Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salmon River Pulaski NY Steelhead Fishing Report Salmon River NY Fishing Report Steelhead PLUS
SALMON RIVER PULASKI NY DRIFT BOAT GUIDE FISHING REPORT: Oct. 18 -2012
The water level is forecast to be at 335 cfs thru today. We also have some run-off. More rain forecast for tonight into Friday. The Pineville gauge is reading 500 cfs as I type this. Still a few fresh Salmon running the river. Most are on that special rock. All Salmon die once they spawn, so I'd guess that at least 90% have reproduced and are now in Salmon heaven or on there way shortly. Boy, weren't they fun!!
-
I've already booked some trips for next Fall and am already scheduling my days off. It sucks to be so popular (heheSmile
-
Still a few anglers targeting Salmon, while we are seeing more anglers starting to target the Steelhead and Browns. The river has fish in it top to bottom, as it will have all Fall, Winter and Spring Smile
Egg Sack's, Skein, egg imitation pattern (bead or fly) or a streamer pattern would be a likely choice to use for the fish presently. All presentational tec. working. Some better than others. Care to learn?
If targeting Steelhead presently, the first tip I was ever given was to fish water that is rippled, 2 to 5 feet deep. Everyday we are seeing more fish enter the river, running it and spread out, top to bottom.
I saw some sleet for about 10 seconds the other day and we also had our first frost. The leaves are past peek on the river and falling daily.
-
Speaking of Leaves:
Jim Rusher, past owner of Whitakers Sports Shop and Motel on Rt. 13 and World Renowned Professional Guide and Spey Caster here and up North for Atlantics once told me. When targeting Steelhead in the fall. Never throw anything (fly or bait) that resembles the color of the leaves. If you were a fish with all the colored leaves drifting into your face, you might not want to eat anything that resembles them. Similar to trash being thrown in your face and avoiding it. Smile Hmmmm!
-
Monday - Sloooow for us, we had a small presence of fresh Salmon and opportunity. Started off by blind casting into a transitional holding - resting current break, then sight fished temporary transitional holding water - rapids, as some fresh Salmon made there way up river. Fished holding water as the fish stopped moving. Fishing the upper end. Few Salmon here and there running - holding, just not the #'s we were looking for. All fresh, no one around at all, entire area to ourselves. The higher flow of water had moved some of the fish around that had been holding, which is often the case when the water level changes. The fish just re-adjust to these changes, just like we would and should. Changing there use of the many different current breaks that we have on the river. Nice article below on habitat, current breaks.
-
Next weeks Tips and Ramblings will be on - Length of time any fish will hold (current break) while in transition is determined by:
So stop back Smile
-
Mail Bag:
Angler posted:
I watched Coho and Kings leave the main river to traverse a trickle of a Pucker Brush creek for days on end.Why they leave the main river to swim in a trickle is the question.Could it be that the theory is that they return to within 15 ft of where they were spawned?If so,nature never ceases to amaze me.
-
My Reply:
I'm guessing the males may have sensed a female, ready and waiting. I'd traverse a trickle myself for good women!
-
These P.B. Creeks are loaded with that special rock. Instinct, biological clock, what is naturally ingrained from the strain (where they came from)
Ive never heard of the 15 ft., but never know.
When the fish go thru smoltification (lose par marks and turn silver at approx. 6 inch's) they imprint on the scent of that water. Each individual piece of water has its own unique flavor to which most fish will sense and return too. Just like a snow flake, unique, is how it was explained to me.
Molecular structure of H20?
-
[#3333ff]Stay tuned for more[/#3333ff] entertainingly informative and mildly educational reports and articles[#3333ff] on this never-ending virtual fishing trip with your host[/#3333ff] [#3333ff]Randy "The Yankee Angler" and friends.[/#3333ff]
I sincerely hope that what little I've been able to share with you will help you along the path to more enjoyable, safe, knowledgeable fishing.

Thanks for stopping in and spending your valuable internet fishing time here Smile
Hope your all enjoying this great fishing!
