Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White bass in Cutler Reservoir?
I don't think there are any white bass in Cutler. Can someone who knows more about it verify that for me? I have someone asking me where he can catch some at Cutler, and he thinks they are there. I have never seen them or heard about it. Thanks!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]They are not in Cutler "OFFICIALLY". And I have never heard of any being caught unofficially either. But I never bet against the possibility of anything being dumped by bucket bozos.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just about every other species in Utah can be found in the Bear River and impoundments, but white bass is not something you could ever plan a trip around.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Tell your friend to go after the blue cats or flatheads instead. Might have more luck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Quote:Tell your friend to go after the blue cats or flatheads instead. Might have more luck.

Haha. I always love your stories about that. From all the information I have, I know they weren't planted there. And if they were planted illegally, it wouldn't be long until we heard about them in there. I told him his friend probably just misidentified a crappie or largemouth.

But I haven't had anyone tell me they have caught one out of there. Nor can I find anywhere on the DWR's website about any suspicions of them being there.

Thanks!
[signature]
With all the Blue cats and Flathead cats that are in there one should have a great day, and a long night of cleaning the catch..[crazy]
[signature]
Might have been they just heard about our discussions with the fish and game requesting them to consider planting whities in Cutler. There has been a lot of fishing pressure this year on Cutler and I think we would have heard about the whities if they are in Cutler. I think you're probably correct it was a crappie misidentified. Cutler has been fun for me this year with crappie, walleye, small mouth, large mouth and channel cats. Not many at a time but a fun mixed bag. I didn't catch any of the bluegill, perch or trout that sometimes can show up, but I had a couple fun trips. Just wish it was a little faster action. Seems like hours per fish is kind of high on Cutler for me. Guess that's why we asked F&G to move in some whities. I'd like a higher fish density. Later J
[signature]
You were the culprit that suggested planting them at a meeting, were you not? You bucket biologist dawg you!

I'm sure it was a crappie, but it looked white - I've know folks to catch Walleye and didn't know what they were, and it was scary looking - so they threw it back.

It's been discussed around these parts - the notion of adding whitties, and musky to that puddle. I'll say again - I think the conditions in Cutler are much akin to that of Utah Lake, and I personally think white bass would be a great experiment. Not much chance for an "undo" if it doesn't work, so . . .
Yup I suggested it but I prefer to do it the legal way I like hunting and fishing way too much to ever take a chance on loosing that privilege. Plus I won't even drive to Utah county to go fishing let alone to try the bucket trick. I hate that traffic down there I'm fine to stay in northern most Utah.

At the time I suggested the whities, I didn't know the smallies were here in large enough numbers to make them fun so that adds another variable to the biologists equation. I doubt we'll ever get whities, but I like you, think they would do as well here as they do in Utah Lake. I guess the big issue would be what would they push out. We would probably lose the crappie and reduced numbers of everything else except carp. I'd hate to lose anything there's not enough to start with.

Hey speaking of white fish, I'm heading over Friday are you interested? A work buddy and I are going, and I know I mentioned I'd give you a heads up when I went. Let me know if that might work. Later J
[signature]
God I hope not! It would be nice to see some tigers in there to help put a dent in the carp.
[signature]
In the 35 years of fishing that area never caught White Bass above Cutler Dam, below I have around Bear River City.
Here is a list of the species I've caught at Cutler above the Dam
LMB, SMB, Walleye, Channel Cat, Perch, Crappy, BG, Green Sunfish, Yellow bellies, Carp(Common & Grass), Rainbow and Brown Trout, Suckers, Chub.
Smiles Always!
MA
[signature]
I caught a mountain whitefish right in the main body of Cutler back in the 80's. Wasn't all that healthy but there's one more to add to the species list. Have you caught many perch? I heard rumors of some up around where Summit creek dumps into the Bear but that was years ago. Oh a guy I used to milk cows with used to catch nice Cutthroats where the Cub River hits the Bear but maybe that's not part of this story. Later J
[signature]
Oh ya! I forgot about the Whities and Cuts yes I have caught them in Idaho below Oneida and Cub River pump house. The trout are few and far between around Cutler. The Perch hang out deep by the dam.
Smiles Always!
Ma
[signature]
Hey thanks on the perch local, I ran down the canyon last summer and graphed lots of fun looking stuff above the dam but didn't have time to figure out how to catch much, I'll have to return again someday and see if I can catch something different...

