Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are ice reels really needed?
Kentofnsl, you might be able to wipe some of the grease but it is not very easy. You are alot better off using a contact cleaner but nothing that is real bad like carb cleaner. What really works pretty good is WD-40. It will more than likely clean all the old grease out nicely. There are sometimes little springs and gears that are just sitting in there so be carefull not to invert the half that houses all the parts. You might end up with them on the table wondering how they go back. If it sounds like I am speaking from experience, your right.......Fishon
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If you are not a skilled reel repair person...or even if you are...it is not a good idea to completely disassemble a reel for cleaning and lubing. Some of the more modern reels are assembled by machine and are a nightmare to get apart and clean...and then put back together the right way.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been using Quantum Hot Sauce for several years to keep my reels working smoothly in all seasons. It is best when you CAN remove some of the gunk that accumulates inside the gears but you can sometimes just put a few drops of the Hot Sauce in through a small opening in the housing and it will migrate around and restore smooth action. It actually breaks down and liquifies some of that stiff silicone lube that turns to rock in cold conditions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have some reels that need tuning up I would be glad to help.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude]

[#0000ff]If you are not a skilled reel repair person...[/#0000ff]

[/quote]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
Unfortunately, as you are well aware, that describes me. (:

[quote TubeDude]

[#0000ff]I have been using Quantum Hot Sauce for several years to keep my reels working smoothly in all seasons.
[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][/quote]
[/#0000ff]

I have also been using Quantum Hot Sauce for years (you probably recommended it sometime way back when.) and it is great lubricant.

[#0000ff][quote TubeDude]

It is best when you CAN remove some of the gunk that accumulates inside the gears but you can sometimes just put a few drops of the Hot Sauce in through a small opening in the housing and it will migrate around and restore smooth action. It actually breaks down and liquifies some of that stiff silicone lube that turns to rock in cold conditions.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][/quote][/#0000ff]

I will give that a try.

[#0000ff][quote TubeDude]

[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have some reels that need tuning up I would be glad to help.

[/#0000ff]
[/quote]

Thanks.
[signature]
Ok hot suace might be better than the light reel oil I am using. I dont know that I have ever seen it. Where are you getting it??? Ditto on not taking the newer reels completely apart. I used to take them apart, clean and lubricate them every spring. Tried that on a newer reel and it was never the same[laugh]
[signature]
[url "http://www.cabelas.com/product/Quantum-Hot-Sauce-Reel-Lube/732170.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DQuantum%2BHot%2BSauce%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D24%26y%3D8&Ntt=Quantum+Hot+Sauce"][Image: s7_117468_imageset_01?hei=127&wid=127] [/url]
[url "http://www.cabelas.com/product/Quantum-Hot-Sauce-Reel-Lube/732170.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DQuantum%2BHot%2BSauce%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D24%26y%3D8&Ntt=Quantum+Hot+Sauce"]Quantum® Hot Sauce Reel Lube[/url]

$9.99

[cool][#0000ff]Cabelas. Sportsmans probably also carries it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have had to use it to tune up more than a few reels for Donna and the girls.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yup I think she has mentioned that a time or two.[laugh] I will have to look for the quantum hot sauce
[signature]
I have yet to hear of a complaint of an ice pole being "too weak", unless you mean the really "floppy" poles. They can be useful for dinky panfish, and for those that prefer to detect a light bite with no spring bobber - but I can't stand floppy poles because it's no fun to feel the fish on the line. (To each his own.)

I started with the short poles, and they have done fine with fish as large as you are likely to catch in this state. But, I learned to LOVE a longer 42"-48" poles as mentioned. Great for setting the hook and enjoying the play of the fish, and a spring bobber gives me more sensitivity than anything else. Best of both worlds.

I have some custom made poles, but RT makes some that size that serve me well and are not expensive.
[signature]