Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chum
This is a true tale... In the early 1900's Jed Welsh was a guide around the June Lake area. He always returned the $5.00 fee he received from a customer if they didn't catch their limit of 25 trout. Copying the Paiute Indians he chummed the trout two days before his charter. He hung a dead rabbit from a tree limb that overhung the water. The rabbit was sliced in the belly so that Blow-fly maggots could multiply in the gut. Each morning of his trip he shook the tree branch and dumped maggots into the water. Soon he had every trout in June Lake under that tree branch. Needless to say he didn't have to return many fees.
[signature]
maggots are supposed to be one of the best baits EVER for trout and pan fish very popular in europe for bait allways wanted to try them myself just dont know if i could bring myself to handle one Here another interesting thing i read about maggots the are doctors who have used them to treat gangrene they will eat the rotten meat right out and leave the whole tissue curing you
chris
[signature]
Yes, you're right aquaman. Maggots are larval forms of insects that have some attractive scent that fish are attracted to. One of the best is the Pine Grub the larval form of the Pine Beetle. The Paiute indians used all of these grubs for bait such as: Ant eggs, termite eggs, or any kind of Beetle larva and fly maggots.
[signature]
i knew they put out a scent i just can't remenber what it is it has been bugging me since my first reply i think it might be something like ammoina
[signature]
Yummy
[signature]