Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ATV on the Ice
Does anyone know which lakes allow ATVs on the ice? Really don't want to find out the hard way!
Thanks for the help,
[signature]
Strawberry and Pineview allow them but the rest, I'm not sure. I have seen them on the ice at Rockport One thing I found out a couple of years ago, each state park makes their own rules about allowing ATVs and snow machines. I found this when I ask the Willard park manager if he would allow them there. The problem is, when the parks manager changes, the rules can change too. If you can contact the manager of the water you want to fish, I'm sure they could answer your question. Now if we could just fine a phone number or Email address to all the state parks managers.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There is a button to click on the State Parks home page that will bring up an interactive map. Just click on the park you want and all of the contact info is displayed...along with most of the rules and regs. But seldom anything about ATV or snowmobile access. As you say, that can vary from park to park and manager to manager. The one thing that seems to be more common is that they allow snow machines on the ice only if they enter and exit from a ramp. That can be a problem with the areas around some ramps having bad edges at times...or the channel at the north marina at Willard often being thin ice. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[url "http://stateparks.utah.gov/parks"]http://stateparks.utah.gov/parks[/url]
[signature]
There is a channel at the north marina? ive been out to willard alot and i have never noticed one up there. but then again i always launch from the south marina. i would really like it if willard would allow machines on the ice this year there are a few places i would really like to try to fish on the ice i just dont want to drag my sled really far to get to them.
[cool][#0000ff]Attaching a map of the north marina. The "boat channel" is not very long but it is the narrow opening between the marina and the lake. During mild winters that channel does not freeze as thick as either inside the marina or the open lake further out. But it is the only legal access point for motorized transportation out onto the ice.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The south marina has been closed to winter access for the past few years. They left it open on a trial basis last year but could not justify the expense of patrolling it and maintaining it during a time when State Park budgets are tight.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have a wheeler or snowmobile there are definitely some spots on the west side that would be better to reach that way than driving around and trying to go up over the dike. That perimeter road is a killer at best. And snow levels can be problematic.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Oh i see i misunderstood what was said. yea i want to be able to get my snowmobile out there this year if they allow it. id like to go hit those habitat things they dropped out by the pig farm i was somewhat smart and tagged em on my gps while i was out on the boat. i think i might be able to catch a few crappie out there by those and maybe if the planets align and i hold my mouth just right i might hook a wiper. maybe even go see what would happen if i fish around the island.
[cool][#0000ff]You need to factor in the low water levels so far this winter. Some of the "structure" spots are much shallower than during high water periods.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, if you learn the "humps and bumps" out off the north marina you don't have to go far to find crappie condos. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Wipers have never been easy to catch through the ice and with the low populations this year it will be even tougher. But, if you find them you at least have a chance. And one of the best places to try is straight out from the mouth of the boat channel. It stays deeper than the surrounding lake bed for a couple of hundred yards and has produced all species for guys who work it right. Even numbers of winter kitties.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote redneck_delux] id like to go hit those habitat things they dropped out by the pig farm i was somewhat smart and tagged em on my gps while i was out on the boat. i think i might be able to catch a few crappie out there by those and maybe if the planets align and i hold my mouth just right i might hook a wiper. maybe even go see what would happen if i fish around the island.[/quote]

Is this "habitat things" that you are talking about something new, I've never heard of anyone dropping anything out there by the pig farm? I just got off the phone from someone that works at Willard, she said that I will need to talk to the park manager about ATVs and Snow machines being allowed, just as I thought. I'll send him an Email and see what is up, then reply back on this thread.

TubeDude- Thanks for the link, that should be helpful for everyone looking for info. Now if we can just get them to answer the phone[Wink].
[signature]
those habitat things i am talking about that i saw on my sonar are there. i dont know what they are or when they were put there. i dont really know anything about them, i just heard rumors they were put there a long time ago. every time i go over them in the boat the show the same spherical shape and they are evenly spaced so i assume they are man made.
Wasn't it two winters back they had the S. Marina open? I think the launch spot thing is in key most places.

I know they allow sleds and 4-wheelers on Hyrum, but I think it's only on-off from the launch. Mantua has had 'em all, and I think they load from the launch side. Hmmm - wonder, do they get pinged with the 5buk fee this year?