I guess the perch could have came from Newton runoff, it would be fun if they would do well and get some size to them, but as long as there has been perch in that pond and as few as are ever caught I don't think it's great habitat for perch... at least I've never seen or heard of any numbers that make me think they will even become more than a once in a while surprise... but that is one species I'd like to add to my Cutler species list, I've yet to catch one there... It is fun to have so many different possibilities there, if I didn't miss one I have 16 different species between our lists, that would make a good grand slam to try for in a summer or yearly goal...Later Thanks again J
[signature]
Go more North of Newton. Where am I?
Smiles Always!
MA
[signature]
Wow when was that? Does the spot start with an O? Nice batch of fish. You seem to have them figured out pretty well. Everytime I think I'm getting things figured out I get skunked again so I guess I better keep working at it. Later J
[signature]
I think I need to fish deeper when I'm up on "O" pond. Those rambunctious smallies always distract me from the their delicious, striped, buddies down below. Nice stringer.
[signature]
Ding Ding Ding! You are the winner! ONEIDA another favorite place of mine. That photo was in October of this year. Betcha my lucky straw fishin hat that the Perch at Cutler come from the Narrows as well as Newton.
I hear ya on that "SKUNKED" thing...all those who camped Oneida get skunked!LMAO!
Smiles Always!
MA

Another photo from a weekend in November...
[signature]
I hear ya kiddo them smallies distract me too! That place is crazy to figure out and I love it! When nothing will bite on the jigs and flies or the wind is blowin... throw on pop gear and slow troll the trout will play! Actually I've caught walleye and smallies on the pop!
Smiles Always!
MA
[signature]
You are probably correct, I think that is where the smallies and walleye came from as well.

What's the deal with the skunks in that campground I've never seen so many bold critters in my life. I think they need to open a thinning season up there and thin that population.

Well nice job on those trips. I guess thats why we didn't see as many walleye stories from you this summer / fall. Catching them upstream instead. Later J
[signature]
Phhh'Heck - I knew it was the big 'O' alrighty. Just weren't gonner say so. Wink

I'll have to start thinking about the drive up, stay over, fish like crazy - mentality. Maybe spring will bring it....

We do drag some nasty-ass big Walleye down river - like the one in your latest avatar (lucky hat 'n all!)

Ok - so I hit parts of the lower Cutler zone, below the dam, and ran into another species - wonder if anyone knows what it is. Could it be a shad? Silver - dark back, blue dot behind gill, blue tinge on lower side. Saw a swarm of 'em, and just couldn't help but think some big predator must waiting outside the school grounds, just itching to pick up a young date for dinner.

[inline Sprout.jpg]

[inline "Sprouts on River.jpg"]

We didn't count the minner species - like the fatheads. Not likely to catch em on a hook, but maybe in a net. Sometimes there can be a few gathered up...

[inline "Sprouts A Few.jpg"]

I'll have to give a perch-try up deep by the dam. Hear Crappie like the steep canyon walls too. It's a fair trip, for my little tug anyway. Was a fun night trip. Might have to do that again.
[cool][#0000ff]Gizzard shad. Illegal to keep and possess...or use for bait. Worse than bank robbery. No matter where you get 'em.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Of course they escape out the outflow of Willard and spread all over the marshes...and up into the lower Bear. Lots of 'em I hear tell. The big cats love 'em. 'Specially the flatheads.[/#0000ff]
[signature]