Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake advice?
So I hit Bear Lake last friday (10-19-12) for the first time ever. Got on the water about 8:30 and started trolling some spoons around in about 25-40 FOW with the riggers. Put in at Fist Point and trolled up the East side to where I think is an area called South Eden, not sure though. My buddy hooked up on two fish, I think they were cutts, but I didn't get a good look at them before they unbuttoned. I managed to land a pretty nice cutt, and that was it for the morning. Overall it was a good day, but I would like to try to improve my catch rate, so any information would be greatly appreciated!! (There's not much info in BL on the net so I figured there might be some seasoned veterans on BFT with good knowledge about this particular body of water). Through Pugstones website I heard that the lakers are moving into the shallower water to spawn, but I didn't hook up with any, also didn't mark many fish throughout the day. Could have been in the wrong area. I'm thinking next time I go out I'll try jigging. Anyone ever use Herring or Anchovies in lieu of cisco?

Thanks in advance for any info!!
[signature]
Is that a Brook trout in your Avatar? It sure has some nice color. Have you checked out our Bear lake Archives? Here is a link to it: [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/gforum.cgi?forum=85"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/.../gforum.cgi?forum=85[/url]
If you only trolled up to South Eden, you should have gone a little farther, to Cisco beach. You could have launched at Rainbow cove and gone South to Cisco beach, it is a little closer than First point. Next time you are there try checking out water a little deeper, say 40 to 60 ft even up to 90 ft. Catching at Bear Lake can be tough so having three on the hook and getting one in isn't too bad depending on the day. The mack spawn should start any time now, so don't give up. I've never used Herring or Anchovies at BL but chub or sucker meat will work fine and you can usually buy chub minnows at Sportsmans.
WH2
[signature]
Welcome to Bear Lake fishing. Get used to it. The Big Blue can kick your butt, but teases you just enough to keep you coming back.
[signature]
Yeah thats a Brookie, I agree it's got some awesome colors on it. It's actually an oil on canvas painting by a woman in Montana named A.D. Maddox, she rides a Ducati, fly fishes and paints, she's possibly my dream woman.. haha. Thanks for the info. I'm definitely addicted to fishing BL now, I can't wait to make it out there again.
[signature]
That is pretty life like, for an oil painting.
I was up at BL yesterday and hauled in hundreds of macks, cutts, whitefish, cisco, chub, sucker and carp. I was helping out the DNR with their annual gill net survey. Lots of interesting info, including one cutt that had a green sunfish in its stomach.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Lots of interesting info, including one cutt that had a green sunfish in its stomach.[/quote]

I don't know that I'd call that interesting. More like disturbing. What fool put greenies in Bear Lake?
[signature]
Well that was just one thing that was interesting, I'm not going to list everything I found out about the the gill netting operation, you will need to give it a try some time. The sunfish likely came from the same place as the catfish and perch. There is a pond above the lake that was stocked year ago with those fish, a flood washed over the pond and you can guess where they ended up. No fools involved in one, just Mother Nature.
[signature]
Hi there Flyjack, hey what boat were you in at Bear Lake last friday? I was ther in my Blue and White Starcraft, we were trolling paralell to Cisco Beach. We launched at Rainbow3.
[signature]