Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wolf pack question
Ok so I new to serious hunting in Idaho...I say that now because I have hunted in the past but not Serious. So my question is what do wolves chasing an animal sound like? I think I may have hear a pack chasing something but I am unsure. It sounded like hounds chasing a bear...it was off maybe 3/4 mile to 1 mile I assume, up hill from where I was. I just wondered because if thats what they sound like I'll go look for them so I can shoot one next time I go out...If its actually hounds I dont want to waste my time. Thanks in advance!
[signature]
I know what hounds sound like when running but not sure about wolves. Hounds when they are on track they have a long long bark and are running. Once they have treed or bay something up it is a strait up short bark and in one place. I would guess what you heard is hounds after a bear or cat. But like i said i dont know what a wolf pack sounds like hunting. I would guess it would be yipping or quiet. I always buy a wolf tag just in case. One day they will cross my path.
[signature]
I have been within 300 yards of wolves making a kill during the night and my brother has been in that situation twice. I've also heard it once during the day from a distance in excess of 900 yards. It doesn't sound anything like hounds on a bear/lion trail. Depending on your distance from the pursuit/kill, you wouldn't hear much at all during the pursuit until the wolves are actually making the kill. Then (if you are close enough) you'd hear the prey animal bawling, snorting, and wheezing, along with the wolves growling (sounding something like dogs fighting). Once the kill is made, you'd hear a lot of howling which will bring in the remaining portion of the pack for the feast.

Believe me, you won't mistake it for hounds on a trail.
[signature]
I could barely hear the dogs or whatever it was...I am guessing it was hounds by your experiences. This is the second time I heard them towards the same area..I wonder if its a pack of wild dogs? I saw dog or wolf tracks and scat in a small elk wallow in Sept...I assumed it was wolf. I'll post more as I find out or see more.
[signature]