Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking Info on Fishing NYC East River
Hi All, my daughter and son-in-law live in NYC. I live in Utah and planned on fishing for fall break. My wife has informed me we are headed to NYC to see my daughter instead. They live on Roosevelt Island on the bank of the East River.

Would it be worth it to bring some gear and purchase a license to fish that river off the bank of East River? I'd love to hook up with a nice striper...

Any info on bait, location, fish species and tackle would be appreciated. If it is not worth fishing there, let me know on that as well.

Thanks in advance!
[signature]
The East River is not a freshwater river or a river at all. It is a waterway that connects the Long Island sound to the Atlantic Ocean.

So the gear that I use would be comparable to big Muskie fishing. The rods used are in the 6-7 foot range medium to heavy gear. The line test about 20 lbs. Local shops would be. With Peace token the most helpful http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=tac...4167005723

The fish you can catch are bluefish, striped bass using plugs or bunker bait.

The others that I have caught include, summer flounder fluke, mackerel and I have seen Tautog and Porgy caught as well.

The times would be incoming or out going tide. The locations on the island would be the very tip of the island. Other locations would be the Pier in Greenpoint Brooklyn on India street or at Costco parking lot in Queens.

No license needed for saltwater in nys.

Good luck.
[signature]
Wow! Thanks for the detailed information. I'm going to give it a shot...
[signature]
The TV show "Off the Hook" just did a show on catching stripers off of piers on the East River. Try to find it and watch it if you can, it was good information.

Kent is out on the Island not to far, maybe he has found a spot or some information that could help you too.
[signature]
Hi,
I live on Roosevelt Island and I see people fishing here all the time, so much so that I want to write an article about local fishing for the local paper. just wondering where it ranks for local fishing and what you catch and what the season is and what parts of the island are best and whether you can eat the fish. Also, if anyone has any photos of a picture they caught on Roosevelt Island that would be really great to include!!
My name is Briana and you can write me back here or email me privately at [url "mailto:Briana.Warsing@gmail.com"]Briana.Warsing@gmail.com[/url].
Happy fishing!!
briana
[signature]