Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cabo Bite Report
[#000000][size 4]FLYHOOKER SPORTFISHING[/size][/#000000]
[#000000]Captain George Landrum[/#000000]
[font "Tahoma, sans-serif"][#000099][size 1][url "http://by106fd.bay106.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/compose?mailto=1&msg=E9B24425-C6D6-4EFA-86B7-D5501A565871&start=0&len=13726&src=&type=x&to=gmlandrum@hotmail.com&cc=&bcc=&subject=&body=&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000002&a=c34e9bb5eef4c0%20"]gmlandrum@hotmail.com[/url][/size][/#000099][/font]
[font "Tahoma, sans-serif"][#000099][size 1][url "http://www.flyhooker.com/"]www.flyhooker.com[/url][/size][/#000099][/font]
[#000000]http://captgeo.wordpress.com/[/#000000]
[#000000][#000000]Cabo FishReport[/#000000][/#000000]
[#000000][#000000]November26 – Dec 2, 2012[/#000000][/#000000]

[#000000][#000000]WEATHER: [/#000000][#000000]Onceagain the lowest I saw the temperature this week was 72 degrees, lowenough that I felt a slight chill (yes, I have lived where it hasbeen warm on purpose and maybe my blood is a bit thin, lol!). Withdaytime highs in the high 80's it was a great week. We had mostlysunny skies and a bit of wind from the north on most days, once in awhile shifting and coming at us from the northeast or east for a fewhours, then switching back. It's not time for sweaters in theevening yet, and I am a bit surprised since looking back over thepast 13 years worth of my reports it is normally five degrees coolerduring this week.[/#000000][/#000000]
[#000000][#000000]WATER: [/#000000][#000000]Thewater across the region was 81-83 degrees this week and once again wehad no major temperature breaks. The only anomaly we had was an 85degree hot-spot appearing across the 1150 and 95 spot on the 25[/#000000][size 2][#000000]th[/#000000][#000000]. The water on the Pacific side developed just a tinge of green latein the week while on the Cortez side it remained clean and blue. Thesurface conditions on the Pacific side were a bit on the bouncy sideearly in the week as we did have a fairly steady breeze at 12 knotsfrom the north, at least until the middle of the week, and combinedwith 3-5 foot swells (long period though, no real steep stuff) it wasuncomfortable for some people. The winds died off later in the weekand it was much more comfortable by the weekend. On the Cortez sideit was comfortable as usual with small swells at 1-3 feet and littlewind until you got 25 miles out or up past Punta Gorda a ways, thenthe effects of the northerly breeze began to be seen.[/#000000][/size][/#000000]
[#000000][#000000]BAIT: [/#000000][#000000]There was plenty of Caballito, a few Mackerel and a very limitedsupply of Sardina this week. The bigger baits were the usual $3 eachwhile the Sardinas, if you could find a boat with some to sell, weregoing for $25 a scoop.[/#000000][/#000000]
[#000000] FISHING:[/#000000]
[#000000][#000000]BILLFISH[/#000000][#000000]:Our water has remained warm enough for there to still be some Blueand Black Marlin around, and anglers have lucked into a few of themthis past week. I know of one Blue Marlin that was brought in andweighed that was 425 pounds, caught due south of us at 15 miles,there was also a Black Marlin estimated at 400 pounds caught up onthe Gordo Bank. Smaller Blue Marlin were reported as well, no greatnumbers but enough of them that the possibility of catching one wasbetter than most years at this time. The Striped Marlin action haspicked up, and I expect it to continue to improve as the water keepscooling down. Many boats are releasing two to four fish per dayusing several methods to hook the fish. Sight casting to Marlin seentailing down swell has always been a favorite here, and done by anexperienced crew can be a really beautiful thing to watch. Fortunately the fish were feeding in the feeding mood this week, asurprise since we are just coming off a full moon. The most commonmethod used this week is one of my least favorites, but veryproductive in certain situations. Using live bait bridled to thehook with 12 feet of leader, the leader is attached to the main lineand a 3 to 5 ounce torpedo sinker is attached to the main line justabove the swivel. The rig is lowered to just off the bottom anddrifted until a fish bites. This works very well when the fish areconcentrated in a certain area and won't come to the surface, or onlycome up in small flurries. The downside, and the reasons I don'treally care for it is that it is boring, with no action happening fora long time, and the fact that there is so much line out, and so manyboats using “J” hooks that too many fish are gut hooked andkilled. The use of circle hooks while fishing this way should bemandatory, in my opinion, but of course there would be no way toenforce it. It is effective though, and was used a lot this week atthe ledge off the Pacific lighthouse, the point off of San Cristobaland on the Golden Gate Bank.[/#000000][/#000000]
YELLOWFIN TUNA: The lack of consistent action on Yellowfin Tunacontinues to amaze me, but as I look over the past years reports Inoticed that the situation has been about the same every year, I amjust getting antsy for the good action to happen! On a very positivenote, there are still large Yellowfin Tuna being caught at the GordoBanks, with several fish each day weighing over 100 pounds and anoccasional fish over 200 pounds. The pressure on them has droppedoff and I think that with enough time spent fishing for them there isa good possibility of hooking one of these larger Tuna. How muchtime would be needed is a gamble though, it could be an hour or itcould be several days! Elsewhere, there have been football fish to12 pounds caught all along the coastline on the Cortez side with mostof the action concentrated on the northern inshore banks past PuntaGordo, but consistent (not red-hot) action has been found off ofPalmilla, Chileno and Cabo Del Sol as well. The smaller fish haveresponded to chumming with Sardina (if you can get them) while thelarger fish at the Gordo Banks have been biting on slow trolled livebaits and drifted chunks. Offshore action on Yellowfin has been veryspotty this week with only a few pods of porpoise holding fish. Myrecords show that for the past 6 years this has been true, and thefew offshore fish that have been caught have been found outside the1,000 fathom line on the Cortez side or north of the Golden Gate Bankon the Pacific side.