Best Fish's,
Randy
[url "http://www.yankeeangler.com/"]www.yankeeangler.com[/url] - Fishing reports (More Tips, Articles, Pic's and my usual Ramblings Smile
Salmon River Pulaski NY Fishing Report Salmon River NY
-

SALMON RIVER PULASKI NY DRIFT BOAT GUIDE FISHING REPORT: Oct. 13 -2012
Same ol same hole - Loaded! (within reason Smile
More Salmon turning to that special rock. More fresh Salmon entering the river, running up and spreading out. All habitat's producing. Increase of Steelhead and Brown Trout entering the river, running it, spreading out. To early to target, in my opinion, but to each his own. Over the last few days some anglers down low have actually played with more Steelhead and Browns than Salmon.
-
Please check these for current and forecast water flow. The water came up to 600 cfs and is dropping as I type this at 1pm. That should cause some fish to enter. We are forecast to get a lot of rain tonight (1/4 inch), chance of scattered rain Sun. and Monday. Plan on some run-off plus whatever they plan to release.
[url "http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/uv/?site_no=04250200"]http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/uv/?site_no=04250200[/url]
[url "http://www.h2oline.com/365123.asp"]http://www.h2oline.com/365123.asp[/url]
They are forecasting:
Until 11:58 PM today, Sat, 285 CFS
All published flows are approximate and forecasts are estimates only. Actual flows will vary and can change quickly at any time. Always be alert and wear an approved flotation device. Never go in or near the water until you know and accept the risks you are assuming by being in this area!
-
Last Coupl'a Guide Trips:
Answering another angler's question: I'd guess over 100 zebra's (many still solid colored, hard fighting) in and around that 1 spot presently, top to bottom of pool. (As many places presently) Some backs out of the water, so loaded - walk across there back's, stuff. I've never seen that many before in there. Guess there all bunch'd up due to flow. Spoke with an angler who walked a lil spot. Said it was a trickle, but loaded w/ Cohos. All colored up. To low to actually fish, he said.
-
Salmon Slang:
Zebra's - Palominos - are what some of us call old'r Salmon. Salmon all die once they spawn. As they mature once in the river they start to get white area's on them. We have many of those thru out the river as well as many fresher Salmon presently. If they are a solid color they tend to fight harder and are ok to eat. Once they start to show some of the older colors, I would not recommend eating them. They will still take you 5-10 minutes to pull in. Like pulling in a bus!
-
Another trip was the same as in past guided trip's:
This relates nicely to "previous post - finding your quarries weaknesses and then exploiting them". We started off blind casting with an obvious presence of fish in an area that they would hold - rest in after running the shallow rapids and also while they were in a transitional stage thru a narrow channel. You can legally start fishing a 1/2 hour before sunrise on this river. As it got lighter out we did some sight fishing in the rapids - pockets, prime transitional temporary resting holding water. As it got even brighter out and the fish stopped moving, we moved to a tail of a rippled run. Depth of water, safety, a nice place to hold for the day until the next low light period. It was stacked with the fish that had run that morning and decided to hold in this prime current break. The water was BLACK with fresh Salmon tightly packed. Ye-Haa!
Even YOU could'a caught one! (hehe)
-
Both day's many fish were played with, many fish were lost and some fish were landed. I guess we just got lucky Smile
-
As we all continue to target the dominate species of Salmon in the river presently. We are all getting ready for another incredible Steelhead - Brown Trout season starting Nov. 1. thru early May.
If your intrested in catching 3-5lb. average size Brown Trout, I know of a few places where they normally stack up in Nov.
One Nov. I remember counting 85-90 Browns in an 1/8 mile long area. I think it's called Pucker Brush Creek?
Or, we can always target those rocket ship Steelhead and maybe pickup an occasional Brown Trout as a by product of fishing for Chrome.
-
Maybe I'll see ya, save me a rock Smile
-
[#3333ff]Stay tuned for more[/#3333ff] entertainingly informative and mildly educational reports and articles[#3333ff] on this never-ending virtual fishing trip with your host[/#3333ff] [#3333ff]Randy "The Yankee Angler" and friends.[/#3333ff]
I sincerely hope that what little I've been able to share with you will help you along the path to more enjoyable, safe, knowledgeable fishing.

Thanks for stopping in and spending your valuable internet fishing time here Smile
Best Fish's,
Randy
[url "http://www.yankeeangler.com/"]www.yankeeangler.com[/url] - Fishing reports (More Tips, Articles, Pic's and my usual Ramblings Smile

-
SALMON RIVER PULASKI NY DRIFT BOAT GUIDE FISHING REPORT: Oct. 7-2012
Loaded! These are the salad days.
