Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Braided Line
Hi i'm new to this forum and i was hoping i could get some questions answered here.

I'm finally grasping the fishing basics of mono line and pretty much everything to that point. My Avenger abf 90 holds 30 pound test line at 330 yards. I was wondering how much braided line will it hold? and should i also put the same pound test? so a 30 pound braided on my reel? I heard some people put on bigger lb on their reels like 60 lb. i'm not sure how that works and i would appreciate it if some people shed some light on this topic.

Thanks
[signature]
Welcome to the site DG. Basically for the same test line
of mono, braid is smaller. So you will be able to put more 30 lb test on your reel. What kind of fish are you fishing for, that you would need 60 lb test? I think for almost all freshwater fishing 30lb test is more than enough. Most of the fishing I do is on 20 lb test or less. The only down fall to braid compared to mono is that braid does not stretch
as much, so if your use to a lot of stretch, you will notice a difference.
WH2
[signature]
I'm planning on fishing flat heads in my local lake and also for saltwater later on. Would it be possible for me to put on 60 lb test braided line on my reel? or do you think my reel or rod will break because it can't handle it? What would you recommended i do?
[signature]
For flathead cats I think the 30 lb braid should be fine but since you are also planning on fishing Saltwater as well, you would not have a problem with 60 lb test, although it might not be needed unless you are going after 100 lb plus fish. I don't see that putting 60 lb test on your reel will damage it but your rod might be in trouble, if you are catching 100 lb plus fish. How big are Flatheads you are trying to catch and what kind of saltwater fish will you be trying to catch?
[signature]
Im trying to go for 30lb+ flat heads. for the saltwater im not entirely sure. im just going to be surf fishing off the shore or pier with it.
[signature]
Also i forgot to ask this. So basically braided line is thinner then mono but can have the same pound test? Also do you think i could get away with using 40lb test braided on my line or will it totally wreck me if i get a good size flat head on?
[signature]
There is a greater chance of catching bigger salt water fish from a pier than from shore IMO but I really think in most cases braided 30 to 40 lb test will be more than enough for what you are fishing for. I think any line over 40 lb would be pushing it on that set up. A 30 lb cat can easily be handled on 30 lb braid. Yes, braided line is thinner then mono and will have the same pound test. This is an examle: If 20 lb test in mono is 1.000 thick then braid would be .667 for the same lb. test
[signature]
Alright all makes sense to me now. My rod is rated for a max for 30 lb. Do you think i should get 40 lb braided or go with 30 lb braided for it?
[signature]
For that setup 40 lb test braid would work fine.
[signature]
alright, thank you very much!

Tight lines
[signature]
Hey the answers about your braid are right one. The only thing I would add to everything is to make sure your drag isn't set to tight. Flat heads hit hard and with enough pressure to break a rod tip depending on the rod. So just make sure you can pull your line out where there is some but not too much tension on the line.

What size and type of reel are you using?
[signature]
He has an Avenger abf 90, I did a search and here is a video clip I came up with, if this is the same setup, it looks like a nice reel.
[signature]
You can either try to fill the entire spool with braid,or leave some mono on your reel to take up some space
on the spool ..make sure the mono you use for backing is equall too or stronger than the braided line..
I only fish braid now..
trick is to make sure the line gets spooled evenly and really tight!
[signature]