Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunset Pond Stocked 5,500 rbt?!?!?!?
Has anyone ever heard of Sunset stocking this many? I haven't visited yet, but I can't even imagine there being that many trout in there, that is a ton of fish. Anyone have some inside info? Is this just one big stock for the whole season, or will they regularly stock about that many?
[signature]
That does seem like a lot. I seem to remember the number being around 2k per stock, but I'm not sure. Did you get this from the NDOW website? If it's true, I'd probably grab a trout stamp and go for a mid week trip.
[signature]
yup I confirmed it here's the link http://www.ndow.org/fish/stocking/south.shtm
[signature]
11/28/12- Sunset Park Pond -5,440 - 9.2"

11/14/12- Boulder City -4,950 - 9.1"

11/6/12- Floyd Lamb Clark -6,300 - 8.9"

Pretty good early season dump - should be good fishing at all the local puddles
[signature]
Right before the Floyd Lamb plant there was mention of equipment problems that caused the local pond stockings to be done one pond per week. The first week Floyd Lamb, next was Boulder City, then Sunset. I think what they did is one month's stocking in one day in each pond. Everything should go back to normal starting this week.
[signature]
Just an FYI part of the south end of the pond is fenced off, still under construction, so its shoulder to shoulder fishing for super dink size trout, I think the 9.2" average size was a bit of a exaggeration, I went out this morning and the biggest fish I seen was maybe 8". and that's pushing it. not worth my time or gas, I can get bigger trout for smoking at the grocery store. [mad] I had an overall bad trip to sunset park today. between it being cold and breezy, my reel malfunctioning cause its old, the crowd, the limited fishing area, the size of the trout. all bad...[Wink]Think I'll stick to Lake Mead 1-2lb stripers & catfish, and carp. [fishon]
[signature]
man what is the problem??? they've been doing construction on sunset for over a year now, I can't believe they still haven't finished whatever it is that they're doing. I miss fishing sunset on cold mornings. But you're right, I'm sticking to lake mead too...maybe even a trip up north for some real trout fishing
[signature]
If I recall correctly, the expected finish date is mid 2013. Considering it is a gov't project, I wouldn't be surprised if it took longer. haha
[signature]
While Sunset isn't ideal, it does provide a quick and easy fix for a fishing addiction. Even if I am only out there an hour or two, its nice to gt aay and relax.

The one thing I can't get past are all of the ducks and all of the duck "ish".
[signature]