Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help, I forgot-Rod building
I am building a 4'6" fly rod and have forgotten how the spline goes. I put the heavy end on the floor and bent the rod to mark the spline on the outside of the bend. Do the eyes go on the outside or inside? Its been 10 yrs. since I wrapped one.
[signature]
Found the answer-opposite the mark.
[signature]
Some say the marked. I don't think the big companies bother though. You cast in wind you cast in no wind.
(for the record, we do as you said, but only cause that is how we learned)

4'6" is going to be fun. I have a cannon in a 5'3".[Smile] and my Cabela Glass 6'6" is a blast.
[signature]
Opposite the mark. A fish-on should bend the rod along the spline, so the eyes on a fly rod go underneath the bend. Less chance of breakage due to high-sticking or other strong force.
[signature]
I'm kind of lucky SOB,I have been walking past these 6 fiberglass blanks in my basement for years and thinking to myself I should build a rod. Today I decided to do it, lucky enough there was enough stuff left from the store to build dozens. found a struble seat,a cool looking cork,titanium guides. I have to figure out what weight it will be still? I hope it isn't too hard to cast.
[signature]
Here is a method to help with figuring out what weight your rod is.

http://www.common-cents.info/caq.htm
[signature]
Do you know if it is E glass or S? Glass is all I have built[laugh]
[signature]
Thanks,cepierce! that link led me to this also. [url "http://suite101.com/article/how-to-determine-the-weight-of-a-fly-rod-a198459"]http://suite101.com/article/how-to-determine-the-weight-of-a-fly-rod-a198459[/url]
[signature]
No idea. I brought them in for Ice rods,so guys could cut them down and get either a liter rod or heavier depending on the end they cut off.
[signature]
I'll do the measurement but, I am betting it comes in around a #0 weight may be a #1. from that link there doesn't seem to be any real standards.
[signature]
The thing about Glass is it is a much bigger diameter for a lighter weight rod.
A 4 wt in graphite could be the size of a school pencil where the same sized glass the size of a Marker.

I have three glass blanks (plus one bamboo) I have yet to assemble. The hardware and CORK are the expensive part for sure.
I have a real nice Hardy glass I want to build this year for a Carp rod. Make it a two hander.
[signature]
" I hope it isn't too hard to cast. "
I have a 5ft 2 wt and to be honest it is very hard for me to cast. I love 6 and 7 ft rods and in general can cast at least decently with everyone I've every used. Maybe it's just the rod but I have the same model in a 7ft 2 wt and it casts great.
That said if you have extra of these 4'6" 0-1 wt rods and looking to sell some I'd love to try one and if I can cast it reasonable would probable purchase. Hope it works out for you regardless.
[signature]
The line can make all the difference as well. The 5'3" we have was a bear to cast using the Selective Trout in both WF and DT. We tried several Rio, Ridgeline, SA, but the final line that works wonderful with this stiff little glass is Wulff Triangle Taper.
Of course, Sharkskin works on anything[cool][Wink]
[signature]
Thanks FG,
I'll give one of those a try. I can always use it for another rod if my casting is still subpar with that 5 footer.
[signature]
I'm sure it will cast fine with a little practice,I have casted without a rod at all,just the line. I have 5 of those blanks left they will cost you a whopping $4.99 a piece.
Finished wrapping it today and it is on the turner drying now
[signature]
WOHOO! it turned out Sweet!! all dry this morning,took it out in the back yard and cast 30' of line and 10' of leader with a little double haul to help it along. I'm going to give it a day or two to cure then find a place to use it [cool]
Aprox. $80.00 in componants and 1-1/2 days labor. Could have done it for less-seat and guides.
[signature]
Don't we get a picture?
[signature]
What weight line did you end up using on it??
[signature]
I'll see if I can get a picture.
I had a reel with rio 3wt pocket water on it. It overloaded a little,but throwable.
[signature]