Now a place like the Pig is wakeless, so that would apply to power-machines in general, right?

I know folks take 'em to Pineview - haven't seen em on Newton, but the edges have been so iffy last few, - not sure what we'll have with all the low water, and slow ice building - at least SO far!!!

Is the habitat thing about the Xmas trees and tires? Be curious to know if there's been a more recent effort.
Here are a few of the reservoir, that I know about:

Deer Creek - no atvs
Strawberry - Yes atvs
Starvation - Yes
Joes Valley - No
Currant Creek - Yes
Flaming Gorge - Yes

I could get a more comprehensive list tomorrow.
[signature]
Yes, it was two years ago.
I don't think the $5 fee at mantua counts in the winter, I think it is only for launching boats.
I don't think the Pig counts, because it is not a managed body of water, as far as I know.
As far as the "habitat thing about the Xmas trees and tires", I really have no idea what he is talking about. I have never seen or heard of anyone seeing anything like that in front of the Feed Lot, I have along the West dike and that island that is on the South side of the North marina but the only thing I'm aware of that is near the Feed Lot is that old coffer dam. Who knows though, I find new things at Willard every year.
[signature]
This will be my first season of ice fishing and I grew up in the bayous of Louisiana. People lined the streets once when there were snowflakes falling, but they melted as soon as they touched anything. My point is, in answering my question, please answer for someone who knows nothing about the characteristics of the variable surfaces of a frozen lake.

I suppose there will be no restrictions for bicycles.

Can I ride a bicycle on the ice? The fishing bicycle I'm thinking of buying has big wheels and a long wheelbase and designed to ride on soft beach sand and large rocks. If it will work on ice and the various conditions of a frozen lake surface, then it will be ideal for me because I'm physically fit and a bicycle racer and will be able to have quite a range to fish many places on the lakes and reservoirs.

I'm about to buy my fish finder for ice fishing.

Ronald Smile
[signature]
I want to watch you ride a bike on the ice. Just let me know when and where you are planning to ride and I'll bring the camcorder.

I would imagine that there are a few time that a bike would work but if there isn't any snow on the ice or if there is alot of snow on the ice a bike would be worthless.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
That'll make a great You-Tube. Maybe it'll end up on Tosh.0 or something!

RPF - ever seen the ice-motor-biker racers? Think STUDS. Big problem potential. One thing about ice - it's not all you're dealing with. There's snow, there's slush, there's ridges and gaps.
The toughest days can be when there's NO snow at all - and you've got slick ice. Days when the action of turning the auger turns YOU instead of the blade!
Other days you might have 3 feet of snow, or a goey mix of snow and slush.
Even the 4-wheelers get bogged down in heavy slush.

Look at the photo a few up - of the sled/bike with treads - like a tractor or backhoe. Think of the Lost in Space buggy they used to drive around.
Maybe you can find some parts in the lot at Smith and Edwards.

As for Willard and structure - a couple maps I'd come across. Don't recall how far back (decade?) there was a project that involved tires and christmas trees dropped in the lake. Someone had some side scan imaging that really showed them. They refer to them as "artificial reefs".

The second map makes me wonder - if the lines extending into the bay aren't extensions of the roads outside the water, perhaps some of the roads used during the construction?
Well that is one map I don't remember seeing before. I have been by those spots marked as artificial reefs and I doubt that is what they are, there are some roads in those locations that were used as access points to remove dirt from the lake as they were forming the dike but I have never seen anything artificial there. As I said before, anything is possible but after seeing most of those spots with side imaging I don't recall seeing anything like trees, tires or cable especially around the feed lot but I would love to have someone to show them to me[Wink].
[signature]

Tubedude, I love your maps. They tell the whole story.
[signature]
[quote flashyfish2]
Tubedude, I love your maps. They tell the whole story.[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Not quite. No marks for exact fish locations. I have trouble figuring those out for myself.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you like the maps. I'm a map freak...in case you couldn't tell.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Don't let anyone tell you you can't try something, it could be awesome. If it were me I would only try it if I had studded tires which they do sell (I just googled it because I didn't think so) or you can do this http://inhabitat.com/make-snow-tires-for...-zip-ties/ which might be pretty awesome. A trike would be your best shot at being safe. A peddled transportation would have several pros if you think about it: Lighter than an ATV, no worries about regulations, quiet, clean, and you could easily pull your fishing sled behind you. Good luck out there!
[signature]
I did a bit of searching on the myths and busters of the artificial reefs. Couple snippets below:

I believe it was Mike4Cobra who posted the scan pictures.

