

Might as well have a bass boat.
[signature]
In some of the waters I fish, it is worth that $37.00 hands down.
One thing I need to tell you, I do not use the run of the mill oars either. They are high performance light weight. I can get a movin'
In fact, my first time on Willard with TD I was in my Renegade with no motor and ultra light oars...I was outside the marina[Wink]
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]
Well, once we start talking about hanging a motor on it, we're in a whole 'nuther kettle of carp. Having to register the thing tops my list of reasons why not.

Might as well have a bass boat.[/quote]

Except a bass boat can't get to places I can go with my boat [Wink]. Ron

[Image: P8110033.jpg]
[signature]
Well some bass boats can go in 6" of water....that could work at Willard[Wink] But you still can't steer with your feet[Wink][laugh]
[signature]