Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cabo Bite Report
[#000000][size 4]FLYHOOKER SPORTFISHING[/size][/#000000]
[#000000]Captain George Landrum[/#000000]
[font "Tahoma, sans-serif"][#000099][size 1][url "http://by106fd.bay106.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/compose?mailto=1&msg=E9B24425-C6D6-4EFA-86B7-D5501A565871&start=0&len=13726&src=&type=x&to=gmlandrum@hotmail.com&cc=&bcc=&subject=&body=&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000002&a=c34e9bb5eef4c0%20"]gmlandrum@hotmail.com[/url][/size][/#000099][/font]
[font "Tahoma, sans-serif"][#000099][size 1][url "http://www.flyhooker.com/"]www.flyhooker.com[/url][/size][/#000099][/font]
[#000000]http://captgeo.wordpress.com/[/#000000]
[#000000]Cabo Fish Report[/#000000]
[#000000] October 8 - 14, 2012[/#000000]

[#000000][#000000]WEATHER: [/#000000][#000000]Withthe early morning lows in the high 70's and daytime highs reachingthe high 90's it's plain that our fall weather has arrived. Soon weshould be seeing the highs drop to the low 90's and then we will bein paradise! At this time of the year we still have a slight chanceof a bit more bad weather, but our fingers are crossed that TropicalStorm Paul, 665 miles to the south of us continues going to the westand leaves us alone. We had no rain this week in Cabo but there weresome scattered showers up in the mountains. With mostly sunny skieswe enjoyed the light winds and smooth water.[/#000000][/#000000]
[#000000][#000000]WATER: [/#000000][#000000]Bothsides of the Cape had great conditions this week with a bit more of abreeze on the Pacific side, just enough for the most part to keepanglers comfortable and put a light chop on the water in theafternoons. The swells on the Pacific were small at 2-6 feet andspaced well apart. The water was clean and blue compared to theCortez side of the Cape and the water temperatures averaged a degreecooler at 84-86 degrees with the warmer water laying along theshoreline. On the Cortez side the water was 85-87 degrees with thecooler water toward Cabo San Lucas, and while not as clean as that onthe Pacific side, appeared blue. The swells on the Cortez side weresmall at 2-4 feet. The swells may pick up just a bit later in theweek as Tropical Storm Paul may have an effect on their size, butbeing storm swells they will be spaced well apart.[/#000000][/#000000]
[#000000][#000000]BAIT: [/#000000][#000000]Finally there were some Sardinas available this week since the swellwent down, but you had to travel toward San Jose to get them. Ascoop would set you back between 25-30 U.S. But they sure came inhandy depending on what you were fishing for. Here at home the usualCaballito and Mullet could be had for $3 each, and there were somevery large horse bally-hoo at $3 each as well.[/#000000][/#000000]
[#000000] FISHING:[/#000000]
[#000000][#000000]BILLFISH[/#000000][#000000]: Now for the good stuff as far as tournament anglers are concerned. Sorry guys, good news and bad news for you. First the bad news,there have been no large Blue or Black Marlin brought in this weekthat I have heard of. Maybe that's good news though, it means thatthey are still out there! The good news is that there have beenplenty of small Blue Marlin caught, and most of them have beenreleased. For anglers that are entering the release categories inthe tournaments this is very good news, and for everyone else it isgood news as well. In my experience, when you find packs of thesesmall male Blue Marlin there is a big female somewhere in the area. Almost without exception Blue marlin over 300 pounds are female and100% of the Blue Marlin over 400 pounds are female. The males arelike dog heat packs and somewhere in the area there is a big female. I did hear of a big Black Marlin being lost on the Gorda Banks, sothere are sure to be plenty of boats working both the inner and outerbanks during the tournaments.[/#000000][/#000000]
YELLOWFIN TUNA: The only large Yellowfin Tuna I have heard of inthe past week came from the Gorda Banks area from boats fishing withlive baits and chunk baits. There were fish caught every day butthere was no real set time for the bite to happen. Many boats spentall morning fishing the area only to leave at 1pm to get home at 3pmand find that the bite started at 2pm. Hey, it's fishing, thathappens often! Many boats went offshore as far as 40 miles lookingfor schools and they occasionally found one, but the fish were justaverage size, 10 to 35 pounds, and many pods of porpoise had to befound before finding one that held fish. Unless you were lucky, ofcourse. Closer to home it was nice to find the small footballYellowfin and Bonita showing up on the usual inshore grounds betweenSan Jose and Grey Rock. These Yellowfin were between 10 and 20pounds and almost the only way to get them to bite was by usingSardinas. The bite was neither steady nor consistent, but many ofthe boats managed to get four or five Yellowfin in the box forclients. This is great news for the tournament teams as we have hada dearth of these fish in our area, and they are a favorite of teamslooking to slow troll on the banks and drop-offs.

[#000000]DORADO: I have changed the status of theDorado from fish of the week to fish of the month! While not everyboat this week limited out, there were many more that did than didnot. Most of our anglers this week had limits of Dorado between 10and 20 pounds in the boat by 9:30 in the morning, then went outlooking for Sailfish, Striped Marlin and Tuna. Most of the Doradofishing occurred on the Pacific side close to the shore, between thelighthouse and inside the Golden Gate Bank, working outside of thatarea produced fewer fish, but on the average they were larger, somegoing as high as 50 pounds. Rigged bally-hoo were the best baitoverall, and bright lures trolled at fairly high speeds of 9-10 knotsdid the trick as well.[/#000000]
[#000000]WAHOO: Wahoo continued to show up in thecatch of many of the boats this week, but on average they were notlarge fish like we see in the spring. In fact, there were quite afew of what I call Wee-Hoo, fish in the 3-5 pound class caught. Almost all the fish were found close to the beach by boats workingfor Dorado, at least those that were found on the Pacific side. Onthe Cortez side quite a few were hooked by boats drifting bait orchunks for Yellowfin Tuna on the Gorda Banks or the mounts farther tothe north.[/#000000]
[#000000] INSHORE: In a repeat of last week, therewere scattered Roosterfish in the areas beaches, both on the Pacificside and the Sea of Cortez, but most of the pangas were working justoff the beach on the Pacific side for Dorado first, then checking inthe surf zone for Snapper and Roosterfish. If anglers wantedYellowfin a choice had to be made between the Pacific and the Cortezside, as all the Yellowfin were on the Cortex side. Boats that didfocus on the inshore fish reported few bottom fish to be found.[/#000000]
[#000000]FISH RECIPE: Check the blog for this weeksrecipe! [/#000000]
[#000000]NOTES: My music choice for this week was agirl my wife heard sing jazz at a firefighters fundraiser. She wasso impressed she bought me the CD, and I like it so much I am sharingit with you. Her name is Divier Guive, the CD is self titled andproduced here in Cabo at “Home Studio”. If you want a chance tocheck her out, go to www.reverbnation/divierguive and click on thesong Humo azul. By the way, Brian Flynn is here for just a few weeksmore before he goes on hid European tour, so if you are here and wantto hear him and Mauricio play, get in while the getting is good. Check him out at his site www.brianflynnband. Tournament season ishere and coming up in the next several weeks are the Los CaboOffshore Tournament and the Bisbee Black and Blue Tournament. I willbe fishing both so please, keep you fingers crossed for my team,“Sporty Game”! Until next week, tight lines![/#000000]
[signature]