Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Ice Report- 12/27/2012
Just a quick update, a buddy and I headed uplake yesterday to scope out the ice conditions on the Gorge. The furthest south we found safe ice was just below the Confluence, near the upper end of the Currant Creek cliffs. We fished on the eastside of Lost Dog where the ice was 5-inches. Ice was clear with 6+ inches of snow on top. There was some ice forming in the backs of bays near Buckboard, but I'm not sure of the thickness.

We only fished an hour and iced 6 pups (20-24 inches) and a 28-inch burbot in 60 ft of water. All of those came on a 3/8 oz Buckshot spoon, tipped with sucker meat.

Hope it helps, Ryno
[signature]
How was the road getting down into list dog? I have 4wd but its a new truck to me this winter, don't wanna get stranded
[signature]
We drove in from the eastside of the reservoir, so I can't really vouch for the Lost Dog road specifically. There was a lot of snow, deep in places (up to a foot), but it was light snow and we were able to get through without any difficulty (in 4WD of course). The Lost Dog road is always an adventure though, whether it's the washboard or drifting snow. There's usually a lot of vehicles coming and going on the Lost Dog road, compared to the two track we went down. Good luck, Ryno
[signature]
Ryno you're my hero. Just the report I've been waiting for.
[signature]
Thanks for the report Ryan, one question about your statement, you said you came in on the East side of Firehole, now you have me wondering, if there is access to Firehole from the West side? Sounds like you guys did good for only fishing for an hour.
[signature]
Curt, we were actually on the east side of Lost Dog not Firehole.
[signature]
Oops, my bad[blush], I was thinking the ice was thicker than that a FH but I did not realize there was a road on the East side of Lost Dog.
[signature]