Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Berry BEST for Last (Sunday)

I'm just telling u guys the facts... if u don't wanna take my word, take my dads. He's almost 60 years old and has fished strawberry since the year it was made when there used to be 2 seperate dams.

Strawberry reservoir was formed back in 1922. Much older than 60 years.
[signature]
I don't think there's none I just think there was a lot more of them. Or there feeding habits are changed. There's no doubt I have a lot to learn and need to practice other techniques!When I put on that one leech and had a couple follow it in, that's the first time i've used something not named worms or power bait in the longest time.... I don't think there's no big ones but I think theres a lot fewer than there was and as a result its obviously harder to get to them.Yeah I think fly fishing expense wise it out of the question right now but i'm definetely going to practice more with jigs, leeches and lures.

And yeah man it was lots of fun other than me still being in a fishing funk......Sad. But we'll have to hit up some body of water some other time!
[signature]
I worded it poorly but I meant that he fished it back when it was 2 seperate reservoirs.
[signature]
[quote FishingLunatic]

And yeah man it was lots of fun other than me still being in a fishing funk......Sad. But we'll have to hit up some body of water some other time![/quote]

Sounds good.......next time we get out I will have to let you fling a few casts with some "old and busted" flies of mine. Once you hook into a fish on the fly.........the addiction will start and the words worms and powerbait will be come a thing of the past!

PM me if you want my phone number and we will have to get out sometime soon to put the hurt on some fish.
[signature]
Other tthan people that live in Heber there's not to many people that visit strawberry 10 times. It's a 2 hour trip and expensive on gas. Yup its an opinion just like yours about it still having as many big rainbows as it used to is. Who are u to tell me good luck on life? 18 years old with lots of fishing time left. Most people with my back wouldn't even want or be able to go fishing. Good luck with yours to. Again, if these bows are being pulled out so consistantly where's the pictures? They scared of there spot being found out? They don't want their face on the internet? Take the picture only of the trout and nothing else. I never said there's none in there. I said it's not like it used to be meaning that there's not very many of them left, especially in comparison with a few years ago. If i'm the crappiest fisherman in the world and I could catch them back then, it musta been loaded with them!
[signature]
Okay cool, pm sent feel free to text whenevs. Pce!
[signature]
[#502800]A wise old strawberry addict once told me that the copper chenile represents a daphnia cluster ....... I'm not sure if that's fly tying gospel or not but it sounded good at the time?[/#502800]
[signature]
[quote WaveWolf][#502800]A wise old strawberry addict once told me that the [#ff0000]copper chenile represents a daphnia cluster .[/#ff0000]...... I'm not sure if that's fly tying gospel or not but it sounded good at the time?[/#502800][/quote]

That is not gospel. There is no similarity. Just a bugger.
Putting Together a Daphnia Cluster Fly Pattern
An added bonus to Daphnia fly patterns is that size is not a crucial aspect at all. There are a wide ranging number of 2-tone, 3-tone blob patterns and pretty much everything else in between. You are ultimately mimicking a cluster of species that can range in size quite drastically. One day you may catch trout with a #16 hook full of a colored blob that looks like a group of Daphnis and the other you may find success with a #2 hook in a big trout lake.
You also have quite a few options when it comes to colour as Daphnia are quite varied in their appearance. However, through trial and error there are many anglers who swear by pond olive or lake olive as well as variations of brown of mohair yarn as the body of your fly. If the water is dark or mucky then you can also turn to a few tones of colours such as bright pink, orange, and yellow.
If you are less interested in store bought flies then you can also create your own Daphnia variation pretty easily. You can use a variation of colors as the body of your fly and attach them in a cluster pattern, or a blob. On top of that yarn you can try to add a few strands of pearlescent flash to the tail or even some shiny chenille to the underbody. All you need to do is connect the yarn over the underbody and leave some of the excitement showing through.
Next up, you will want to add T-shirt paint after you pick out all of the mohair fibers. Hold the fibers with one hand and slowly add the paint until you have small drops all over the leech. Your best bet is to use a bright fluorescent paint such as light green or orange. For an added touch, some anglers wrap a bight of bright chenille around glass beads to create a head that will be easy for trout to spot in mucky or algae filled water.
Of course, if you are not so much into tying your own Daphnia type fly then you can opt for store bought blob fly alternatives or even options such as bright streamers, Zonkers, Mini-Leeches, lake midge larvae patterns, damselfly nymphs or colorful scuds.
[signature]

Also-Page 7 on this:

http://strawberryanglers.com/october_2004.pdf

Canadian Brown mohair for the California Leech and the CBS. I also mentioned the similarity in color.
More on daphnia flies
http://archives.flyfisherman.com/content...-daphnia/2

http://flytyingworld.com/component/conte...uster.html
[signature]