Where is the island
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...efs;#16197

from Kentofnls

As promised I did some research about the island -- and it is definitely not made of tires; however, there are several sunken tires in Willard. Below is a response that I just received from Tom Pettengill: "I don't have any good information on what it actually is. Some one with the Bureau of Reclamation in SLC may be able to check their files and see for sure. It isn't made of tires. I can remember one year when the top was out of water and we did some electrofishing around it in the spring to see if the walleyes were using it for spawning but we didn't find any. The south side was quite jagged rock and it drops off more rapidly on the south side. I have heard that some of the humps and ridges in Willard were built as test dike sections to see how they would hold up and/or settle into the ground in the area but I don't know for sure if that is the case with the island. It did appear to have some pretty big rocks on that south shore (if my old memory is still accurate). We have put in some artificial reefs made of tires, cable and Christmas trees. About all that is left of the old ones is the tires and cable. One of those is in the area called "Mud Bay" south of the North Marina in some deep water behind that submerged island.. Another is down near the SE corner off Nerva Lane. Another that I have gotten snagged on in close to shore in the SW dogleg corner between the South Marina and the West Dike. Also out off the light pole is a bunch of tires and cables that you can lose lots of tackle on. I hope this helps. I'd be interested in the real history of the island if you find out about it. I did just check the file on Willard to see if we had any old documents and I found a small copy of an old map showing they did some ground penetration studies out near where the island is but it didn't show any test sites for dike sections or rock piles, etc. I couldn't see any obvious natural humps in the area either."

Thomas D. Pettengill
Sport Fisheries and Aquatic Education Coordinator
State of Utah
Department of Natural Resources
Division of Wildlife Resources
1594 W. North Temple, Suite 2110
P.O. Box 146301
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-6301
801-538-4814
801-538-4745 (Fax)
tompettengill@utah.gov

string structure
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...fs;#720732

from Therapist

Artificial structure has been a big topic in Utah in the past. The Willard Bay project was started by the Northern Utah Bass Anglers ( NUBA) back in the 80's. The reefs are made of old tires, cabled together with concrete and christmas trees added for flavor. They were built on the Dikes then lifted into place by National Guard choppers.

Another major project took place on Yuba in the late 80's. Charlie Thompson, then the Central Region DWR Biologist obtained several different artificial structures to test. They were placed in various locations around the lower portion of the reservoir. About two years after they were put in, the pond was lowered to work on the dam and before Charlie could get out there and retrieve them, some of our more conservation conscious individuals burned them. They also burned the Christmas tree reefs that were built on the exposed shoreline to be flooded when the lake came back up. Those were the last attempts to add structure in the Northern part of the State.

At Lake Powell, the Utah BASS Federation and the College of Eastern Utah Engineering Dept. were working on a floating structure that could be moved as the lake fell and rose. A prototype was built and placed at Powell, but there were several design flaws and it rolled over and sank. Several attempts were made to retrieve it, but I don't think that they were successful. The status of that project is still on hold, the design is workable, they just need to be able to build one that stays upright.

Regarding the use of artificial structures. Most of the literature on the subject reports that most artificial habitats are in use within 24 to 48 hours after being placed. The fishing docks at Wahweep have string type structures on them and they were attracting fish as they were being placed.

Several attempts to put habitat in other waters in the state have mostly been met with NO or HELL NO !! responses. Mainly, water users are afraid that such things will clog intakes or become hazards. No attempt to look at what happens in other areas of the country is made, just "get out of here and don't bother us".

Willard bay map
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...fs;#652242
fly_borg

Man -made brushpiles/Legal?
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...fs;#396748