Water Temp. is around 58 and well be dropping with cooler night and day time temp's. I'd suggest dressing warm in the morning (especially if rain) The water came up a lil after some local rain's, run-off. (also some lake enhanced). It's still up a lil as I type this. Not enouph rain for them to raise the water level now or anytime soon.
With a lot of Salmon dropping egg's we are (as forecast) seeing more Brown Trout and Steelhead entering the river. The Brown's are also coming in to prepare to spawn in Nov. If I was to target these fish I would try the lower end. Fish the heat, fast aerated water, current breaks in these area's are always helpful.
Today's Steelhead Tip:
Fish any deep (in some cases shallow), fast, aerated water that is combined with a current break below any spawning Salmon in the lower river. FYI - The entire river is filled with spawning Salmon. Any classic, easy to read Steelhead lye will produce, especially in this water level in the lower end presently. Best bet for some metal (Metal Heads, Chrome, Silver bullet's, Freshies) Steelhead or Browns. These fish will run the river just like the Salmon did. So holding and transitional holding water will produce. Still a lil early to target Steelhead and Browns, but to each his own.
We continue to see nice run's of Salmon entering the river daily, working there way up. The Salmon River is fishing HOT, top to bottom. I'm seeing more fish (Salmon) in certain area's than I've ever seen before. Amazing! It's just like looking into an aquarium full of 10-20lb. average size fish!
-
Guides Habitat Most Fish Tip for Today:
Presently, I'm fishing every type of Habitat that the fish use in different ways and at different times of the day, all with in 300 feet. (Holding, Transitional Holding, Pools, runs, channels, rapids, pockets, etc...) We are able to move around freely and fish each type of habitat when it's at it's prime, thru out the day. (The most fish, sight or blind castingSmile By intimately understanding and knowing this allows you to find your quarries weaknesses and then exploit them. More on this subject below and in past reports can be found on my websites - fishing reports page.
-
Isn't it different without all the drift boats?
With the water level being this low, 99.99% of us are not running them. I'm not even seeing any float tubes? There are some rock's I've notice in this level that could cut - puncture open my aluminum drift boat bottom like a tin can in a can open'r.
I actually enjoy wading more at this time of the busy season. With the boat you have to fish from point A to point Z. Wading allows you to fish anywhere at anytime. I also joke that I sometimes feel like a pinball in a machine, dodging anglers while being polite. I've always felt that in some cases, Im interfering with other angler's as they sometimes have to stop fishing so I can get by in some narrow sections. Thats why I feel its a privilege to row the river and always try to be polite, quite and courteous to my fellow anglers. Sometimes even getting out of the boat and walking it around other anglers. Or floating over a good spot with my oars out of the water. Putting in an extra effort to row behind anglers, when conditions allow. Many times answering anglers question's or offering some helpful fishing info. on what I just saw, where many of the fish are at, what Im getting them on, etc... I also find a "Thank You" is a polite way to pass anglers who stopped fishing to let me by. I sometimes get a blank stare or a surprised look in return, as I think I'm one of only a few who say, Thanks guys!
A joke or two never hurt's either.
P.S. Sometimes I have to row over certain water as the contour of the bottom, boulder's, rapids, shallows, narrows, etc.. wont allow me to drift any other way, unfortunately.
Lil tip:
Next time a drift boat goes by you, cast! Numerous fish have been played with after a boat goes by. Sometimes it moves the fish around a lil, turns them into players. Just ask any ol'timer Smile
-
Whats a Grand Slam?
A grand slam is when you land all 4 main species of fish that are in the river presently, in a single day, by yourself.
King - Coho - Brown and Steelhead.
A combined Grand Slam would be a lil easier and when you and your fishing partner land all 4.
Yup, now is the perfect time to achieve this. Not many have, but it's always fun to try. Below is an article from Jeff P. of Mustad who had one of the most memorable days of guided fishing in his life. BIG numbers of fish, Unofficial 8lb. line class record Coho - weighed. (Photo on my website linked below) Plus a G.S. (He has fished all around the world with most of the top guides.) The Grand Slam's came easy to my 3 very experienced guest's that day. Plus a boat load of all 4 species in are area didnt hurt either Smile
-
[#ff0000]Countless people have been guided by me and most have gone on to live normal lives.[/#ff0000]
-
Fish ON!
