Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lower Provo?
What to use on the lower Provo? Also ware to go I have only been up there once I really want to hook into some fish with dad and show him up
[signature]
how low are you planning to go??? like up street from the marina or what and are you going to be fly fishing all the time or might try using regular poles??
[signature]
I am going this wrens and I am useing my 8 foot fly rod an plan on going past Vivian park and I was wondering if there are any good wholes up there
[signature]
PMD's 16 and smaller, BWO same, Sow bug in gray Scuds Pink, Orange, Olive. Red Copper John 16 and smaller. You could try swinging woolly buggers in Brown, black, or olive.
[signature]
ya i cant really help you with that area so much. Part to middle provo really dont like me at all. Ive only caught a few bows right under that concrete dam or spill way. I would probly try something like a olive or black color wolly bugger #6-10. Maybe red scud, prince nymph. Thats all I can say for that part of the river. Ive only fished it a few times and out of those caught only 2 bows.

If you going to fish maybe later down by the utah lake use # 4 or 6 wolly bugger and catch some white bass as well maybe some white minnow would work as well.

blue gills: zebra midges, red olive scuds, red or green john coppers.

Theres some nice gills if you can find them on the low low part by utah lake. I have been thinking maybe hit down there this weekend if i got the money. I just want to catch that walleye that unhooked him self. [mad] That walleye could of been my ticket to have a smaller bucket list.

If you want fast white bass action: rooster tail, 1/16 oz jig with a dark and light green tail grub works good.

well good luck man.
[signature]
I SENT YOU A P.M.
[signature]
as well try black and cinnamon ants. you can get the cinnamon ants at fish tech.
[signature]
Thanks so much! But can u give me some mo info ware to go I asked my dad and he don't now ware to park and ware to go,thanks hope u can get back to me
[signature]
In the many years I have guided and fished the middle and lower Provo, I have never used ants. Interesting suggestion.
[signature]
Im surprised ants are a great source of food for the fish when its windy or if they just fall into the water some how. Especially if you going after grayling in the mountain ants are amazing to use.
[signature]
I take it you read Frito's post. Have you had luck on the Provo with these? Uinta's is a different story. Many things work in the Uinta's that don't work on the pounded Provo as you already attested to. But, by all means, try them.
[signature]
fritos O.o?????? I dont fish the middle or lower provo often. Mostly high provo. When I was going to jordanelle a few weeks ago i got a few hits and miss on black ant. Maybe next year or in the winter i might hit the middle or low provo to see if the fishing will be nice to me for once gosh its like that stretch of river just hate me except in the uinta mountains. [Sad]
[signature]
There are some good holes above Vivian. Want to Show your dad up?! I suggest Nymphing it there,#6 olive wolly bugger as your attractor pattern trail size 16 chartreuse caddis larva or 18 black/gold zebra midge or 18 sow.
[signature]
There is a nice little stretch just above where you come into the canyon from Orem. You can park at the first park and walk down the path to the foot bridge, then keep on that little dirt trail for a couple hundred yards and fish your way back to the park. There's also a great stretch beginning half a mile or so above the falls and going up to the diversion dam. I tend to do the best with pheasant tail and here's ear nymphs. Just match the size of the bugs in the water and you shouldn't have any trouble getting into them. Good luck, hope y'all have a good time.
[signature]
Just know that SCUDS and SOWS are a main diet 24/7 365 days. They are always there, they are always eating them. Only guess work is size and color.
Sunset Sow Bug is KILLER this time of year.
[signature]
Would I just tie on my nimphs and strike indecator, split shots? How would I set up splite shot would I need some if I am fishing deep wholes, also how long should my ledder/tippet be for the Provo
[signature]
[quote LOVBASS117]Would I just tie on my nimphs and strike indecator, split shots? How would I set up splite shot would I need some if I am fishing deep wholes, also how long should my ledder/tippet be for the Provo[/quote]

Wow, a lot to do here. Try a 7 1/2 leader.
Watch these videos

http://youtu.be/UnMU8mDHJis

http://youtu.be/dZ0hvZX2Uf0
[signature]
As FG mentioned the provo bouncer is a good rig it also works on the weber and green. [Smile] Only thing is in the video is I've never seen anyone use that many weights on the LP or MP.

Not sure what size of weight he was using but I generally use one or two size bb split shots more than and that Im usually getting snagged on the bottom. The trick is getting your flies to bounce off the bottom if your getting snagged every cast then theres too much weight remove some weight If your getting a little moss on your flies means just about right.

Just a word of caution any bottom bouncing rig and your going to get more snags its just a risk that happens so prepare to loose some flies.

If you looking at tandem rigs ( which just means multi fly rigs ) you can also just tie a fly to the bend of the hook of the first fly its what they call a dropper fly.

I generally use a larger fly in the front size 14 to 16 and smaller in the rear 18 to 20. Use about 16 to 18 inches of tippet for the dropper, improved clinch knot right to the bend of the hook of the first fly and 1 or 2 size bb split shots 6 to 10 inches above the first fly

http://midcurrent.com/knots/seeing-double/

http://midcurrent.com/knots/tandem-fly-combinations/
[signature]
I went to cabelas today and was talking to the guy in the fly shop there and he showed me everything rigs ,nots, fly indecators everything u go to love cabelas
[signature]
Lance Egan works there. He is a member of the US Fly Fishing team and featured in many magazines. But, he is as down to earth as they come.
I don't know if he helped you, but I am sure he sets the standards kinda high there....[Wink]
[signature]