[#000000]DORADO: OK, Dorado have returned to the topof the list and regained their title of “Fish Of The Week”. While I would not say it is “red-hot” it is as good as I haveseen in a long time, and as it is fairly late in the season most ofthe fish are good sized, averaging in the 12-15 pound class withquite a few fish pushing the 25-30 pound range. Many boats have beenable to limit out on these nice eating fish fairly quickly in themorning, leaving them plenty of time to try for Marlin or Wahoo therest of the trip. Of course as with all fishing, the fish are whereyou find them , and getting in the right area was a necessity for agood catch. Trolling lures at 8 to 9 knots until hooking up, thenslow trolling live bait in that area was one way, and worked verywell. Leaving the first fish hooked up in the water until more fishappeared is an old tried-and-true method that continues to producegreat catches. The only downside of course is that your fish maycome off while using it as a decoy! Great action can occur whenfrigate fishing. Trolling as normal while scanning the sky forworking Frigate birds, then running over to where they are workingand tossing out live bait is exciting and very productive. Thesebirds are not out there for sport, and they have much better eyesthan we do so using them as spotters makes all kind of sense. We hadseveral clients who limited out on Dorado early in the day this weekusing this method. Remember, the limit on Dorado is two fish perday, per person. If the Captain and crew have licenses they cancount in your catch as well![/#000000]
[#000000]WAHOO: This full moon phase has been greatfor Wahoo, not the day of the full moon but the days prior to andjust after gave us steady action on Wahoo the ranged from 5 pounds(wee-hoo) to fish in the 40-50 pound class. Almost all the actionoccurred close to shore along the ledges, areas ranged from Vinoramaon the Cortez side to Todo Santos on the Pacific side. Almost anypoint and any steep drop could hold these speedy fish. Fishing withRapallas, Marauders, steel leader bullet head lures and riggedballyhoo worked well. More fish were lost than caught since theirrazor-like teeth cut through mono leader easier than a hot knifethrough butter, but a lot of them were hooked in the corner of thejaw, that allowed anglers to get them to the boat. Not every boatcaught these fish, but there were enough of them around that you hada decent chance. [/#000000]
[#000000] INSHORE: As the water cools down we havehad a slight improvement in the inshore fishery, but most of thePangas are still targeting the Dorado and Striped Marlin just off thebeach. Those that are working the beach areas are finding decentnumbers of small Roosterfish (to 15 pounds), and occasional earlyYellowtail and and few early Sierra. These Yellowtail and Sierra aresmall ones, and I am going to get out this coming week and try tocatch a dozen of the small Sierra to freeze up for rigged Marlin baitfor next year! There have been decent catches of Snapper and Grouperon the bottom and plenty of Needlefish and Bonito on the surface. [/#000000]
[#000000]FISH RECIPE: Check the blog for this monthsrecipe! [/#000000]
[#000000]NOTES: With Thanksgiving vacation over andChristmas yet to come, we are in a traditional slow time of year whenit comes to the numbers of visitors we see. What this means for youis less pressure on the fish stocks and a better chance of hookingup! The weather is great, the fish are here, the whales are startingto appear and the golf courses are in great shape. Ready for avacation? This weeks report was written to the music of ErnestRanglin, if you like guitar, you have to listen to his version of“Stop That Train” from his album “Memories of Barber Mack”, avery infectious, toe tapping jazzy Jamaican instrumental! Until nextweek, tight lines![/#000000]

[#000000]And as always, George writes this report

and posts it on Sunday morning. So if you

can'twait, click the "FOLLOW" on the top of the

page! You will know whenever something new is posted!
[/#000000]

[#000000]http://captgeo.wordpress.com/[/#000000]
[signature]