Randy
-
SALMON RIVER PULASKI NY DRIFT BOAT GUIDE FISHING REPORT: Oct. 4-2012
The river is Loaded! You wont hear me say that to many times. Sssh, please dont tell anyone (Har-har) Top to bottom, from one side of the river to the other (within reason), holding, transitional, spawning. (As forecast)
Mostly King and Coho Salmon, with an occasional Steelhead or Brown Trout.
-
Where should I fish?
When folks ask me where they should fish. I always suggest to fish where you know the water the best. The entire river is on fire, so all habitat's are producing. Other ways to help you decide might be to do a search on the net for some of the many discussion, bulletin board, fishing report sites dealing with this area. Just type in "Salmon River Pulaski NY Fishing Reports" You can always ask them.
Also, the many tackle- fly shop's up here are always happy to suggest area's. Especially if you are spending some $ there.
The local economy and myself would like to sincerely "Thank you all" for spending your hard earned fishing income up here!
-
#'s of Fish?
Last major run of fish that entered was 5-6 days or so ago. Those fish have spread out. The river was black with fish. You could see them rooster tailing (splashing as they run the shallow rapids) from one side of the river to the other. You could see them as far as your eyes could see from top to bottom. Everyday we have seen many fresh fish enter the river. Amazing numbers! Everyday I see 100's of fish running by me in the early morning. Few have stayed on the move all day while some have settled into the holding water. Then, they either continue to run during the next low light period, hold or move onto that special rock.
-
Last week of guiding fishing report:
Every day my guest's that I am guiding have had a presence of fish with lot's of opportunity while wading the river with either a Fly or Spin rod. We have fished to many, played with a lot - lost a lot and landed some big'n's! (A couple were Trophy 30 plus lb's.) We normally do a combination of sight and blind casting. In some locations all you could see was a BIG black blob. (Average size of fish is 10 to 20 lb's) This would be a school - pod of fish holding. It's size would depend on the number of fish that were running that morning and then decide to hold for the day. It's size was anywhere from a car to a garage. We would then simple drift or offerings to them. (Just like we do for Steelhead) Some were players, while many were not.
One of my guest's asked me why many of these fish didnt want to play, while other's did. I replied that not all fish were intrested, but there are always a few that are. The trick is:
#1 presentation. (Nice presentational article below useing a Spin or Fly Rod)
#2 is patience and persistence to find the ones that want to play. These would be the more aggressive ones. You'll always find both types of fish whether low, mid., or up top on the river.
#3 Rigging - The easiest way to explain how I rig with fly rod or spin rod is simply to judge the education level of the fish. By this determination, determines all aspect's (I guess Ill save those for my clients Smile of how I rig for that day, time period, spot, etc... All the fish in the world are the same Smile
The above hold's true whether you are sight or blind casting. If we find a fish (or many) that simply are not intrested after following the above, we walk away and look for the players.
Every morning we go for a lil walk in the dark. Were fishing an area that has few anglers. I've met some reeel nice anglers over this season and we have all worked together nicely.
-
I always suggest to my guest's the below two tips:
4 Phrases we (you) use (yell) daily up here on this river at this time of our busy Salmon Season:
Fish on, fish off, com'n up, com'n down. The better we communicate with our fellow anglers the less tangles, fish break off's we have. Meaning the more fish you, they will land and the more time you'll spend fishing.
Pay Attention at all times:
By paying attention to what is happening above, below and across the river from you at all times allows you to give the right away to your fellow anglers who are playing a fish. As many of you know, sometimes these fish can run a mile, change direction in a blink of an eye and run as fast as a speeding bullet.
By following the above it makes for a very pleasant day when you and or including your partner, have other anglers around you.
The bonus is you also get to meet some reeeel nice folks as you pass them by or they by you while fighting a fish!
FISH ON!
-
Best Fish's,
Randy
(More Tips, Articles, Pic's and my usual Ramblings on website - fishing reports, linked above and below Smile
[signature]